Complicated surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complicated surgery

Feb.1, I am having a complicated surgery done called a "whipple". I have a cyst at the head of my pancreas, after a biopsy the Dr. says it will turn cancerous if he doesn't remove it. He will remove about 1/3 of my pancreas, my spleen, a chunk of my bowel and maybe part of my stomach. 6 hour surgery, 1 to 2 days in the ICU and 11 to 13 days in the hospital. I have spent more time in waiting rooms the last few weeks than at home. 2 CT scans, a MRI and they went down my throat with a scope and camera. My daughter is a nurse in Anchorage, AK and is coming home for 5 weeks. I will have good care when I return from the hospital. Not really looking forward to this. Hopefully all will go well.
    Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

My best wishes for you Mick that this is not too arduous and you heal rapidly. Do keep us posted, we care.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Mick we will say a prayer for you. I hope all goes well and be a good patient and listen to your daughter. As Mike said keep us posted.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Mick, I had about 1/2 of that operation about 13 years ago and a friend of ours went though it a few months ago and everything came out just fine. I know the recovery time is not looked forward to, but I'll bet you feel much better once it all gone...You will be in our prayers
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Mick, let me add my hopes that all goes well with your latest hurdle. It sounds like you will be in good hands, before and after the procedure, and if this prevents a worse development from occurring, it will be worth the pain and discomfort.

Please keep us up to date when you are able. You're fortunate to have family to stand by you and help see you through this. We all look forward to your recovery.
          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Mick,

This is my first post since the beginning of Dec. I had major surgery, 7 1/2 hours and I am very slowly regaining my strength. I went in for surgery on 2 hernias but they found that part of my upper bowel was being strangulated and that led to many problems. With help from my INCREDIBLE wife, I am slowly regaining my strength, she walks with me for about a mile a day and then takes me home and makes sure I rest. The doctor says that within a month I may be able to try some small pieces on the saw.

I know you will come out of this a healthier man, and I hope you have a lot more patience then I had.

God Bless you. BE WELL
            Rick
            Just because the circus left town, doesn't mean the Monkey's off your back

Comment

Best wishes and prayers sent for your upcoming surgery, recovery and back at the saw asap.
              Thanks for sharing, you know your scrolling family is right here for ya Mick.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

G'Day Mick

All good thoughts your way from the other side of the pond. I'm sure all will go well.

Cheers
                Bernie

Comment

Mick, hugs and prayers from me to you. I know you'll do well through this and will be making sawdust for a long time to come. It's good to know that your daughter will be with you to help with your recovery. Please have your family keep in contact with the forum so we know how things are going.

Jan

Comment

Darn, Dick, if you wanted to spend time with your daughter, couldn't you have figured out another way? Seriously, I will pray everything goes ok for you. At least when the doctors speak medical language, you will have someone who understands what they are saying. And you know you will be getting the best care possible.
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Best wishes and prayers sent to you concerning your upcoming surgery. Hopes for a good and not to slow recovery and back at the saw.
                      John

Comment

The best to you Mick, I'll keep you in my thoughts
                        May the wind at you back .....
                        Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

Mick we all will be praying for a full recovery. Please do your best to keep us posted but only if the Dr approves.
                          Scott
                          Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Evelyn and I will keep you in your prayers. Keep us up to date as you are able. If they wake you up every hour when your in ICU and ask you what your name is or if you know were your are have some fun. What you dont know were you are. or my name is right on my chart.
                            sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                            To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                            Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Prayers going your way, Mick. You do the healing ~ we'll do the other part.

John
                              I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                              About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                              "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                                Shrink wrap systems
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                What do you use to shrink wrap, and what do you use it on? Lately in the puzzles section I've seen a couple of you mention shrink wrapping. I've considered such a leap. Even though the basics are all similar from manufacturer to manufacturer, it's still leaves some questions. Maybe others have...
                                Today, 11:51 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Sundays market
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Brrrr. Glad you got to sell a little. I miss the people interaction. A lot. I hope you found some pretty pieces of wood at the store!
                                Today, 11:39 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                New tools can definitely open up the scope of what we can do, or how well I'm on the band wagon. Congrats!
                                Today, 11:36 AM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                At work (like 15 years ago) we got in some aluminum sheet on pallets 4'x12'. Those pallets were like brand new, without even any discoloring from the metals. I asked our sales rep, and he said I could keep one pallet. I removed all the 4' boards, which measured about 1/2" thick, 4" wide...
                                Today, 11:32 AM
                              • NC Scroller
                                Reply to Interesting pallet
                                by NC Scroller
                                I agree that needs to be saved for a special project. The wood is likely oak based on the grain pattern and the discoloration around the nail.
                                Today, 11:30 AM
                              Working...
                              X