Vintage Hand drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Hand drill

I brought this Shoulder/Breast drill a few days ago at a garage sale for $4 it was covered in gunk and gummed up but i have stripped it down and cleaned it up (no sanding or wirebrushes) it is now fully useable again, it is Australian Made by a brand called Mit-A-Mit and i cant seem to be able to find any information about the makers does anyone know anything about it???
    Attached Files
    Last edited by darcy2460; 06-03-2012, 02:44 AM.

Looks like a nice find,they are handy.
    Tony

Comment

Beautiful! Gotta love those old tools.
      Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Thnx i love finding old tools, its the first shoulder drill i have come across,
        so im prety stoked i have also got a growing collection of Brass-faced pocket balances

Comment

I have one that looks similar, but it was made by Goodell Pratt. One of those tools that sits in a place of honor, on display, it has done it's work and now it's time to remind me that an electric switch makes things easier than in my grandpa's day.

Comment

Hi Darcy - this link shows what I think is your drill

'Mit a Mit' drill brace - Tools -Other - Office, Workshop & Farm - Carter's Price Guides to Antiques and Collectables

Just to let you in to a tip to find this type of item. Try using an Australian search engine. I used the Australian version of Yahoo and searched on 'Mit-a-Mit tools' and up popped this link.
            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

A great find. Now JohnB will get on here and tell us he is still using one!
              Jim
              When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
              Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

And again Darcy - courtesy of another link to a Mit-a-Mit shaper I found out that your drill was manufactured by the Metalcraft Engineering Company of Sydney which appears to have gone 'walkabout' around the mid 1950's.

I suppose if you could get in touch with the city archives office you may be able to dig up a little more information on the company. One thing is certain, they made a lot of carpentry hand tools and machinery such as shapers and lathes

I also found one reference to a Mit-a-Mit egg beater. As usual my brain went into overdrive on that one as I instantly imagined our forum pal from Oz, JohnB, whisking up an omelette with a bent nail stuck in the end of his Mit-a-Mit hand drill !!! I wouldn't be surprised if his workshop wall is splattered with the evidence of by gone days!
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

I've got an old egg beater in my tool box, and Dad has the shoulder drill I used to use. It is a beaut, geared. Can't remember the brands but will have look later.
                  Regards
                  John
                  "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
                  Some of my Stuff
                  Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X