Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever taken music lessons as an adult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone ever taken music lessons as an adult?

.....So, I was thinking about learning how to play guitar. Not electric, but just an accoustic guitar, maybe to do chords and stuff.

There is a local music store in town which gives lessons. I'm a bit intimidated, because everyone always says that it is very difficult to learn a new instrument as an adult (I'm 42), but I'm seriously thinking about giving it a try.

Has anyone else done this? If so, how did it go?
    Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Hey Shawn - I tried taking lessons once, also for guitar, but I wanted to learn initially by ear and the teacher insisted I learn music notation as a priority and it frustrated me silly. I just seemed to be note dyslexic and quickly gave up trying. Later I tried with another teacher who taught using chord diagrams which I thought was a lot easier to understand and I would have probably stuck with it had not my work situation changed and I just ran out of time and commitment.

For me your age as got nothing to do with it provided you can allocate the time. Hey, according to HHGTTG, 42 is the meaning of life isn't it? LOL!

Give it a try and see how you go and if you don't like the method or the teacher maybe you can look at alternatives. The fact is you have given the matter some thought which indicates it's of interest to you so why not just go out and indulge your interest. What have you got to lose apart from being told to stop chewing your nails! Nothing ventured, nothing gained pal!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

You're never to old to learn! So go and chase your dream...
      Frieke
      www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

I got a few lessons on the base guitar a few years back,but i had too travel about 25 mile too the teacher,this soon put me off,all i wanted too do was play at least one song well,kind of a party piece.
        If your guitar is tuned proper,look up guitar tabs(tableture) on the net,this shoes finger position and beats etc,possible too learn this way,but a tutor would be better.......good luck if you take up lessons.
        not doing much
        and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

I've taken piano and flute lessons as an adult. Admittedly I already knew how to read music which probably made it easier for me. Personally, I think you should do it. It's fun, it can be frustrating, the sense of accomplishment is great and it's for you, not for everyone else. Like everything else you've done in your life, music takes practice and determination. It's worth every minute spent on it!

Jan

Comment

Go for it Shawn!

I'm about two months ahead of you on this and having a blast. My two big goals for this year were to learn guitar and to get back in the woodshop. I'm making good progress on the first (and the scrollsaw is almost accessible again).

While it may be harder to learn as an adult, I've been able to build up a lot more dedication than when I tried in high school (quit after 3 weeks ) and that makes a huge difference. If you practice daily and are somewhat disciplined in what you practice you can do it. I committed to at least 15 minutes a day, but usually far exceed that (there have been a few "are you still up" conversations at 2am).

I'm currently taking a group lesson at a local community college and supplementing it with DVDs and online information. Free guitar lessons : Complete Beginners Method and loads of Blues, Jazz and rock : Learn how to play Guitar free here! is a really good site. Once the CC course is over I'm going to sign up for private lessons. If you have an Xbox and go electric (or can add a pick-up to your acoustic) then RockSmith is a fun way to encourage extra practice.

--Rob
            each day you delay just puts you farther behind

Comment

Yeah..... you all pretty much convinced me to give it a go. I think I'll swing by the music store on Monday and see what they have to offer for "old" folks like me. I imagine most of their students are kids, but maybe I'll be surprised.

Jim, I'm kind of the same way about music.....although I know how to read music (I can play piano a little-not great), I really want to learn the guitar more by ear. Maybe get some theory out of it, and learn how to do some chords and stuff.

Rob, we'll have to keep in touch with how things are going along. Maybe we can do a recital in a year or so, and roll out "Mary Had a Little Lamb." LOL. Seriously, though, it's cool that you're pursuing it as well, and I appreciate you sharing your experience with me.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts!
              Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by Arcy View Post
                If you have an Xbox...

I had an XBox, but encountered the dreaded "Red Ring of Death" a few years ago. It was out of warranty, so I never had it fixed. I did however see a video on YouTube showing that it could be fixed with three pennies and some duct tape, so I'm oddly intrigued.
                Shawn Ferguson

Comment

Remember, it only takes 3 chords to play a simple song. 4 if you start getting fancy.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                    Remember, it only takes 3 chords to play a simple song. 4 if you start getting fancy.

Jan

The Axis of Awesome agrees, Jan!

Axis of Awesome - 4 Four Chord Song (with song titles) - YouTube

(warning....a few explicit words in the beginning)

LOL, I always get a kick out of that.
                    Shawn Ferguson

Comment

WOW...That was insanely hilarious Shawn...
                      Thank you so much, I'm still laughing while I type this...HAHAHAHA

I picked up a harmonica, which I haven't done since Jr. High, and blew my own mind. (no pun intended.)
                      I would sit with a friend who was learning guitar, and had some good sounds, and we would sit up til all hours of the night jamming...It was a blast..!!

I think if you can feel the music, then you've got it in you..It just takes time and practice to bring it out...

Good luck, and keep us posted....
                      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                      No task is too tedious for Art.
                      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Great link Shawn - Axis of Awesome have a new fan! As for you pal, one good lesson to pick up those 4 chords and you should be able to take to the road! LOL!

PS - one thing I did forget to mention earlier. If you can sing a song with a reasonably melodic voice then all you need are those chords. One of my other reason for packing in the guitar is that mating bullfrogs have a more melodic tone than I do! Hey, you can't win 'em all pal!
                        Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                        - Albert Einstein

Comment

The comment from Jim brought back memories - and now I have "Canned Heat - Live at Topanga Corral" on the turntable - turning out 7 minutes and 21 seconds with "Bullfrog Blues"!
                          Ivar ("treslakter" - read as "woodbutcher")

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Comment

Shawn, go for it! I've been playing guitar for over 60 years. I was taught 3 chords by my dad when I was 9 years old and I took it from there. It's been a very rewarding thing for me because I did it for a living for a long time doing a lot of traveling. The first song I ever learned had only two chords. There's a lot of simple songs that only has 2 or 3 chords and actually, the guitar isn't terribly hard to learn. I play about 5 different instruments and the guitar has been the easiest. Good luck and have fun with it. David
                            My grandbabies are what keep me going

Comment

Hi Shawn, Like guitarman I was shown 3 chords by a friend of mine about 35 years ago and since then I have never stopped learning. I haven't played professionally but my greatest memory was playing on stage with Bryan Adams in Sheffield about 15 years ago. He invited members of the audience up to play different instruments to form a band to play Summer of '69. I jumped at the chance to get up there as I had had some dutch courage. I was the oldest guy on stage but I felt like a young rock star for 10 minutes, it was awesome. Go for it Shawn I wouldn't be without my guitar and scroll saw they are the best ways of chilling out I know. By the way those 3 chords were A,D and E and are very easy to learn.
                              Mick
                              I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X