Sanding Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding Belts

Hi Everyone, I have a question about making your own sanding belts. I work in a cabinet factory and can get damaged sanding belts. My question is; Does anyone know where I could find the proper way to cut down and resize to make my own belts to fit my sanders? What type of adhesives to re-join the belts and the procedure ect.. ? Thanks, Steve
    If This HillBilly Can't Fix it Then it Ain't Broke!!!
    My Gallery
    [email protected]

Cut your belt on a angel that much I am sure of -- as to the type of adheasive I would suggest Gorilla glue. my son swears it will even hold a car together lol It is the strongest glue I know of . Those damaged belts can be cut down to use on sanders and loads of other things -lucky you for having a sorse for free sandpaper.
    Sharon

Comment

Sandpaper

Hi Sharon, thanks for the heads up on the gorilla glue. I usually use elmers all the time. I know I would have to have some sort of overlay on the seam on the back of the belt. The adhesive would have to be flexible and withstand the heat transfer from the friction. By the way some of the belts that I can get are 3' to 4' wide and 104" long. Sometimes they come in damaged a little and we can not use them on our drum sanders at work so they get trashed. ( such a waste) Even on the used belts there is a 6" wide strip that never gets used. If I can find what I need to make my own belts and they hold up maybe I could offer some up to everyone here in this big happy family. I haven't bought any sandpaper other than belts in 8 years. Steve
      My Gallery
      [email protected]

Comment

At the price you get it for it wouldn't make much difference if it didn't last long- what could be cheaper than free? I buy the sandpaper sheeyts and cut them to fit my small sanders -it is cheaper than buying the ones to fit - but they don't last long at all.
        Sharon

Comment

I have heard of using heavy duty duct tape on the inside of the join.
          I also came across a post while googling.
          It was on a forum called wood web
          From contributor P:
          I have glued belts together for years for a homemade stoke sander I built. I just cut the joint about 30 degrees on each end then use a belt sander to taper the edges and remove a half inch or so of grit on both ends to avoid a hump at the joint. I glue them together with cynoacrylate, cover the joint on both sides with a sandwich bag, and clamp them with a couple of small blocks and two heavy duty pinch clamps. The glue won't stick very good to a Ziploc bag or baggie.
          This may work for you.

I have a thickness sander at home that I have never used because I couldn't find sandpaper for it. I don't need belts but I do need 8" x 26" sheets.
          I can get it by the roll but I doubt that I would go through 150 feet of each grit I may redesign the drum to take advantage of regular paper rolls
          CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
          "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
          Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

I have heard of using heavy duty duct tape on the inside of the join.
            Steve,
            I've seen some "gorilla glue tape" on the shelves of my local hardware store. Maybe that would be strong enough to hold the belt together with a butt joint to eliminate the hump.

Bruce
            Bruce
            . . . because each piece will be someone's heirloom someday.
            visit sometime
            Hawk 220VS, Delta 40-570

Comment

Gorilla Tape

Hi Bruce, thanks for the tip. I found the Gorilla Tape at wal-mart and picked up a roll. It is a little expensive but if it works it will worth its weight in gold. I will let everyone know as soon as I get time to make up a couple of belts. Thanks, Steve
              My Gallery
              [email protected]

Comment

Use Caution

Please be careful. (didn't see a worried smilie)

I've seen a couple injuries due to sanding belts, and could just imagine the potential for more with making your own.

Has anyone else done this... successfully?

Take care
                Toni

Comment

Using Caution

Toni, Thanks for the concern, yes I definately agree to use caution. I know first hand what a blown sanding belt can do. If any one else has made their own belts I would appreciate any advice. Thanks again for pointing that out Toni. I would not want to give the impression that you could just tape some sandpaper together and make a sanding belt. Great Point, Steve
                  My Gallery
                  [email protected]

Comment

I asked this question of several sanding product suppliers and they say DON'T. My problem was keeping the belts around for so long because I didn't need them.

The manufacturers were universal in saying that new belts only have about a years shelf life.

I now buy belts as I need them.
                    Bob from Northwest Florida

Delta P20

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                      Farmers market "survey"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                      I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                      For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                      Today, 11:14 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                      Today, 11:00 AM
                    • Linda In Phoenix
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Linda In Phoenix
                      Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                      Today, 09:57 AM
                    • Rolf
                      Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                      by Rolf
                      So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                      I like the fact...
                      Today, 08:34 AM
                    • will8989
                      Reply to Farmers market
                      by will8989
                      Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                      Today, 08:17 AM
                    Working...
                    X