Kitchen Cabinets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Cabinets

After being blown off by a couple contractors, I've finally found one that seems decent and wants the job. However, when I asked him about kitchen cabinets, he said he deals with someone who sells CHINESE CABINETS. He bragged about how good they were and that its all solid wood, dovetail joints, etc, etc. I have never heard of them and can't find much online about them. The little I did find had negative comments. But it seemed to be more in the way of opinions than actual knowledge and/or experience with them.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge on kitchen cabinets made in china? Personally I don't trust anything made over there.

You mean there's no one in your town that makes Cabinets , for there are penty cabinet shops here . I would be a little afraid of the negative comments , I would stand back and look at this some more and even do more studing on this . Now it's been a while since I build a house - but dealing with cabinet makers wasn't that big a deal several years ago ..............MB
    Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

I most certainly would not go Chinese on my cabinets.
      We have had a couple of projects done by Charlie Testa at Welcome to Island Kitchens
      He uses Wood mode cabinets made in PA. They are a bit pricey but the work and the quality of the cabinets would certainly meet your high standards.
      Are you doing your own work?
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Hey, sawdust, if you don't like the idea of Chinese cabinets, why even ask. Ha. I don't want anything from China, but, sometimes it can't be helped. It's getting more difficult any more to find something made in the U.S.A. Good Luck
        PERK

Comment

Personally "Chinese" cabinets would be a big red flag for me.

If you are truly intersted, ask him for references from past customers. Perhaps arrange to visit an installation and see them for yourself. If they are truly as good as he says and as cheap, then all you have to decide is if you want to take a chance that the finish is toxic.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

check out this place. they will make you doors, faceframes, and cut all the components including drawers so you can assemble and finish them yourselves.

not sure on prices but i know several of the "custom cabinet makers" in my area use them
            Cabinet Components & Distribution, Inc. - Precision, Productivity, Profits

if you have the space to assembly and finish you could save yourself some cash

kendall

Comment

By chinese cabinets I think they are refering to Style not manufacturer. An example of a chinese cabinet can be seen here. So it may be that someone near you or in the same state is/can manufacture/ing that particulat style.
              Last edited by Sunlion; 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
              The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

I appreciate all your comments. I've decided to stay away from these Chinese made cabinets as I don't trust anything made over there.

Sunlion, these cabinets are not referring to a style. They are actually made in China and assembled in the U.S. This contractor tried to convince me that although a lot of junk is made in China, that these cabinets were of high quality at very good prices. I'm not believing it.

Rolf I appreciate the link and I think I will head over there to check it out this week. I'm not going to be doing my own work. I'm not too handy when it comes to this type of stuff. I need someone to install cabinets, flooring, tiles, countertop, sink, etc.

Comment

ah right, I misinterpreted.

Most goods made in the east do tend to be inferior quality due to mass production, corner cutting and cheap materials and labour, unless made by true artisans which I am sure there must be.

So I agree with you in staying clear. In Uk we made lots of great items in the past (some still do, don't get me wrong, but the east flooded the market with trash over the years.

Can't beat well made home grown items. But as a consequence and in order to compete many things now are shoddy even from home, and have built in obsolesence or are made with cheap materials. It's criminal but that's the way manufacturing has gone.

Only way to get real quality is buy bespoke, but then the price rockets.

Sunlion
                  The Journey Is Everything.

http://www.sunlion-pyrography.co.uk/

My Google+

Comment

We need to support the Made In The USA products. The job you save may be your own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsman View Post
                      We need to support the Made In The USA products. The job you save may be your own.
                      ........................Amen ............
                      Usually busier than a cat in a sandbox !!!!!!!!!!! MB { Dewalt 788 only }

Comment

I know this somewhat off topic...but I couldn't resit...I second and third the MADE IS USA!!!! Here in OS they actually opened an entire store downtown that ONLY carries Made in USA products and the woman that owns/operates the store is not a US citizen YET! She is originally from South Africa and is counting the day when she becomes a citizen, I was really impressed with her shop and story. She went to extremes to make sure EVERYTHING in her store was made in the USA including even the products used in the renevation to even her bags, tissue paper and boxes used for packaging.
                        ~ Kim

A day in my shop is like a day at the beach...full of sunshine and ya never know where the sawdust may end up!

www.gonecoastalart.com

Comment

Sawdust

I have installed plenty of cabinets and can tell you the Chinese cabinets are not very good quality. Did they give you the name of the manufacturer? I might have some paperwork on them if you know which cabinets they are.
                          If I had my choice of cabinets I would probably go with Holiday Kitchens: Contact a Holiday Kitchens Dealer
                          Tim

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X