Really yummy low-fat chocolate angel food cake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really yummy low-fat chocolate angel food cake

For anyone who is a chocolate lover, but has to watch fat and calories, this cake is for you.

My son asked me for the recipe I use, and to help him with the technique, I promised to make him a YouTube video. His cake was a success, which is impressive since he doesn't bake, and beating and folding in egg whites can be tricky.

So, just in case anyone is interested, here's the link:
    Easy to Bake Chocolate Angel Food Cake - YouTube

And yes, I will get back to the shop one of these days! Can't live by cake alone.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Sorry? Low fat and chocolate do not compute....LOL
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

What.......no mask or hearing protection in the kitchen.
      Last photo in the video sure looks sweeeeet!
      Never made an angel food cake, just may give it a try.
      Thanks for posting your video Carole.
      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Did one similar for my wife's bible study group years ago and served it with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream.

She did not bring any home from the meeting, so I have to make the assumption they liked it.

Chocolate angel food is just enough of a rarity that it always draws attention. Thanks for sharing.
        Jim
        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

Hi Carole - there ya go tempting my taste buds again!

Great video with your usual really clear instructions.
          I'm not sure if I could find one of those extra terrestrial cooking pans this side of the border so I might have to adapt a galvanized bucket to cook the cake in to give this a go.

Got one technical question. regarding cutting the cake away from the pan. Could you maybe line the pan with a sheet of paper, much as you do a souffle, to save cutting the cake out?

As to the recipe - definitely sounds yummy. The only thing that maybe I'd change is instead of using the vanilla I'd either stir into the hot water a couple of teaspoons of a good quality soluble coffee which I find gives a nice kick to most chocolate cakes, or alternatively, my own special down and dirty trick, blend in a couple of spoons of a dark navy rum. Terrible I know, but I love it!

PS - Good to see that my namesake and pal also dabbles in the kitchen too. You definitely can't keep good men down!
          Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim and Jim,

Nice seeing some guys handy in the kitchen. Gloria, you've got to give this cake a try.

Jim, I think if you dissolve some instant espresso powder in the hot water along with the cocoa, that should give you a nice mocha. Or, you could just use coffee as the dissolving liquid for the cocoa.

I did some research about the need for the center tube, and it seems to be necessary for even baking. Some sources suggest a ceramic cup. There's a metal cup that's sold for use with large layers (see my wedding cake video) that might also be usable. The pan sides need to be straight, and the batter needs to grab them for the cake to rise properly. Maybe using parchment to line the bottom would work--there would still be the sides to hold it firm.

Guess you won't know until you've tried!
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi again Carole - thanks for the extra info. I think I have the answer for the metal tube and that base seeing as I have some thin aluminium sheet in the work shop to play with. As to using paper, I see your reasoning but maybe I'll give it a try.

As to what to do with all those additional egg yolks, I usually make lemon curd but for other ideas this link is worth checking out

Recipes to Use Up Extra Egg Yolks (Food and Whine)

I'll let you know what happens later
              Thanks again!
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• cwmagee
                Pegas Large Scrollsaw Table
                by cwmagee
                A couple of months ago I ordered the Large Pegas Scroll Saw Table for my EX21 from Denny which I received about a week later. I installed it immediately and made a few test cuts. Since then I have been busy with several Urban renewal projects around house as well putting the yard to bed for the winter....
                Yesterday, 07:28 PM
              • Rolf
                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                by Rolf
                Back in the late 90's I bought a Incra 2000 Miter gauge. Incredibly precise. The problem was that it only adjusted in one direction, It rarely gets used. It locks in to half degrees. More recently I bought a Kreg fence which has a pin that precisely locates the frequently used angles.
                That is...
                Yesterday, 08:15 AM
              • Jimern
                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                by Jimern
                The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                Yesterday, 06:29 AM
              • will8989
                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                by will8989
                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                10-20-2020, 11:10 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Farmers market
                by will8989
                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                10-20-2020, 10:31 PM
              Working...
              X