Dust Collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection

I need to redo my dust collection system. Can anyone recommend a book or website with designs? I have a 2hp dust collector, but don't quite know how to set up the system to all machines. I've searched the site, but didn't find anything on it. I would like to know something about it before I invest the money on hoses and pipes.

I'm redoing my complete shop, cleaning, adding insulation and a dust collection system.

Thanks for any help.

Charles
    Charles

Space and location

Charles,Every shop is different.your equip. is unique to you! I personally would not go overhead,Tried that what an expensive back breaking diaster that was .Lay out your equip ,the way you plan to use it ,try to keep your runs straight as few bends as poss .should use sweeping Ells ,and sweeping tees,and as few as possible.To go conventional you really need open wallspace to mount ,make sure you have adequit power at that location not ext.cords ,once you ck. to make sure you have room to work and reach shut-off gates and power etc.you can start measuring and choosing proper fittings ,pipe ,gates.then you are ready to measure pick up hose length .
    You ,will soon see how much space is eaten up ,and decide how you want to proceed. Personally,My powermatic table saw is built into a 8'x8' milar topped table.the only stationary tool in the shop.My CDC w/cycloned 60 gal plastic drum next to it connected to 8' stationary xmas horizonal tree w/ 3 separated gates and 2 removable plugs ,my jointer,planer,sanding machine,table mounted belt,oscelating sander , 8"disc sanders a twin mop sanders all roll up and connect to it when I need them ,and rolled out when not needed. All my wall space is spoken for ,benches ,cabinets shelf units.2Double doors 1roll-up
    I would loose far more than I'd gain,Like I first said ,we are all unique in what and how are shops are used,and how often.I hope this helped a little.
    MVB !
    Carl
    "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
    Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Grizzly.com has an online thing where you can layout your shop and then place a dust system in it I do believe. You can also contact them and they will help you design a system to fit your needs.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Carl what happened with the over head setup? But as he states it is a personal thing and very shop dependant. I just bought the Jet Vortex and used PVC sewer pipe (thin wall) I have it hangining from the rafters. I only have a 7' 6" ceiling I used "y's" at all of the junctions for better flow and only three elbows in the system. I bought the gates from Rockler and pvc to dust collector adaptors. I also bought several clear 4" hoses and clamps. Non of my joints are glued as my shop is till not in it's final layout(probably never will be. I also bought the remote from Penn state industries. so far I am real happy
        Something worth reading about grounding. PVC

I would be interested to what everyones thoughts are regarding this.
        Rolf
        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Here's a site that has a lot of good info.

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking...ne/ducting.cfm

In my shop which is 12x16 I chose not to run fixed ductwork; instead I put quick disconnects on the machines and on the end of end of the hose. With the dust collector located in the middle of a 16 ft wall I can easily move the connection to whatever dust producer I'm using. Not pretty but its been working for over 10 years.
          Last edited by Frenchy2; 02-15-2012, 04:35 PM. Reason: Inserted link

Comment

frenchies Site covers every thing you could want to know and more you didn't!

Charles, check out frencies sugestion Web Site, gold mine of INFO.
            Rolf,Overhead pipes have to pull st,vert.to go horz. to go vert.again .eats power on sm.unit any gap in a gate ,any loss ,premature shut down of system prior to full transfer .phone call ,what ever leaves dust accumulate in pipes dust sits and becomes cake ,cake equals resistance ,build up increases over time ,power loses , vac won't pull good ,many causes result,have to move every thing take piping down to clean,I think I ate more dust in 5 mins than I would have in six months without the system .The second time that happened
            I said ,there has to be a better way,Thats my sad story ,I'm sure It won't happen to you ,but time will tell. So I went to the K.I.S.S. principle ,made all of my equip easily moveable,set up the tree ,roll in what I need ,roll it out when I don't and have lots of usable room in my shop in between .Like I said different strokes for different folks, Info exchange ,only hope it helps some one,or I wasting a lot of time on a computor that hates me,This is the second time I wrote this ,I hit the wrong button and it eat it!Replies are welcome,I like to hear solutions to problems,I learn something new everyday!
            M.V.B.
            Carl

Comment

Frenchy2, what type of hose you are using, also how long and why type of system are you using? I am using a roll around bag system that Sears sells (I think other places sell them also), and I like your idea much better.
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

Frenchy, thanks for the great link. How fine is the filter in that unit? how well do the quick disconnects hold? I have had the hose come off my Dewalt planer in mid cut, wow what an instant mess.
                Carl,
                M.V.B. ? what does that stand for?
                I think I have enough flow in my system that I won't get a buildup, but as you say time will tell.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Abreviation

MY VERY BEST !Your probably right ,I hope so !It.s a real job ,not as simple as people think ,or as cheap ! When thier right there is nothing like them ,if there not there is still nothing like them,so it's a win, win of sorts
                  M.V.B.
                  Carl

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
                    Frenchy2, what type of hose you are using, also how long and why type of system are you using? I am using a roll around bag system that Sears sells (I think other places sell them also), and I like your idea much better.
                    I'm using a 1.5 hp system from Delta. It's connected via 6 ft flex hose to a trash can separator and I replaced the filter bags with 1.5 micron bags. From the trash can I have another 6 ft hose with the quick disconn on its input end. The disconnect (I think I got it from Penn State) holds very well. It is a tapered fitting that mates with tapered attachments on the various machines. All it takes is a push with a slight twist to mate the parts, and reverse the motion to disconnect. I have never had the joint come apart on its own.

The DC I'm using could be hooked to "permanent" duct work and handle more than one machine at a time. I believe that the roll around systen you mention is probably 1 hp so it should be sufficient for one machine at a time. I highly recommend some kind of separator between the dust producing machine and the DC. That way you capture larger chips, chunks of wood, shavings before they strike the impellor in the DC. The separator is easier to empty than the bag. I find that I empty the trash can 3 or 4 times before I have to empty the DC's bag.
                    The only down side of having the trash can is the space it occupies.

With your roll around machine you may be able to combine it with a separator stacked one above the other.

Good luck,

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X