I broke my toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I broke my toy

I was working on hollowing out a piece of mesquite for a bowl this afternoon and the stinken tool rest snapped off on my lathe. I couldn't believe it. I kept looking at the stub of the shaft that goes into the holder thing and the horizontal part laying on the floor. It just snapped off!
    Have any of you had that experience?
    OH, this is not scroll saw related by the way. The Hawk is still very nice and waiting with a puzzle on the table to be finished.
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Nooooooooo! I'm sorry to hear that. Toys shouldn't break!

Jan

Comment

Holy Mooly, how thick was that rest? Maybe you should claim bragging rights of how thick a piece of steel you can break with just your mind. Anyone can do spoons!
      Terry
      Got Moose?

Comment

WOW -- Is it fixable with a welder?? Mesquite is hard, but the tool rest should be harder.
        Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Is your toy still under warranty? If it is get with the company, I would anyway even if it is not under warranty. A part as critical as a tool rest should not snap from normal use.

DW
          Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
          John Wayne

Comment

Cast iron is not what it used to be. Especially when made over seas.
            Scott
            Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Wow! Good thing you were not killed in the process; or worse, permanently disabled! I'm not telling you to run down to your nearest lawyer and file a lawsuit, but, I might tell the company I was thinking about it when I called or wrote and told them what a frightful experience it was and how they should do something to help restore your confidence in their product.

John
              I've Got A Lot More To Learn
              About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
              "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

What lathe? It must have taken a real hit or it was defective from the start. I have never heard of this happening. You are lucky you did not get hurt.
                Rolf
                RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Were you close enough to the wood? Did the tool get caught? Must have been a defect in that weld..........soooooo glad you were not injured.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Mine did that a while back. Broke out the welder and glued it back together.
                    May the wind at you back .....
                    Not be from Lunch.

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

Beauty is in the eye of the BEERHOLDER

Visit My Gallery

Oily's Gallery

http://www.picturetrail.com/oily11

Comment

I have a 1936 Craftsman (Atlas) lathe and same thing. Broke out my 3rd most favorite toy and a few sparks later - repaired. If you're concerned with welding the rest, they can be purchased rather inpexpensively from Penn State and other suppliers...
                      "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"Make the project so you're happy with it. It makes no difference if someone else likes it or approves of it. If you're happy with how it turned out, then it's a masterpiece". - My Dad 2010

Comment

It is a Jet, an old blue one. No warranty for sure unless the guy I purchased it from comes up with another rest.
                        Going to Woodcrafters Supply to get a new one and some pen making paraphernalia.
                        I thought of using some JB weld but find it has hardened in the tubes. I tried welding a few times when I worked in a fabrication shop as a helper. Couldn't see the puddle, night vision is going.

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

When mine broke(very old lathe) I just got a piece of 5/8" steel and cut to needed size and welded it into a "T". Still using it today. Also made a few special use rest while I was at it.

Mike

Comment

That's a good idea Mike. I have a neighbor that welds. I could get a length of round stock and ask him to whip me up some. hummmm. goood idea.

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

You need a tool rest like this guy. It won't break. Woodturning with 150hp lathe -Crazy Canadian Woodworking - YouTube

Tom.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X