Backer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backer help

I cut Sue Mae's Valentine cross from 3/16 ply. I actually stack cut three of them. My idea was to glue red felt on the back. It kind of worked. Its pretty fragile and one has cracked. I am looking for any ideas to use as a backer. Thanks

Are you saying one of the crosses cracked? For very delicate pieces I my backers out of mat board or Baltic Birch plywood. Felt is too soft to protect. Make sure to apply glue to all areas.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have used picture Mat board. without any problems.

Comment

I always use a wood backer. 1/8, 1/4" ply, luan, hardboard or I plane something a thin as my planer goes. 3/32". I don't care for felt but wood apply it to the backer if I ever were to use it.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I am using Michael's foam board for backers, most of the time. They used to have a stiff felt board, that I used, but, they don't carry it any more. My pieces usually are 1/8 or 1/4 inch ply, so don't have a problem with breaking or cracking. Good Luck
          PERK

Comment

Originally posted by ubgoofy2003 View Post
            I am using Michael's foam board for backers, most of the time. They used to have a stiff felt board, that I used, but, they don't carry it any more. My pieces usually are 1/8 or 1/4 inch ply, so don't have a problem with breaking or cracking. Good Luck

Check out Jerry's if you live near Tempe, AZ
            Art Supply Store - Tempe Arizona - Jerrys Artarama
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I use a painted 1/8" veneered mdf. I use Tite Bond molding & trim glue on the back of the portrait and then lay it onto the mdf and add a little weight on top or clamp it with spring clamps and let dry overnight. It dries clear and has a fast tack and set time. You probably would not need to let it dry over night but that is just me. I then just trim the edges at an angle with the scroll saw. It really makes a delicate cutting more solid and stable. Steve

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MidMich324
                Reply to hegner 2"
                by MidMich324
                Just Wondering...

Is the table size on the 22" hegner saw as on the 18" hegner saw?

With the 22" inch one you get 4 more inches of depth of cut but do you also get a few more inches of table?
                Yesterday, 09:30 PM
              • will8989
                Reply to Spring Issue
                by will8989
                I had to fool around with copying and taping a pattern again today. This wasn’t as bad as the fish, but still a pain. I use rapid resizer. Scan a pattern, put in size I want and it prints it out. If more than one page, it numbers each page at the top and I tape them together. Had the fish pattern...
                Yesterday, 09:28 PM
              • millwab
                Reply to Peanuts #1
                by millwab
                Rolf, I cover it with clear contact paper (comes off clean without leaving a residue) and draw a grid for the direction I want to cut (ie horizontal or diagonal) to keep the rows even. The rest is all freehand....
                Yesterday, 02:51 PM
              • Don in Brooklin On
                Reply to Spring Issue
                by Don in Brooklin On
                Rolf

I use acrobat reader. The poster feature will enlarge and if it goes to multiple pages it will put in cut marks. Even if the page is over letter size it will spread to multiple pages at 100%.

If it is in PDF form you can open with Inkscape or GIMP and select what you...
                Yesterday, 01:48 PM
              • theframer
                Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
                by theframer
                Hi Linda, great find...I think.

Please keep us up to date with any information you receive. I would really like to get into this, but my computer skills are almost nonexistent, I need something that a 74 year old air head 🙄 can figure out. Thanks for sharing.

Rick
                Yesterday, 12:05 PM
              Working...
              X