Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hope Jim in Mexico is OK + jumping beans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope Jim in Mexico is OK + jumping beans!

Jim I saw on the net Popocatepetl Volcano has been active and I hope you are not in that area. As we have Volcano problems here on our Island as well (one has been giving up hot lava for many many years) I know you don't want to be to close to that thing.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Hi Larry - thanks for your concern.

Fortunately, my home town of Pachuca, Hidalgo state is about 160 kms (100 miles) north of Popocatepetl - El Popo or Don Goyo, as the locals call the volcano - and our only real danger is that due to our altitude, 2500 m, we sometimes get ash particles and bad smells wafting in our direction from particularly strong eruptions.

Last week the town of Tizayuca, just 40 kms south of us was reporting some incidences of ash falling in the streets cause by strong prevailing winds from the south blowing in our direction but over the past week we have had quite a lot of heavy rain in the late afternoons which seems to be preventing the ash getting any closer.

The volcano regularly spouts large vapour clouds mixed with ash due to the fact that its peak and crater are covered with snow at this time of the year and the hot gas eruptions boil the snow into steam but it does seem to have been snorting and puffing more than usual the past month and the area around the volcano has been put under alert and closed to all but local farmers.

Despite the fact that the locals put their faith in God and the belief that a major eruption won't occur in their lifetimes 'Popo' is a recognized active volcano and a disaster in the making and if it ever does really blow its top the damage and loss to human lives is likely to be nothing short of catastrophic. Apart from the large number of small villages which populate its lower slopes it lies too close to the sprawling metropolis of Mexico City for comfort. Here's hoping a major eruption will never happen...

Hopefully in the week the rain clouds will clear and I'll be able to take Kevin up into the hills at the back of our town from where at around 2800 m altitude you can get a long distance look at 'Popo' on the horizon and often see the massive inverted triangular ash and vapour clouds it produces. Even from our distance the immense size of the vapor clouds is pretty impressive, however, that's really as close as I want to get to the snorting giant!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 05-13-2012, 04:40 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for checking in Jim and for the informative post. Glad to hear you are not in harms way.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Glad to hear that you are ok Jim
        Diane
        Dragon
        Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
        Owner of a Dewalt 788
        PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

And here I thought it was just Jim having eaten too much frijoles...
          ....sorry, couldn't resist....
          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
          No task is too tedious for Art.
          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Glad to hear your not near the volcano and are safe.
            sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
            To all who serve or have served, Thank you
            Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

And here I thought it was just Jim having eaten too much frijoles...
              LOL Jim - now that would have caused an eruption of epic proportions!

Actually you wasn't far from the mark bearing in mind one of the nicknames of the volcano ie. 'Popo', is also what Mexican's and especially youngsters, refer to as faeces, as opposed to 'Pipi' which is urine. So you could say an explosion of 'Popo' could well be caused by too much beans!

Now Jim, you see how once again how you've managed to turn what I penned as an honest informative post reply to Larry's preoccupied question onto the subject of lavatorial humour. You really do have a one track mind pal! The only problem is that I do tend to like it - LOL!
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

When Jim and Jim get together, you never know where things will end up. Actually, you do, but that's the fun of it.

But seriously, glad you're OK, and hope things stay stable with Popo.
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Jim, just keep your "Beans" there in Mexico....don't want any of them infecting our Volcano and it wanting to blow it's top (so to speak!!)

Remember the Mexican Jumping Beans? Are those things real? Haven't seen them since I was a kid. Boy this post sure took on a mind of it's owns
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

Never saw a real Mexican jumping bean--don't those things have worms in them? All I ever saw were made of plastic with something in them to make them look like they jumped.

Now that would be a really cool scroll saw project
                    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey Larry / Carole - you sure know how to push this thread off topic!

First of all 'natural' Mexican jumping beans are real and you can still find them in local tourist markets without a 'made in China' backstamp.

The bean seed is not actually a true bean but comes from a bush of sorts however the seed does resemble a bean seed in shape. Carole was on the right path regarding the worm inside the seed except that the worm is really the lava grub of a local moth which lays an egg inside the maturing bean seed. When the lava hatches out it feeds on the inside of the bean.

The reason the seeds jump around is that the growing lava inside doesn't like to get too warm and so if you place the seed in a warm spot it will jerk its back abruptly to move the seed away from the heat hence the jumping action. The lavae can live for several months inside the seeds as they grow and so the seeds will keep on jumping for quite some time but eventually they will pupate and turn into adult moths which will eat their way out of the seeds and escape for a short lived adult life of a few days.

One word of warning with these 'jumping beans'. If you leave them in a warm place for too long the lavae will dehydrate and cock their toes. No more jumping thereafter, just a quick soar to lavae heaven - LOL!

As to scrolling one of these 'jumping beans'. I think we should leave this to Carole to make a couple of small hemispherical bowls attached to the ends of a short tube. With a hefty sized steel ball bearing inside this concoction she should end up with a nice 'jumping bowl' project!

Over to you Carole!
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim, that story sounds a bit like a story....but knowing you, I'll bet it's all true. I remember those beans when I was a kid in Ohio....now how did they get all the way up there....yea I know, they jumped!!
                        Hawaiilad
                        Larry

Comment

I remember when I was a kid, I felt bad for the worms inside. So after a little amusement, I would open the beans and let them go in the woods...
                          I never would have thought that they would have found their own way out...Ya learn something new every day..
                          Thanks Jim..
                          Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I remember when I was a kid, I felt bad for the worms inside. So after a little amusement, I would open the beans and let them go in the woods...
                            Shucks Jim! - your little bit of kindness would have killed the little critters since they rely on the food inside the bean to feed them up to pupae stage after which they transform into the moth which eats its way out of the bean shell.
                            Never mind pal. I'm sure your heart was in the right place. I only mention this to make you feel a little more guilty! Terrible aren't I - LOL!

@Larry - me make stories up? - never!

Now that would be a really cool scroll saw project
                            @Carole - I hope your ears have been burning the past 24 hrs because my neurons have bean jumping around like crazy thinking about turning this idea into a project. I think it would be real fun and already have the design formulated in my mind but first I have a balancing dragonfly to make, then maybe a jumping bean. Heaven knows where this could end up - hehehe!
                            Last edited by jim_mex; 05-15-2012, 02:27 PM.
                            Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

<sniffle>...hmph...(sigh)
                              Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rhys - I did finally get the center stand for the bike a couple of weeks back after it was stuck in customs for almost a month. Still have to put it on. The paddock stand will help me do this - Lol!

Of course you are correct in that the center stand does a similar job but the advantage...
                                Yesterday, 11:14 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Did you ever get the centre stand for the bike? A paddock stand does the same thing finally, I guess.
                                Yesterday, 11:03 PM
                              • Hobbyhorse
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Hobbyhorse
                                Brilliant stuff Jim. Congratulations on the layout and the workmanship, but most of all enjoy it.
                                Yesterday, 10:58 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by KarlB
                                Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
                                Yesterday, 09:41 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
                                by KarlB
                                Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
                                Yesterday, 09:31 PM
                              Working...
                              X