Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popocatépetl Volcano caught in the act !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popocatépetl Volcano caught in the act !

Hi folks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jim_mex; 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Actually those are better pics than I was expecting from your description. Thanks for sharing. That is beautiful country side. I don't think I would get much sleep if I lived in Puebla.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Jim, I guess that is what we call "Just letting off some steam" As long as that is the only thing it does.
      Hawaiilad
      Larry

Comment

As always, sweeeeet pictures. Thanks for sharing.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I agree with Mike..
          Those are some pretty cool shots...!!!
          Oh, and judging by the look of the thing in the third photo, I'd say you've got a fungus problem, not a volcano...lol.
          Thanks for taking us along Jim...
          You lead the most fantastic life..
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Pictures are great and your experience is fantastic. I think it is close enough for me....Close-ups are nice but not when I or someone I know is involved.
            Diane
            Dragon
            Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
            Owner of a Dewalt 788
            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Those pictures are very good Jim, good job. You saw that and continued your trip? We have of few of those giants around here and they do make folks nervous. Just over the hill are "The Sisters". Along with others around here they are volcanoes. The Sisters have had almost daily earthquakes for the last couple years and they are beings watched. Along with Mt St Helens, Mt Hood, Mt Baker, Mt Rainer, well, here in the NW It ain't a mountain unless it has a snow peak or steam coming out of it. And we got a few..
              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Thanks folks for the comments - today I'm off with the family to visit a newish museum in Mexico City which hosts a collection of Mexican popular folk art toys and I'm hoping to have some interesting photos to share later on the forum. If the sky is clear and not too hazy we should catch another glance of 'Popo' but this time from the north western side of the volcano.

Regarding the concerns of keeping a good distance from these volcanoes. It does seem that around the world we human beings have a knack of setting up camp in the vicinity of potential natural disasters. Chuck mentioned his proximity to various volcanoes in the NW which reminded me of a NatGeo documentary I saw a while back which singled Mount Ranier out as being one of of the most dangerous potential disasters in the making should it ever decided to explode. The predictions of damage which could be caused by pyroplastic clouds and torrents of boiling mud flooding down the surrounding valleys in the direction of Tacoma were frightening to say the least. It's little wonder that a heavy dose of faith mixed with good fortune plays an important part in the lives of folks who live near to these slumbering giants.
                Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

For taking the pictutres from a moving, bouncing minibus with a load of roudy kids, I think you did pretty good. The pictures do tell an interesting story.
                  Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

There was an other this morning in the same part as before.
                    Nobody got hurt.
                    FD Mike
                    SD Mike

Comment

How close is too close to a valcano?

Great shots Thanks for sharing them.

Comment

I guess too close is when the hair on your arms sizzles while you take the picture.
                        Diane
                        Dragon
                        Owner of a Dewalt 788
                        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

I guess too close is when the hair on your arms sizzles while you take the picture
                          Hi Diane - That would be definitely close enough for me although its not unknown in violent eruptions to be showered by lava bombs at distances up to 3 - 4 miles from the cone and when these air cooled lumps of lava can measure anywhere between a few inches to up to a few feet across they can certainly do some damage.

The good news regarding all the studies of 'Popo' is that it will probably continue puffing out clouds of steam mixed with ash for the foreseeable future and is unlikely to reach the stage where a major eruption will occur. Having said this the danger of any strong exhalations is likely to come from mudslides, possibly hot ones, should its activity continue in the winter months when fresh snowfall covers its upper flanks - yes folks we do get snow in Mexico!

In a emergency brought about by a major eruption it is estimated that if you are within a radius of 10 - 12 miles of the cone then you could be in serious problems. Best not think about this!
                          Last edited by jim_mex; 06-05-2012, 07:02 PM.
                          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Wow! Jim...I guess it is better to buy a very good zoom lens.
                            Diane
                            Dragon
                            Owner of a Dewalt 788
                            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                              Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                              Today, 12:59 AM
                            • will8989
                              Sundays market
                              by will8989
                              When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                              Today, 12:46 AM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                              by will8989
                              I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                              Today, 12:27 AM
                            • jim_mex
                              Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                              by jim_mex
                              Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                              Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                            • KarlB
                              Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                              by KarlB
                              Very well done!

Karl
                              Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                            Working...
                            X