Advantages of Membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of Membership

Hi Everyone, I found another advantage of being a member here on this forum. First off let me tell you all that my wife hates computers and that's okay but she likes to talk on the phone. Well I have a dial-up connection for now. hehe I want to use the phone, you are always on the computer I wish I could use the phone while you are on there. LIGHTBULB Here's my opening. I could get a DSL connection. I wish you would. Hey Thanks for making me feel so welcome here it has advantages at home too. Steve P.S. They are hooking up my DSL on wednesday!!!
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Congratulations on getting DSL.
    I have two separate phone lines so my wife can talk on the phone any time she wants while I am busy on the computer. Sometimes I am on the phone and the computer at the same time
    You are lucky you have access to DSL. Where I live about 12 km out of the nearsest town and up on a mountain side there is no local DSL access and probably never will be so I am stuck with 56K dail up service but I do have unlimited access time.

Satelite DSL is available to me but at $600.00 hookup and $50.00 a month for a starter package with limited access and a 12 month fine print contract to sign I think NOT .

Oh well, after I get a little more ancient I may move to town and whiz around the sites on High Speed and do more consulting and less work.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

Something new on the horizon is high-speed internet through your electrical power lines...it's coming according to all the people I talked to at the show I just returned from in NYC.

Bob
      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I know the electrical meter readers are dreading the thought since it will eliminate their jobs, but I have heard of the modulation of data on the electrical service is just waiting for implementation too.

It wasn't that long ago when all we heard about was the cable telephone war.
        Heck I was ecstatic when I got a 2400 baud modem. Much faster than the telegraph we used to have, back when I was a boy
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I'm still waiting for something other than satellite DSL. It's the only option we currently have living in the boonies.

Hopefully something will change soon. Either through the phone company installing something this far out or through the electric company. We spend very little time on line at home. Usually only if it's necessary. Too slow with dial up.
          Kelly
          "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

Hey Bob and Carl;
            That's a new one on me . Do you have links to any sites that I could check out about that? There might be hope for me yet up here on the mountain side. Yes we do have electricity here and it costs plenty but it may be more reasonable to have the price of internet added on to my electrical bill because the satelite option is out of the question. I wonder how far in the future we are looking at for that new technolegy.
            W.Y.
            http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

We can get that new fangled satelight inner net here but it shore am espensive-- it's higher priced than a far to middlin milk cow . The elestisity boys don't have nare nuttun to do whid it netter-- they has one of dem dare compianies of blue sommthn sommthn that does all that fancy dish installin. Peers to me as many dishes as I have around here they could use some of mine- but noooo they have to use thars. Seems like a wast of good money to me cause they aint no faster than that there DSL.Which I have to wait for my telephone man to come fix mine.. Oh well just thought I give a holler on what I know bout that there new satelight-- a fool and his money soon part-- I must be smart cause I aint gots no money --
              Sharon

Comment

There is a company here in Hamilton, called FibreWired. They are affiliated with Hamilton Hydro Services, they have been using hydro lines for years to provide internet service to businesses outside the normal range of a telephone service. Where I work, we have a very weak internet service because our computer server is too far away from the Bell Telephone hub. I received a quote from Fibrewired to have it brought into our building.
                It is very expensive, and I'm quoting from the quote I received.
                Installation $ 2500.00,
                Monthly charge for usage $ 824.00
                I don't think there are many private citizens who would want to be paying internet charges this high, for this service. This company does have a website for any one who is interested in taking a look.
                it is www.fibrewired.com,

Just my 2¢ worth
                Marsha
                Last edited by Marsha; 10-30-2006, 12:51 PM.
                LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

They were talking about it at the magazine management show I went to...basically talking about how magazines NEED to produce an online edition because this is coming, and soon 90% of the population will have it. I guess they are still working out the technology, and as soon as they do, the price is going to plummet!

Bob
                  www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

There's a lot of competition on this side of the pond amongst ISPs. About 50% of households have broadband (ADSL) internet connections and it's very common to have cable TV, telephone and internet packages bundled together for about £17 per month (roughly $32 US).

It'll be neat if one day we can get these services even cheaper due to competition from electricity companies .

Gill
                    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Imagine what that is going to do to the phone companies? With Voice over IP phones (Vonage, etc.) you can eliminate landline phone companies totally...many people do that now with Cable modem, but this will be even easier...

Bob
                      www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

I would suggest keeping a land line, non portable and or a cell phone.
                        If every thing is on the cable and you lose power you are done.
                        We just lost our power for a day an my neighbor couldn't figure out why her phone didn't work. Cable

I had one phone with a cord that worked, we have very poor cell reception in our neighborhood.

Just a thought
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I've already gotten rid of my land line...cell phone charger in the car...I don't use VOIP either, but my friend has his hooked up to a UPS, which is good for 2 days. That's what I would do if I used VOIP, but I never use all my cell minutes anyway, so...

Bob
                          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Dsl

Hi Everybody, well they got the DSL line in and man what a differance. I went from dialup to 256k and the speed increased by at least ten times. Plus the wife can use the phone now while I am on here.hehe Steve
                            If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
                            My Gallery
                            [email protected]

Comment

`

Wow good to hear you like the Dsl Steve- I have everything ready for mine except waiting on my modem to come by UPS. My phone company has me on a plan that gives me 1.5 mp of broadband plus 2 hours of free long distance , plus all the bells and whistles on a land line for the same price I was paying for just regular land line with no long distance or frills. I am anxious for my modem to get here cause downloading a game takes forever on dial up. and I wont have to pay for AOL any more -- horray!!!!!!
                              Sharon
                              I have always kept a corded phone hooked up in case of power failers I can still have a phone for emergencies.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X