Classroom with a view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classroom with a view

I just returned home from taking a Wilderness First Responder Re-certification course. I took the course at the south rim of the Grand Canyon. It was strange to be at the center of tourism as opposed to where I normally work about 60 miles upstream from here, but I took full advantage of being there by watching the sunrises and sunsets over the canyon. It got into the 40's during the day and around 20 F at night. So rather cool. Here are a few pics. The whitetail deer was one of 4 bucks munching grass around the parking lot. Unfortunately, they are quite accustomed to being surrounded by people.

Although the heater didn't work in the classroom and there was a bit of a distraction, we all managed to tough it out and pass the course.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mtnman; 02-26-2012, 12:46 AM.
    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Wow Jim! - what an incentive to go back to school!
    I seriously hope that one day before I cock my toes I get chance to visit your workplace. When you see how insignificant those folks look against the canyon in your last shot it really does blow your mind just how magnificent is the place.
    Keep posting pal!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

That's got to be the coolest classroom ever and don't mean the temperature. A bit different from looking out at the play ground. I would like to get there one day too. Thanks for the amazing pictures Jim
      Mick
      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Breath takingly HUMBLING .Vivid display of our __________________,I'll let... you fill in the Blank ,as it's personal ,for me it's complete aww!and sm. jolt as to my own self importance and abilities ,kind of like a trip to church when your paying attention ! Thank you!
        M.V.B.
        Carl
        "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
        Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Amazing how we can sit in front of our little computer screen to view beautiful photos of real places. I for one am very thankful for all the great photographers we have in our "family" here.
          School was never like that for me.............bet you passed with an A+. Thanks for the pictures Jim.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Jim
            My wife grew up in Flag and she is going to love looking at these pics. I sort of wondered though that if I was happily skipping along the rim, then, ooops!, I went flying over the side, tumbled for 25 minutes all the way down to the bottom of the canyon then was laying down there on the bottom moaning and thinking just before I pass out "oh, i'm in for it now - those rangers really frown on people not taking the path to get down here" then I pass out only to be woken a little while later by a guy that looks human but has aqua blue green hair saying "hi, i am here to help you" - I just wonder what I would be thinking just then . . . . .

)

John
            I've Got A Lot More To Learn
            About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
            "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Jim_M & Mick-- I too hope you get to see it. Let me know when you are coming, and I'll be happy to play tour guide. Yes, it is a wonderful place to get edumacated. <wink>

Carl -- Yes, it is inspirational to be there. Does show just how small we as humans really are.

WD -- "great photographer" I ain't.... I just have some nice subjects. Always happy to share.

John -- The class was all about how to deal with folks who have an "oops" moment out in the wilderness. I just hope that I never need to use the skills that I learned in class. Flag is a nice place. That is where our office is -- although I only go there to load up prior to a trip or to unload after a trip. Otherwise, my "office" is in the canyon.
              Mtnman Jim

Comment

Ok Jim, I am now thinking about making plans to come back to Phoenix and this time I will take you up on the guided tour!! I would love to see this in person!!! Thinking about the first part of April. In the meantime thanks for sharing the pictures!!!
                Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

Kathy -- Let me know when you are coming and I'll try to be available. I do start my canyon work in April, so am busy the middle of the month. Take care!!
                  Mtnman Jim

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X