Spinning some Spindles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinning some Spindles

Right now the scroll saw is idle while I do a project for my son who has an old house that needs some spindles for the staircase.

I'm turning these out of alder. They are 31.5" long and 1.5" square. I ripped the blanks from 8/4 boards. The finished one is an original that I'm using as a pattern.

I have it down to where it takes about an hour to shape a spindle on the lathe. I see from the pics that I need to take a few back to the lathe to make them more uniform. Not too fast, but I'm getting better. The more difficult thing is to carve the spiral pattern into the one section. I'm using hand carving tools, some dremel sanding, and lots of hand sanding. Close examination of the originals show that the spirals were carved as they lack uniformity. I need to make a total of 40 of these, as someone remodeled years ago and took out part of the second floor landing.

If anyone can suggest how to speed up the carving, I'd love to know. I have considered building a contraption to tie a router to the lathe, but it would need to change depth as it carves the spiral. Any and all suggestions are most welcome.
    Attached Files
    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Jim

Check this out ShopNotes Magazine - Router Milling Machine Video - Video Online Extra
    Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Tim -- That is really cool. Looks like it might be worth making one of those jigs.
      Mtnman Jim

Comment

Does shopnotes sell plans for this system. Looks like something i would like to build

kendall

Comment

Jim check out this videos for more ideas........your doing good I'm sure your son appreciates your help.

St Pierre Woodworking-Making a spiral Wooden Leg - YouTube
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WD -- That is quite interesting. Just need to find the right sized carbide grinder attachment for wood. That is similar to what I've been doing.
            Mtnman Jim

Comment

Kendall

I don't think Shopnotes sells just the plans. The instructions for building one were in issue #115 which I think was January 2011. They do have the gear patterns available for downloading but you still need the rest of the plan.
              Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X