Brother had heart attack, show judging today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brother had heart attack, show judging today

What a really strange day I had today. While I was getting ready for my judging this morning my sister-in-law calls me and informs me my brother had a major heart attack. He had total blockage of one artery and 3 others are 80% blocked. They put in a stint and "fished out" blood clot causing the blockage. They haven't decided what to do with the other 3 yet, medication or stints, or whatever they do. From what I remember Robbin telling me, he will need major heart surgery sometime down the line but I don't remember what she said for. I just talked with him and he is doing ok. He is in Lancaster Co. so I will be going up there tomorrow to see him.

Not knowing what to do, hubby told me to go to my judging and take it from there. I felt like another person was doing the talking for me. It was quite interesting. They asked all kinds of questions. It was 1/2 hour of questions and answers. They were very nice people and interested in what I had to say. They wanted to know how I sold besides at shows. I told them I did special orders and the one clock was actually a customer's order and I told him he couldn't have it until tomorrow. Hubby put in his 2 cents worth which was really quite valuable. They have 4 woodworkers and only allow 5 of a particular vendor in to keep things interesting. I got the feeling if someone didn't come up with something better, I would be invited. If not, I was guaranteed a spot for next year as they were rotating out a woodworker. They only keep you for 4 years unless your item is in demand, like the man who makes children's board games. Note to self - take lots of children's items. I also sold $100 worth of items!! I told hubby I was putting it away and if I got in, that would be one third of my fee!! LOL

Bottom line, please say prayers for my brother. He's the only sibling I have and would like to keep him around for a long long time. He'll be 59 next month. The show? If I make it in, fine if not fine also. Kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

That is mixed news. Sorry for your brother and best wishes for a full and rapid recovery for him. Travel safe to go see him. Great news on the show. I hope you wowed them enough to get in....
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Betty so sorry to hear about your brother. Evelyn and I will keep him in our prayers and we pray for a safe trip for you.
      Sound like the show went well hope you invited, and with the great work you do they really need to.
      sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
      To all who serve or have served, Thank you
      Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

So sorry for the news of your brother, hope he'll recover soon!
        Good news about the show, thumbs up for you!!!
        Frieke
        www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

Betty I hope you are accepted into the up comming show, but I know the health of your brother is on your mind right now. IT sounds like he is in good hands and will be taken care of.
          Hawaiilad
          Larry

Comment

Hope that your brother has a successful recovery. At least he's in the right place to get the care he needs. 59 is just a baby--may he have many years ahead of him!

And good for you, hanging in and not falling apart. Sounds like whichever way it goes, you've made an impact, which is not surprising given the quality of your work.

I hope tomorrow is calmer, with good news all around!
            Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

you an your brother are in my thoughts
              Tricia

Comment

Wow, What a mix of emotion for you..
                I'll definitely keep your brother in my prayers...

...and Congrats with the judging..It sounds like you made a great impression...
                Even despite the trouble at home...
                Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                No task is too tedious for Art.
                Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hi Betty - sorry to hear about your brother. I hope he makes a speedy and good recovery.

Best wishes for the show.

Please keep us informed on both counts.
                  Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                  - Albert Einstein

Comment

Betty -- Too bad about your brother's heart condition -- but it is wonderful that he got medical care. Now that he has had a strong warning, we pray that his condition can be managed.

Good news on the show. At least you know that you'll be in next year -- and we hope you'll be in this year.
                    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Betty sorry to hear about your brother. Glad to hear though that he is getting the treatment that he needs. Get him into scrolling if he has not been. It is therapeutic as you know. Praying for a speedy recovery of your brother.

DW
                      Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
                      John Wayne

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your brother's heart problems. There is so much that can be done to correct circulation to the heart these days, that I'm comfortable saying that he should do well and be on the road to recovery quickly.

Good to hear that you are getting proper respect and recognition from the show judges. Best of luck on that.

Jan

Comment

Betty, so sorry to hear about your brother...thoughts and prayers are extended to him and your family for a speedy recovery!

Now about the show...I have followed this post (or should I say subject) with great interest. I have never heard of a live audition for a juried show...a very, very interesting approach! IMHO I think it speaks volumes about the quality they are expecting...and that is why they invited you to audition, that itself is a great honor. I commend you on how you kept it all together, after the terrible news, and how supportive your husband has been thru all this! I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that they see all the wonderful items you can bring to their show. Please keep us posted in both aspects.
                          ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Kim, it was quite interesting to say the least. I just treated it like a show, set up like a show, had an abundance of items and about 90% of the questions asked were questions customers ask at the show. So I felt very comfortable, just not quite there. They were interested when I told them all wood was sustainable lumber and hubby went on to elaborate that the corner cutoffs from my baskets turned into the angels & birdhouses! One lady was there while I was setting up and she had 5 glass items - vases, wine glasses, etc and explained how she did the etching on them. Another one, was a jewelry smith (?) and explained her entire process. Then one came after me and didn't even have a table cloth for the table! GO FIGURE! They were more interested in the process. If you couldn't explain that, then you didn't know what you were. I would have liked to hear you explain your Liquid Barbedwire. That would have been interesting!! LOL

Now, off to see my brother. He's doing better. Thanks for the prayers everyone.
                            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Sorry to hear of your brothers heart attack, Betty. Our prayers are with you & with his quick & healthy recovery. Be careful traveling to see him, & Good Luck with the show also.
                              PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by meflick
                                got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                                Today, 08:21 PM
                              • Jo Labre
                                Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                                by Jo Labre
                                At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                                Today, 11:13 AM
                              • hotshot
                                by hotshot
                                The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                                Today, 10:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                by Rolf
                                Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                                Today, 09:32 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                                by Rolf
                                I haven't even decided what to make!
                                Today, 09:27 AM
                              Working...
                              X