Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan
    replied
    I have a friend who does beautiful open work on bowls like those you've shown in the photos. He uses dental tools.

Jan

Leave a comment:

• Dick-Miraglia
    replied
    Originally posted by B'ville Scroller View Post
    Dick and everyone ... Great photos. That's my husband's maple burl platter in Dick's original post. I laughed that he got recognition on the scrolling website!
    Barbara: That burl platter was beautiful, one of my favorite's. It deserves to be shown on multiple forums, even the design and decorating ones. Sorry you missed the gatherings...an incredibly friendly group.

PS. In my mind, I awarded your husband a ribbon!

Leave a comment:

• B'ville Scroller
    replied
    Dick and everyone ... Great photos. That's my husband's maple burl platter in Dick's original post. I laughed that he got recognition on the scrolling website! I am sorry I missed both scrolling evening events. We have a standing gathering both night that we attend while in Saratoga. It is a gathering at the Parting Glass of members of our club in Syracuse that attend the show and stay overnight one or both nights. On Saturday we even were entertained by a 25 piece pipe band that was holding a fund raiser for their trip to an international competition in Scotland (our ears are still recovering!).

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Although it's not in the same league, the Roehl and Spielman book shows open work on some of the bowls. I tried it--and it's a bear to get it right.

However, if the walls of a scrolled bowl are thin enough, there's no reason why incising cannot be done. You do need a uniform thickness because once you make cuts, irregularities are noticeable. Certainly worth looking into.

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    Originally posted by paul44224 View Post
    I also want to thank you guys for the pics. Some incredible work! I was also curious about the fretwork on the bowls.
    Paul
    I started a new thread in the bowls forum that kinda shows how this can be done.

Leave a comment:

• Dick-Miraglia
    replied
    Norman and Paul: The work that was done on the "fretwork" on those bowls was absolutely beautiful. I was also intrigued by the technique. It was not done with a scroll saw. In the vendor section, they were demonstrating and selling the tools used to do this. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of this tool but I believe it was made by Porter Cable. They used a device to hold the bowl accurately and cut into the bowl very precisely with this cutter that looked somewhat like a Dremel rotary tool. It had a sharp cutter that looked something like a short drill bit. It was impressive in how crisp and sharp the cuttings were. It was also used to make those parallel grooves at the tops of some of those vases and the radiating cuts on the plates. If someone can fill in the names of this equipment, please do so. The vendors at this show present such an incredible variety of new gadgets, sometimes two days is just not enough time to see everything, especially all the demonstrations.

Leave a comment:

• paul44224
    replied
    I also want to thank you guys for the pics. Some incredible work! I was also curious about the fretwork on the bowls.
    Paul

Leave a comment:

• ASDLF22
    replied
    Thanks for the pictures - that is some unbelievable work.

Leave a comment:

• north wood clocks
    replied
    Just love to see pics like that. Cannot possibly be there in person and it is sooo verrry nice of you to share the pics so we can imagine.
    How are the fretwork bowls created? They are intriguing.
    Last edited by north wood clocks; 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wood Dog
    replied
    Thanks so much Dick, Scott, and Don for those fantastic project photos.

Leave a comment:

• jowshu98
    replied
    Saratoga Project Pics

Here's a few projects I found interesting. A lot of really great and inspiring pieces. Two of my favorites were the celtic bowl and the dress. I really liked how movement was captured in the piece.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Trout
    replied
    thanks for all those pictures....all I can say is...WOW!

Trout

Leave a comment:

• Dick-Miraglia
    replied
    Photos Four

Thanks, Scott. You just saved me a lot of work. However, I did want to make sure that everyone saw these two, by Carole and JackM.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dick-Miraglia; 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dick-Miraglia
    replied
    Photos Three

A few more to see.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• NC Scroller
    replied
    I can't claim these a mine but I found this photo album of all the good work that was displayed at the show.

2012 NWA Showcase & Totally Turning - a set on Flickr

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bill Wilson
    Reply to Visitor question
    by Bill Wilson
    Dirty & cluttered have been co-mingling in my shop for so long, I can't tell the difference. 😁...
    Today, 04:26 PM
  • will8989
    Reply to What is it?
    by will8989
    Yes, but what is it used for?
    Today, 02:15 PM
  • Jim McDonald
    Reply to What is it?
    by Jim McDonald
    Four partially drilled holes in a block of maybe oak?
    Got to remember, I am pretty simplistic.
    Today, 01:57 PM
  • theframer
    Reply to Sue Mey's site
    by theframer
    Thanks for the advice Linda, I may have to do that. The future bride and groom are avid golfers so I would like to do something special for them. Also I am Godfather to the bride and I'm very humbled that she asked me to do this for her.

Rick
    Today, 12:23 PM
  • Rolf
    Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
    by Rolf
    Tony have fun, There is a great lightburn forum on face book also for Orture I would assume. What size did you get?

Linda, With the laser engraver I just jumped in and then realized I had bought something that was very limiting and started to research after the fact. I know better, but...
    Today, 10:02 AM
Working...
X