Backer help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backer help

I cut Sue Mae's Valentine cross from 3/16 ply. I actually stack cut three of them. My idea was to glue red felt on the back. It kind of worked. Its pretty fragile and one has cracked. I am looking for any ideas to use as a backer. Thanks

Are you saying one of the crosses cracked? For very delicate pieces I my backers out of mat board or Baltic Birch plywood. Felt is too soft to protect. Make sure to apply glue to all areas.
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I have used picture Mat board. without any problems.

Comment

I always use a wood backer. 1/8, 1/4" ply, luan, hardboard or I plane something a thin as my planer goes. 3/32". I don't care for felt but wood apply it to the backer if I ever were to use it.
        May the wind at you back .....
        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I am using Michael's foam board for backers, most of the time. They used to have a stiff felt board, that I used, but, they don't carry it any more. My pieces usually are 1/8 or 1/4 inch ply, so don't have a problem with breaking or cracking. Good Luck
          PERK

Comment

Originally posted by ubgoofy2003 View Post
            I am using Michael's foam board for backers, most of the time. They used to have a stiff felt board, that I used, but, they don't carry it any more. My pieces usually are 1/8 or 1/4 inch ply, so don't have a problem with breaking or cracking. Good Luck

Check out Jerry's if you live near Tempe, AZ
            Art Supply Store - Tempe Arizona - Jerrys Artarama
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

I use a painted 1/8" veneered mdf. I use Tite Bond molding & trim glue on the back of the portrait and then lay it onto the mdf and add a little weight on top or clamp it with spring clamps and let dry overnight. It dries clear and has a fast tack and set time. You probably would not need to let it dry over night but that is just me. I then just trim the edges at an angle with the scroll saw. It really makes a delicate cutting more solid and stable. Steve

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X