Warranty period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warranty period

Last August I purchased a RO Sander (a Porter Cable) from Lowes. Yesterday I noticed sand paper would no longer stick to the pad...velcro doesn't work on the sander. Was going to town today and took the sander back to Lowes with the recpt. and told the girl at the return desk my problem............ What does she do????? She looks at the recpt. and laughs out loud!! She said you bought this last August, I agreed, she says we only warranty it for 30 days...do you expect it to last forever????????????? Needless to say I asked for her boss.....yep, you guess it, the boss said only 30 days. OK, I know not every store is like Costco (which allows you to return most items no matter how long you have owned it if you are not happy with it) but 30 days..... I know I can buy parts for the **** sander, that is not the point. Prices keep going up on everything but we are not to expect they will last long enough for us to try to wear them out......Now I have spoken my mind about this, but I really don't feel any better about it.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Check with the company. The store only will exchange it during the first 30 days. After that it is sent out for repair. It should be under warranty for one year by Porter Cable. Check the litterature that came with it and get in touch with them.
    Diane
    Dragon
    Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
    Owner of a Dewalt 788
    PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Been there ,but spoke with person capable of intelectual thought ,who told me ,what I already knew ,and that is it is the weakest point in the system and recieves unrelenting pressure by the nature of the actual sanding as well as tearing off the female disc 's plus heating up the male receptor and all the grit and dust they have to eatin the process and that while it was extreamly convienent was subject to early failure ,I could not in all good concience argue with any one of these facts ,the sander worked great ,the pad velcro was the weak point ,so I made a new pad ,bought ind,strength self stick velcro ,and replace when it wears out. I know it is not what you want to hear ,but all "ALL' those type sanders have the same weakness .I have even had to replace the rubber pad on my 4x4 clamp sanders when they have finally failed . His last comment ,was the one I remember the most ,because I have known him for many years ,was ,IT one of those times when we have to put on our big boy pants on and except facts we don't like ,but we know are just the way things are some times we expect too much ,when we know it has to be a weak spot ,until some one makes bullet proof velcro ,convience is what we are buying.

M.V.B.
      Carl
      "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
      Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Carl you are correct, the pad is the weak part of sanders, but the other 2 sanders I have lasted much longer than 8 months. Yes I have replaced pads many times (E-replacmentparts.com is great), but the point is, they seemed to think the sander would only last a few months before it would need to be replaced.

Diane, I do intend to call Porter Cable and understand the store only says the only exchange durning the first 30 days, but I know I have taken back other items before I have owned for much longer. Perhaps they are doing it differently these days. I sure wish our Costco carried sanders...I would buy from them right away.....maybe I will check they on line store..Nope, they do not carry them on line or in the store..Oh well
        Last edited by Hawaiilad; 02-24-2012, 09:53 PM.
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Larry

Go buy a new sander so you have a current receipt and then just put the old sander in the box and return it as a defective one.
          Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

There is a number that matches the unit and the box and if the girl has been trained properly she would check that and see that it is not the right one.
            Be honest and call Porter Cable.
            Diane
            Dragon
            Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
            Owner of a Dewalt 788
            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Larry you need to read your adage ,again.Don't mean to beat a dead horse,but all warranties ,even automotive list parts normal wear items are not covered,good luck,hope you are sucessful,I feel sure they will fix it, but I'll bet they will charge you ,Can't hurt to try!
              M.V.B.
              Carl
              "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
              Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

When you get a new sander, one thing you might try is putting two sanding disks on. The one directly on the sander will protect the velcro on the sander from wear and heat and the effects of pealing disks off. The second disk should have enough adhesion to stay in place until you relace it due to wear.

Comment

Originally posted by Frenchy2 View Post
                  When you get a new sander, one thing you might try is putting two sanding disks on. The one directly on the sander will protect the velcro on the sander from wear and heat and the effects of pealing disks off. The second disk should have enough adhesion to stay in place until you relace it due to wear.
                  Now that is some smart thinking Frenchy2.
                  Sawdust King

If there is one thing I can make perfect every time it is sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by evilbadger View Post
                    Larry

Go buy a new sander so you have a current receipt and then just put the old sander in the box and return it as a defective one.
                    I sincerely hope that this suggestion was made in jest.
                    Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

If it was new and unused Lowes would have taken it back. Been there do that. After six months of use that is another story. I think they handled it properly.
                      Scott
                      Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                        by will8989
                        None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                        Today, 12:20 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                        The bags seem easier on the surface.
                        But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                        Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by will8989
                        Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                        Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                        Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                        by NC Scroller
                        I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                        Yesterday, 07:42 AM
                      Working...
                      X