Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding Finger Nail

Hey everyone,

Last night I apparently thought I didn't need my middle finger nail on my left hand last night. I was making icing for my cupcake box and wasn't paying attention for just a second. The icing slipped and I hit the disk sander with my finger nail. It didn't hurt at the time so I wrapped it up and put on a latex glove and tried to finish the icing. I now have white icing tinted in red. Blood doesn't want to come out of white wood!

It really doesn't hurt now, except I work on a computer all day and typing can be a hassle. The hardest part is I will have to wait for awhile before sanding anymore icing.

Charles
    Charles

Ouch! Sorry, Charles, that's really a bummer. Been there, done that, but the nail does grow back eventually. I usually end up with little scabs all over my fingers from sanding "bites" if I'm not careful.

However, I've learned to stay very focused when I use them. I even tried rubber finger protectors, but couldn't find any that stayed on. I give people who do intarsia a lot of credit. Never thought of sanding as a blood sport.

And I won't make any funny remarks about using bloodwood . . .
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks Carole! As I said the hardest part is having to stay away from finishing my cupcake box. As a side note, I was dreading the side cutting of the cupcake with the spiral blade, but it was easier that I thought!

Charles
      Charles

Comment

As an intarsia person, I have a question to ask: What's a fingernail?

Jan

Comment

It's usually something that grows on the end of the finger. LOL Mine is gone from cubicle to the tip on about half of the finger!

As a side note, I envy everyone on here who does intarsia. That's something that I just can't get the grasp. I've tried and tried, but just can't do it. I bought the beginners book and I still don't understand.

Charles
          Charles

Comment

Ouch Charles, I think we have all been there... Jan I also respect the time you and other put into the sanding of your lovely intarsia....after all the sanding I do on the band saw boxes I see what you go through. I have only made a couple pieces but at first didn't like all the needed close in sanding, but rather enjoyed it when making the boxes...just like to see the end results of the out come...so I think once I get back in the shop I will try my hand at a few more pieces. I do think a good flex power sander will be of great help as well.
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

It could be worse we could be calling you stumpy.
              Charles if you really are interested in doing Intarsia, I would suggest a class with Judy Gale Roberts.
              Rolf
              RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
              Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
              Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
              And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

You have my sympathies, for sure! I, too, work on a computer all day - even when one finger has to stick out straight because of the giant bandage that they put on after you've had stitches because a piece of wood shot into the finger from the router.

I'm so glad Handibunny restrained herself regarding "bloodwood."

Charles, I'm SO with you on the intarsia - even if I had the patience for all that sanding, I have NO eye for how to shape something, how much to sand down, etc. It sure is gorgeous stuff, though!!!!!

Comment

I was going to post a picture of the finger, but didn't want to gross anyone out.

Rolf, I have thought about the class. She's only 3 1/2 hours from me in Seymour, TN. I've checked her schedule often, but with my job and the hours its hard to do. I'm hoping either this year or next.

PatteM, I type with all fingers and this is teaching me to type softer.

Still hope to get back into the shop either tomorrow or Sunday. Going to just buy a finger splint and use it for the sanding.

Charles
                  Charles

Comment

Charles, get one of the metal finger splints that cups over the end of the finger and is taped in place. Just be sure to pad the finger well before putting it on.

Jan

Comment

Thanks Jan. I was looking at that the other day, but thought it would be too bulky. Was looking for one that is made of plastic and fits over the finger, but will try the other.

Thanks again,

Charles
                      Charles

Comment

My wife bought the metal finger splint today. Used it and it was very comfortable. I sanded more on my first icing and got the blood out of the side and most on the bottom. The 1/8" cap will cover the rest. I also cut another icing, but didn't have time to sand it. Will do that tomorrow. To let everyone know NPDH, (No picts DID happen)!

Charles
                        Charles

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Jimern
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by Jimern
                          The crafters market here in Kerrville, TX is $25 per 10x10 spot per event. We sell 8 months out of the year, Jun/Jul is too hot, and Jan/Feb is too cold. No insurance requirement but we do have to show a sales tax permit and collect sales tax.

Personally I would never sell in a venue that...
                          Today, 06:29 AM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                          by will8989
                          The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                          Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Farmers market
                          by will8989
                          Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                          Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                        • tgiro01
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by tgiro01
                          Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                          Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                          Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                        Working...
                        X