Ee bah gum, am starved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ee bah gum, am starved!

A phrase of local dialect that probably only our two Yorkshire UK members Mick and Mal will recognize! which in my neighbouring Derbyshire dialect means ' heck, I'm bloody cold!'

So there I was planning to go visit Venice Carnivale this weekend and I'm looking outside at the snow coming down thick and fast! A report from Venice this morning gave temperatures of minus 4C to start the day and an expected high of only 4C with tales of gondoliers having to fight their way through the ice on some of the smaller canals! A webcam view of the Rialto Bridge at midday today showed the place looking grey, miserable and almost deserted with just a loan gondolier trying to steer his way down the Grand Canal - probably tanked up on grappa!.

For the past 10 days Italy, along with most of Europe, has been under the grip of one of the worst winter blasts in decades. The area around Verona where I'm living has been remarkably free of snow but the temperatures have been down to minus 12C. Meanwhile, all around us, cities like Milan, Bologna, Florence and Rome have been hit hard with heavy snow and temperatures have been even lower with one village in the hills to the north of Rome recording a record low of minus 22C! Even places as far south as Sardinia and Sicily haven't escaped heavy deposits of the white stuff.

To say its been cold is an understatement!

Ok, I know that many of my scrolling pals from more northern climes are used to these winter temperatures but I can tell you that I'm not. This is the first time I've seen falling snow in over 25 years. Hey, I'm within spitting distance of the Mediterranean! For cripes sake! they don't show snow on the travel brochures!

I'm pretty certain that someone is trying to get the message across to me that its time to stop having so much fun over here and finish up my contract and get back home to Central Mexico. Another 10 weeks to go and I'll be fulfilling that wish but maybe, just maybe, I might wrap up really warm next weekend and still go check out that Carnivale in Venice. After all, if I stick a silly mask on, no one will notice it's me underneath shivering.

Stay warm folks!

Let me know if you are caught up in any of this winter wonderland nonsense.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Michigan has had the warmest winter in decades! We've had temps around 30F to40F lately. Fishermen have fallen through the ice up here. We have some snow but not much. Last night it did get cold and start snowing again. It's 2F right now - time to get the winter coat back out! But it has been a strange winter here this year too.
    T
    would love to see some carnivale pictures of Venice.....
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

So far it's been a remarkably mild winter for a change. I've only had to shovel snow 3 times so far, and not even heavy stuff. We're getting some snow today though...They're calling for 3 to 5 inches by noon. nothing... Just so long as it's not the heavy stuff. that'll break my back...

Jim,
      You should get out there with your camera. I'd love to see some photos of Italy all covered with snow...Sounds pretty...

As an old New England-er, I can tell you...Layers Jim. Dress in layers. It makes for better insulation...
      Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
      No task is too tedious for Art.
      Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
      Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim

Put on a jacket and quit complaining. LOL
        Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Originally posted by evilbadger View Post
          Jim

Put on a jacket and quit complaining. LOL
          ..Says the guy in Florida.....
          Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim

I lived in Chicago for a long time and know all about working in the winter. JimMex is just out sightseeing and having fun so he gets no sympathy.
            Tim

Comment

would love to see some carnivale pictures of Venice.....
              Theresa - you've convinced me that come hell or high water I'll make the trip.
              Wow - that was a really hard decision to take - LOL!

To Tim
              - I have a comment pal, but I'm afraid it would be moderated!
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

The First Thing Taught !

Jim, The First thing a eskimo Teaches her babies "you don't Eat the YELLOW Snow ! " Is it a wet or dry cold ,Really makes a difference ? Humidity Like Humility ,makes all the difference in your comfort level in you suroundings.
                MY VERY BEST!
                Carl
                "Home Of The Dust Free Scroll Saw"
                Remember (IT is WHAT it IS)( Unless YOU change IT!)

Comment

Jim

You could pm your comment. LOL Get out there and go play in the snow.
                  Tim

Comment

Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

What Tim said!!!!!!! There's a reason those of us who have survived winters in Chicago and in the Northeast are living in Florida.

Jan

Comment

Ok Tim
                        Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Frieke
                          www.friewoodart.webs.com

Visit Frieke's gallery

Don't let the pain of your past and the fear of your future ruin the happiness of your present.

Comment

I guess it is winter time. Not much change in the seasons here in the Islands. Ocean is about 5 degrees cooler, when there is snow on the tall mountain tops, the wind is a bit cooler all over, but I am still wearing shorts and a tank top all the time? Might need a thin blanket over me at night. You can keep all the snow and ice
                            Hawaiilad
                            Larry

Comment

Well there's a couple of things that keep me where I am..
                              ...The first, and most important, is that there aren't any fire ants, poisonous spiders, killer bees, and near no poisonous snakes, the only ones being water moccasins, and they're few and far between.

..The other reason is Autocrat Coffee syrup. It's really only available in RI. It's just delicious. If you mix it just right, it makes a glass of milk taste like really good coffee ice cream...YUM...!!

..And of course there's family...
                              Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X