Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Walnut Tree

Hi Everyone:

I have a dead walnut tree that needs to come down. Anyone interested in getting it down can have the wood. I live in Sacramento. I am afraid it will come down and take out my storage unit, one of my fences or one of my grandchildren or dogs. I have no clue what killed it. But it has been dead for at least three years now.

P.S. I am Oily's sister.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by njikoka; 05-06-2012, 01:50 PM.

WOW, it looks like there is no bark left on it. Looks almost like a birch tree. I'm from the midwest & they sure look a lot different when they still have the bark all on them. Would be some nice wood there if someone will work for it. Good Luck
    PERK

Comment

There is a disease that is affecting Walnut trees. It is bad enough that almost 1/3 of the states have put a ban on moving unprocessed Walnut with bark across state lines. Here is a link to that disease. You may not be able to ship it across state lines.
      Thousand Cankers Black Walnut Disease
      Here is a link to what I could find for California.
      Thousand Cankers Disease - TCD in California

DW
      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
      John Wayne

Comment

Nope the bark is on it. It is just that color and always has been. Interesting huh?

Comment

I got walnuts off it after I moved here for 2 years and then next year nothing at all. I never heard of that disease and I haven't seen any little bugs or anything. It just died. It sprouted at the bottom the next two years and then completely died out.
          Last edited by njikoka; 05-06-2012, 11:48 PM.

Comment

That is a sad situation & I didn't know it was happening. The walnut is a special tree, because of all the beautiful things made from it. I love to make things with it, in particular, the base for desk top items. I sure hope it doesn't get any worse. Thanks for the info.
            PERK

Comment

Gosh, I wish someone locally would help me bring it down. I hate to just haul it away.

Comment

Hi Oily's sister

I don't think you are getting any volunteers because most of us scrollers are not set up with the proper equipment. To take a tree down and cut it into manageable boards usually requires a sawmill.

I would suggest you check your area for a local sawmill. If the tree is not bug infested to the point where they have destroyed the wood there is a chance the sawmill will take it down, haul it away, and even pay you for it.

Good Luck with it.
                Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Thanks Tim. I will look into that or maybe post it on Freecycle.org.

Comment

You probably want someone qualified and insured too.
                    Steve in Richmond, VA with a DW-788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jim McDonald
                      Reply to Bible stand
                      by Jim McDonald
                      A quick Google search for fretwork book stands showed pattern on Pinterest. Might be worth a look.
                      Today, 12:39 PM
                    • Quartz43
                      Reply to Spring Issue
                      by Quartz43
                      I agree that with fret work the grey areas may be useful but not needed for Intarsia and some others. It would not be difficult to use grey for some patterns and just lines on others.

Another thing to note is that not many have the ability, software or equipment to stitch patterns back...
                      Today, 11:02 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                      by Rolf
                      This is only my opinion.

Hi Linda, My first reaction is it looks good, and my new toy craving started to twitch, but I thing it will be very limiting very quickly.

It is a small engraving machine and if that is what you want and need maybe OK. You are limited to 1/8 shank...
                      Today, 10:25 AM
                    • millwab
                      Reply to Peanuts #1
                      by millwab
                      I still have some puzzle blades from Ben Fink. Once I run out of them I’ll have to ask Denny what he recommends for a substitute....
                      Today, 09:56 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to Spring Issue
                      by Rolf
                      [QUOTE=Quartz43;n873079]No doubt, the large patterns are a real challenge. Not many have a large size printer. Going out and finding a place to do large scans and prints is problematic with the virus and many of us are older.

I wish they would not print the patterns with the grey. Pure...
                      Today, 09:47 AM
                    Working...
                    X