Quick Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Poll

Do you prefer a 24 hour clock or AM/PM ?
    24 Hour Clock
    27.59%
    12 Hour AM/PM
    68.97%
    Time is relative
    3.45%

The poll is expired.

Jim
    When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
    Too early to leave, too late to call in.

There's a time and a place for everything....
    I'm used to thinking in 12 hour increments...So,.....
    Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
    No task is too tedious for Art.
    Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

I'm a 12 hr. kinda guy. Dealt w/ that 24 hr stuff was in the military and they can keep it.
      J
      I've Got A Lot More To Learn
      About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
      "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

well when i moved from the U.S. to Romania in 2006 they use 24 hr clock there and also here in Mexico most use the 24 hr so i have gotten use to the 24 hr again after being away from it since 1971 when i got out of the Marine corps so i guess what i am trying to say is i just go with the flow hehe
        Erssel

Comment

I have never used anything but a twelve hour clock.
          Dan in So.Ca.

Comment

Heck Jim - just lately my work days seem to last 20 hrs when I actually need at least 28 so I voted for 'time is relative' - LOL!

Working around the world I have adapted to the 24 hr system but still think in 12 hr sections which can occasionally get you in to trouble such as in this example.

Many years back I was working in Ethiopia where the locals were using a 12 hr clock of sorts. I say of sorts because in my first week on the factory I programmed a meeting with the factory senior management for 9 o' clock (in the morning). I arrived at the meeting room exactly on time to find it empty. After waiting for 15 mins with no one arriving I walked out a little angry at the lack of punctuality of the management team. After spotting the general manager arriving to site around 9:30 I asked him what had happened to the meeting. His reply rather shook me...

'The meeting is scheduled for 9 in the afternoon, isn't it?'

That's when I found out that Ethiopian 12 hour day starts at the UK equivalent of 6 o' clock in the morning and I'd unknowingly actually programmed the meeting for 3 PM in the afternoon!!!

To add to this confusion many Ethiopians still use the Julian calendar instead of the Gregorian calendar so for example in Ethiopia today, July 12, 2012 it's considered to be May 3, 2004 !!! You can imagine the fun we had with inventory control on the factory when some folks use one calendar to date stock whilst others used the other.

There was however a positive side to all of this. If you are feeling old and a little jaded, go work in Ethiopia. It takes years off of you

Hope this explains pal why I voted for time as being relative
            Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
            - Albert Einstein

Comment

I worked with a computer, so I got use to a system clock that is 24 hrs. But since a 12 hr work day is way too long, I perfer the 12 hr clock. How about an 8 hr work clock? On second thought how about a 4 hr work clock
              www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

11 years of military I would go for the 24 hr clock. It leaves no room for confusion.
                Why do you ask? Curious.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

24 hr clock for me. I worked in the hospital environment where the 24 hr. clock is used to prevent the previously mentioned confusion. It makes more sense to me somehow.

Jan

Comment

I voted for the 12 hr clock, now if I could only remember what DAY it is when I wake up....
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I voted for the 12 hr clock, but for me 24 hr. clock would be nice.

Bob
                      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                        11 years of military I would go for the 24 hr clock. It leaves no room for confusion.
                        Why do you ask? Curious.
                        Jim
                        When looking at the clock at work--the correct time is:
                        Too early to leave, too late to call in.

Comment

I use both, 24hour clock at work and 12 hour at home when dealing with the kids etc. If given the choice I'd stick with 24.
                          Don

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
                          Benjamin Franklin

At twenty years of age the will reigns; at thirty, the wit; and at forty, the judgment.
                          Benjamin Franklin

A great empire, like a great cake, is most easily diminished at the edges.
                          Benjamin Franklin

www.dogwoodstudiosnh.com

Comment

Even tho I was in the service and I grew up on base after base I voted on 12hr. Because people still think 0900 is 9 o'lcock is at night.

-Bill
                            -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

Comment

12hr or 24hr is fine with me. After 20 years in the military theres really no difference to me. You did forget about Zulu time Jim.
                              sigpic: Dan US Navy PR1 (Ret)
                              To all who serve or have served, Thank you
                              Well I am the worlds greatest scroller at my house.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Bruce, the one on probation
                                by will8989
                                is doing great in therapy. His range of motion is about 3 weeks ahead of where they expected him to be. He has zero strength in his hand or arm. He tried to grate some cheese, and he couldn’t hold the grater. The doctor had to do repair stitching on the muscle and that will take the longest to heal....
                                Today, 12:59 AM
                              • will8989
                                Sundays market
                                by will8989
                                When we started out, it was 45 deg and rain. When we got there it was 44 deg and rain. By the time we left it stopped raining but was 42 deg. and windy. Luckily we are under cover but that doesn’t stop the wind. I sold 4 baskets, Sealife puzzle and a few other things. I moved the coffee grinders...
                                Today, 12:46 AM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                                by will8989
                                I thought I read you use shrink wrapped bags for your puzzles. Where do you get them from?...
                                Today, 12:27 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by jim_mex
                                Hey Quartz - thats great scrolling and carving work which the LED lighting sets off a treat - or was that a trick?

Love it!
                                Yesterday, 08:47 PM
                              • KarlB
                                Reply to Carved Fretwork Pumpkin
                                by KarlB
                                Very well done!

Karl
                                Yesterday, 07:36 PM
                              Working...
                              X