Bird help needed......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bird help needed......

We have a covered little entry way leading into the house where I like to hang flower pots. I noticed a couple of birds always around one of the pots, they would fly out whenever we opened the door, and fly around me. Don't especially like that idea........upon further investigation this is what I found. A little nest with one egg in it, but it is on the top edge of nest. Anyone advise me to move the egg into the bowl of the nest so it won't fall. I too was wondering if I could move the flower pot so the birds won't poop in the walkway as they do now. Would the mama bird be able to find the nest? I was thinking of moving it to the glider swing about 20 feet away from where it is now. By the way, the flowers are artificial.....guess the birds don't care.
    IMG_6441 (Small).JPG IMG_6439 (Small).JPG IMG_6438 (Small).JPG
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

What type of bird is it? If moved, a predator bird might spot it.
    Roger

Comment

The birds are working hard to protect their nest from you. As for moving it or putting the egg in a bowl, I wouldn't do either, but I'm one of those people who raise birds and squirrels that fall out of nests. The entire nesting and fledging time for the babies will be around 6 weeks. Could you stand it that long?

Jan

Comment

If you disturb the egg or nest some birds will abandon them. If at all possible just leave well enough alone it will be short lived inconvenience for you. You could try and move the entire basket away from your entry way but not too far.
        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Ramjet they are sparrows........well guess I will leave the flower pot alone, I don't want the mama bird to abandon her little one. Jan I meant move the egg further into the nest the sunken in part, not get my cereal bowl out there. We do feed the birds and squirrels out back, and enjoy their antics.....nature at its finest. Thanks for your reply guys & gal.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Update on our tenants, must have thought I was bringing food, I'll leave that to their mama. Think there is 4 of them in there.
            IMG_6473 (Small).JPG IMG_6474 (Small).JPG

Comment

They must have hatched very recently. Any movement around the nest causes them to open wide and wait for food. You'll be surprised how fast they will be learning to fly. Enjoy them.

Jan

Comment

Be nice to them or they will find your just washed car.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

ROLF!!!!!!! Please don't disillusion her!

Jan

Comment

You said that there are 4 birds in the nest, do you know that if they survive the first year and start a family of their own that you will have four new nests close to this nest

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                      Bruce, the one on probation
                      by will8989
                      is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                      Today, 12:59 AM
                    • will8989
                      Sundays market
                      by will8989
                      When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                      Today, 12:46 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                      by will8989
                      I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                      Today, 12:27 AM
                    • jim_mex
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by jim_mex
                      Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                      Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                    • KarlB
                      Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                      by KarlB
                      Very well done!

Karl
                      Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                    Working...
                    X