Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marcel in Longueuil
    Hmmm,

They are talking of making winter tires mandatory here in the near future.

That is a good thing, four season tires aren't sufficient here. Too many accidents caused by people that have them and haven't adapted their driving to the weather.

Marcel
    That's kind of like saying that seat belts, air bags and traffic laws will prevent accidents.
    It seems that the more safety features are required on cars, the worse people drive.
    You can't fix (Or legislate) stupidity!
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

Originally posted by Woodbutcher68
      That's kind of like saying that seat belts, air bags and traffic laws will prevent accidents.
      It seems that the more safety features are required on cars, the worse people drive.
      You can't fix (Or legislate) stupidity!
      They won't prevent accidents, but they will cut costs on medical bills and prevent deaths.

What is stupid with that?

I agree that it doesn't prevent people from being stupid.

Maybe they should make passing a driving test mandatory every 2 years, might help people not get into bad driving habits. The problem is that as long as you send the money to renew your permit, it stays valid; you may not have driven a vehicle for 10 years and then are allowed to get behind the wheel as if nothing changed as long as you sent the cash and get the picture taken (here anyways).

Well, the traffic has changed in the last 10 years, vehicles have changed, and some traffic laws also have changed: i.e.: right turn on red is now allowed in Quebec (except the island of Montreal), while it wasn't 3-4 years ago.

And could you identify all road signs without error? I doubt it.

Education is the key, in the meantime anything that will reduce costs paid by the whole society (medical & auto insurance) is a welcome band-aid (and that is all it is)

And those safety devices are also a good thing when a "real" (not due to human error) accident occurs. Seat belt save lives, as do airbags in most cases (there are always exceptions, but they are a minority)

Regards,
      Marcel
      http://marleb.com
      DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

I had to go to montreal to emigrate to the USA. I paid the meter but still got a parking ticket. The ticket was completely written in french, but I am not french. In Ontaria, where I am from originally, tickets are in french and english because of all the stink made by the french...so why is it not the same in quebec? Something hypocritical about that. Nothing personal Marcel..I know that's not your fault, but that sure seems wrong to me. That was 7 years ago, and I never paid that ticket and never will. I don't know to this day even what the ticket was for. They did send me a warning a long time ago telling me that if I didn't pay, then my liscence would be suspended, but when I showed it to the michigan DOT, they said to keep ignoring it because nothing that happens in canada matters here unless it's a federal crime.
        Jeff Powell

Comment

Se déplaçant de nouveau à la matière principale, il est fait ensoleillé et chaud ici aujourd'hui.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

My sentiments exactly Gill!!!! I have no clue as to what you said ......but I trust your judgement!!!! LOL!!!
            If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Is this what you said Gill?

Moving itself again to the principal matter, it is been sunny and hot here today.
              Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

I actually tried to say, "Getting back to the original topic, it's been sunny and hot here today" but that's pretty close. God bless Babelfish !

Unfortunately, I don't speak much French. I find that just saying, 'Zizi, bon!' and moving your leg in a kicking motion will get you by in France in most circumstances. Of course, you also need a few basic words such as 'du vin', 'la biere' 'cognac' and 'les paracetamols'.

Gill
                There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Jeff,

I agree with you.
                  I always had above average salary and a good job because I was bilingual. I think the one language mentality here is self destructive for the population. Isolationalism is not a solution, but then this fight has been going on long enough without me. Sorry for your ticket though.

Gill,

Zizi is slang for pe**s LOL
                  so... a kicking leg saying that a *** is good, could get you in trouble in Quebec, probably in France too for all I know!

You must have meant "Cest si bon" which means "it's so good"
                  (Come to think of it: same difference) ROFLMA

and I have no clue what a "paracetamols" could be

And babelfish is not perfect:
                  "Se déplaçant de nouveau à la matière principale, il est fait ensoleillé et chaud ici aujourd'hui"
                  (moving anew to the principal matter, it is made sunny and warm here today)
                  Should be
                  "Retournant au sujet original, il a fait beau et chaud ici aujourd'hui"

No offense meant, I really appreciate you trying to speak my language. It's just in good fun.

Sorry I have to go wipe the laugh tears away,
                  Marcel
                  Last edited by Marcel in Longueuil; 10-13-2006, 04:37 PM.
                  http://marleb.com
                  DW788. -Have fun in the shop or it isn't a hobby anymore.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Oh

I thought 'Zizi' was the nickname of the famous French footballer, Zinedine Zidane. Having checked Wikipedia, I find it's actually 'Zizou'.

There's no wonder why I get on so well with Frenchmen - my understanding of their language extends as far as alcohol and... well... I thought it was soccer.

Gill

Comment

Thank goodness I didn't nod as if heading a football (or butting an opponent)!

Comment

Gill

Kieme, die zu Fußballspielen geht, kann Sie in viel stören erhalten.
                        Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Ahh to master another language....wait a minute I still need to master English.

My french is limited enough that I impress non french speaking people and Make the Fancophones laugh out loud.

I have made a fool of myself a few times before but heck I can do that in English.
                          You know there are many differences even in English.
                          My mom who is very proper was at a party and it was getting late. She said "I must go home or I will have to get someone to knock me up in the morning!"

Now the rest of North America may find that humorous but what dear old mum meant was "If I stay any later I will be so tired that I will have to get someone to ring the doorbell at the appropriate hour to get me out of bed"

Cest si bon I am so glad that Marcel typed that so I could cut and paste.

I wonder what the band ZZ Top means in French
                          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Speaking of snow, I saw Buffalo, NY had over 2 feet and still falling at the rate of 4 or 5 inch per hour. WOW, I hven't had snow at my house for over 3 years. If I want to se snow (and I don't) I go 6o miles east to the Casades and get all I don't want!!!
                            Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                            Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                            Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                              Reply to Phone call from son.
                              by meflick
                              Glad to hear your son is fine Betty but what a scary thing.
                              Today, 01:10 PM
                            • meflick
                              Reply to Hello from Central Florida
                              by meflick
                              Welcome to the forum from another Tennessean....
                              Today, 01:04 PM
                            • John Smith
                              by John Smith
                              Thanks guys, I have a lot of HDU left over from my sign business in various thicknesses.
                              HDU doesn't "fuse" or repair itself under heat or friction. Only acrylics and some PVC materials do that. Depending on what part of the world you are in, you would have to google HDU Distributors...
                              Today, 10:01 AM
                            • Jim McDonald
                              Reply to Phone call from son.
                              by Jim McDonald
                              My kids always call me since I am the one who probably did the stuff they are calling about.

I know it's scary to get that call, but I'm glad to hear the charge exited where it did before it went any further.

Probably hurts like hell and he has a copper taste in his mouth...
                              Today, 09:52 AM
                            • Sandy Oaks
                              by Sandy Oaks
                              Welcome to the forum from TN. As a Pegas Distributor, Pegas has the Super Skip blades which works perfectly with acrylics at a reduced speed.
                              Today, 09:40 AM
                            Working...
                            X