Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old shingles- new facia/cladding board - strange combination

Hi folks
    This past weekend I made a marathon one day circular trip into the Italian Dolomites in and around the ski resort of Cortina d'Ampezzo, an absolutely fantastic day which I'll be sharing more info about in a follow up post as soon as I can sort through a ruck of photos I took.

Whilst driving over one of the passes though I came across a restaurant which had a really weird looking combination of old fashioned wooden roof and facing end shingles combined with some spanking brand new facia and cladding board work. It struck me as being such a curious combination of old and new I took take a snap of it to share with some of my carpenter friends on the forum. So, here it is.

For JimSawyer - you asked if I could take some photos of wooden scroll work on buildings. I suppose those shingles may well have been scrolled!

To Tim (evilbadger)
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

That looks like a... errr… two pretty cool buildings. Do you know if they're finished or did you catch them in progress?

--Rob

Comment

May be a good project for Mike Holmes.

waynemn

Comment

Hey Rob - I spoke to a guy in the restaurant who was part of the family who owned the place and he told me that they wanted to leave the shingles because the original building was very old and also its situated at the top one of the main passes in the area - the Pordoi Pass - which gets an incredible amount of tourist traffic, making it a very popular attraction. He also told me he gets many tourists taking fotos of the shingles!

As I was taking the fotos there was water streaming off of the roof from snow melt but according to the guy the place doesn't leak so despite the ragged look those old bits of wood still do their job!
        Last edited by jim_mex; 03-14-2012, 01:06 AM.
        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
          X