A shocking day in northern Italy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shocking day in northern Italy

This morning I was awoken at just before 1 am to the sensation of being rocked in my sleep. Nope, definitely not Norma by my side pushing for more bed space. She's back in Mexico enjoying a full bedspace to herself! A few seconds later a smooth tremble shook me again. Another 10 mins with no more disturbances and I was back in the land of nod and dead to the world until the alarm clock sounded at 6:00 am

Curious at what woke me, before leaving home for work I logged on to one of these 'recent earthquakes' web sites and sure enough, we were hit by a small magnitude tremor with its epicenter a few miles north of me. Only 4.1 strength but at around a shallow 4 miles deep, shallow enough to be felt. When I arrived to the factory at around 8:00 am everyone was talking about being rudely awakened.

An hour later, with all the fuss practically died down, we suddenly felt another jolt strong enough to rattle the cups and saucers, and the ladies, in our decorating department. Ten mins later we heard that this new tremor was around 5.2 magnitude, again shallow, but located this time around 80 miles to the south of us close to the city of Parma.

Although both tremors were fairly weak and didn't cause any damage several of the local town councils decided not to take risks and evacuated the schools and quite a few public offices plus a large shopping mall nearby. The main line Venice - Milan electric train service running close to our factory was also suspended several hours whilst any possible movement to rail lines was assessed.

A quick extrapolation by yours truly showed our factory location to be pretty much on a line linking the two epicentres so armed with this information and just for fun I stuck my head in our purchasing office to wind up the lady who deals with my travel arrangements by asking if she could change my flight dates back to Mexico to this weekend instead of at the end of April so I could get out before the country falls apart at the seams! Needless to say, my request was refused but we did have a good laugh.

Walking away and back to work I couldn't help but wonder if those pesky ancient Mayans were organizing a trial run before the end of the year comes around...... Food for thought?
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Sorry Jim,
    That was me. I have a new girlfriend....lol.
    She really rocked my world...hehehe

I guess that's just the muses giving you something else to spin your tales...
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Good try on the return flight. Just hang on tight and don't fall off the earth.

Jan

Comment

Read about those but I thought it was just Italy trying to shake itself out of its financial troubles. Glad you're ok.

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Well glad you are fine, would scare the [email protected]$ out of me.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

You guys are so bad Jim, when living in California for lots of years, I also "felt" those darn earthquakes...lost part of a house when one of those hit...bounced out of bed a couple times as well. Hang in there and ride it out Jim.
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

Yippee it's 5:00 pm Friday!

Another tremor this afternoon of 5.3 and again close to Parma.
              Three in three days and each one stronger than the previous.
              I think I may need to have a couple of shots of my favourite malt this weekend to steady the nerves - at least this will be my excuse!
              Cheers!
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                Walking away and back to work I couldn't help but wonder if those pesky ancient Mayans were organizing a trial run before the end of the year comes around...... Food for thought?
                No, I don't believe it.........I think they just didn't know how to keep their calendar going after 2012. We'll still be here....but if we're not it won't be because the Mayan calendar has run out.

Comment

A small and quiet birthday party for my mother on Friday, but I don't think that caused the tremor! - Now I'm back to my own house, and that will be my excuse
                  Ivar ("treslakter" - read as "woodbutcher")

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Comment

Congratulations Jim. You've joined the Shaky City club! Since our four big ones since last September [in Christchurch, NZ] we are rapidly closing in on our 10-thousanth aftershock and over 3-thousand of 3.0 and above. Don't panic, you get used to them. If you wake up and don't hear anything hitting the floor don't worry, roll over and go back to sleep. Demolition started yesterday on 5,000 trashed residences and we are on the last 300 - 400 buildings in the CBD to come down. We have our own earthquake scale. Under 3.5 don't matter; 4.0 - 4.5 you get your coffee automatically stirred; 4.5 - 5.0 gets your attention; 5.0 - 6.0 getting serious; 6.0-7.0 and above sh*t its an earthquake. Cheers, Magic

Comment

Congratulations Jim. You've joined the Shaky City club!
                      Great start to the day reading your post mate!

Just goes to show that everything is relative, but more importantly that you Kiwis have got a great sense of humour in the face of adversity. I love your adapted Richter Scale!

Most us only hear about earthquakes when they cause widespread destruction and loss of life but when I was checking up on one these 'live earthquake update' sites after our first one hit I came across a map showing just how many tremors and minor quakes had occurred around the world in the past week and its pretty amazing the quantity, especially the number of ones over category 4.5. Just makes you realize once again that we have no control of Mother Nature and we are just parasites scratching the crust of a pretty temperamental planet we call Earth.

Hope you keep rolling over and going back to sleep Brian. Pleasant dreams!
                      Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

if you lived in CA you should use to those little quakes
                        Erin
                        Dewalt 788

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• tgiro01
                          Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                          by tgiro01
                          One issue I found with the insert that comes with the saw was the areas they smoothed for the kickback pawls. If the insert is leveled correctly, those areas are sitting about 1/32-inch below the table. I had a problem with some small pieces getting caught and jamming because of that. Sawstop's recommendation...
                          Today, 08:18 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Interesting pallet
                          by Rolf
                          That is a definit rescue for a special project. I rarely get or use any pallet wood. But did use some from the pallet that my drill press was on. It looked like pine but was was very hard, carefully checked for nails and ran it through the drum sander with some 80 grit to get rid of any small grit.
                          Today, 08:16 AM
                        • Quartz43
                          Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                          by Quartz43
                          I wish I could post the video as it looks better with the lights blinking. I used some red clear plastic behind the eyes and nose. It was a fun project.
                          Yesterday, 07:29 PM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          Reply to Interesting pallet
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          Maybe a star shining to tell us something? That piece of wood is a very special piece! Good eye.
                          Yesterday, 07:27 PM
                        • Misouri Wayne
                          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                          by Misouri Wayne
                          Tough situation. Just have to take it one day at a time.
                          Yesterday, 04:55 PM
                        Working...
                        X