Bad Economy Strikes Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Economy Strikes Home

Hi Folks, I have not posted anything for awhile. We found out just before Christmas that my wife's company is shutting down her plant. American Woodmark, Hardy County Plant in Hardy Co. WV. She got papers yesterday that it will be less than 60 days. So anytime they can tell her she's gone. Over 400 people will be unemployed when they complete the shut down. We heard that they are shutting another plant in Hazard, KY. I think that there is over 200 jobs there. Thanks for letting me vent. Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Hey Steve sorry to here that hopefully something will come up and you'll be okay.Jerry
    Don't worry be scrolling

Comment

Hi Steve sorry hear bout closing but could be worse you could live in Michigan were its been like that for over 5 years plant closings, company's moving out state or out country, down sizing of company's etc. We been in same boat for over 3 years my wife hasnt had a job in 3 yrs and she is a Nurse of 28 yrs, she went back school got her certified pharmacy tech license and just landed a job a week ago. good luck
      Last edited by flyfisherman_53; 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM.
      Someone say tool or lumber sale I am out of here

Comment

Sometime soon this all has to start changing around for the good. Way to many people out of work. Of course those on top of the heap are doing pretty good. May God be with all of those having job problems.
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

So sorry to here about the job loss. Hopefully something will come up and things will work out for good. John

Comment

Really hate to see this post Steve!! Sending positive thoughts your way!
            Cathy in NE

"While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about." - Anonymous

Comment

Sorry Steve. Many of us know the feeling. I "retired" 2.5 years early due to the economy.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Sorry to hear Steve. I was an early casualty myself when all of this started several years ago so I know what your going through. I eventually landed a job after some time but no where near where I was. Good luck and hang tough!
                Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
                Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
                Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
                Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

I'm so sorry Steve. Take good care of yourselves. It's a scary time.
                  DeWalt 788

Comment

Hey Steve, I know what you and your wife are going through. I lost my job last April and nobody wants to hire a 58 year old. Hopefully it wont be as tough for her to find a job as it has been for me.
                    Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. Tell her to take a deep breath, file unemployment and put on her thinking cap. What is she good at? Can she make her own job? It sounds crazy, but it might work. Our unemployment in this state is extremely helpful in helping retrain for other jobs and I'm sure other states are also. The Small Business Admin is also extremely helpful in this matter. More and more people are finding "other" jobs. I personally know a Pampered Chef Director who received a check for over $9,000 for her sales in November. Other months she averages $3,000. My best friend, a Celebrating Home vendor brings in approximately $3,000-$4,000 a month. Avon is also another possibility. I gave away a 79cent trial size lipstick this campaign and my orders are pushing $600 for 2 weeks. 40% of that ain't too bad. Another friend makes $100 a day cleaning. Please don't think I'm making "little" of her losing her job. Believe me, I'm not. But there are other options out there. Just do what you like and you'll succeed. What's the saying? "If you like what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." Hopefully, you have the medical benefits so she can pursue other options. If she ever wants to talk to me, drop me a PM and I'll send you my phone number. SHE CAN DO IT!! I'll push her all the way to the top of the ladder!!!
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Sorry to hear this Steve. Been there, done that! My wife and I both worked at the same company, me for 23 years and she for 8 years. I lost my job in 2007 and she lost hers in 2008. She was out of work for over a year, but I found a job in less than 2 months but paying less than I was making! It's been a long hard time, but you will make it. It will just take some time.

Charles
                        Charles

Comment

So sorry to hear your news Steve. I too am unemployed and have been unable to find a job. I have a college degree and am still finding it difficult to find new employment. I am not sure what the world is coming to when good honest, educated people can't find jobs. Good luck in this endevor. I'm thiniking of you both.
                          Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

So sorry to hear this Steve. You will find a way to make it through and be happy together.
                            Diane
                            Dragon
                            Owner of a nice 21" Excalibur
                            Owner of a Dewalt 788
                            PuffityDragon on AFSP

Comment

Losing a job in never a good situation. Sure seems crazy when some parts of the country are shuting down plants and othere parts of the country cant find good people to fill the jobs.

The town of aberdeen, s.d. Claims it has 1000 job openings that they cant find qualified people to fill.

Hang in there things have to get better.

Kendall

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X