Post Santa Visit report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Santa Visit report

I hope all of you had a safe and happy holiday.
    Santa left me the two volume CD set of Scrollsaw Woodworking and crafts.
    I will say the magazine has come a long way from it's initial copy. I look forward to looking through all of them. If you are looking for that missing copy in your set this is the way to go.
    He also left me an Ipod touch, facinating technology, I have wirless setup in the house so that is how I use it. It will replace my old Palm PDA.
    Rolf
    RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
    Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
    Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
    And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

The wife and I did not exchange gifts the past couple of years....but I do need a new planer which I will be getting soon. We spent the money on Grandkids and I made a band saw box for all 5 of our kids...even our son loved it. As they get older they seem to appreciate what I make in a different way. We spent the day with about 50 friends at the beach...had 3 pods of whales swim by and put on a show for us...great day!! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

My wife surprised me with a 5-speed mini-lathe and a nice wooden case full of turning tools.

I've been wanting to learn how to turn wood for a while, so I'm pretty excited about getting it up and going.
      Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Sounds like Santa was good to you Shawn.
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
          Sounds like Santa was good to you Shawn.
          Good indeed! I really wasn't expecting it. In truth, I had been saving a little cash on the side for the past year or so to buy one. I think she knew that, so decided to surprise me. It's not a real expensive one, but since I'm totally new to woodturning, that's okay. She bought me the Excelsior model at our local Rockler. The speed change is done manually by changing the belt, like my drill press, but from what I've read, it's pretty simple. Most reviews I've seen state that it is sturdy and spins true, so I'm happy. If I get good at it down the road, I can always step up a model, but this looks like a fun little machine. The tools are really nice, also.

Sure beats underwear and socks.
          Shawn Ferguson

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !

Comment

Oh no Shawn, once you get the turning bug, you may never "turn" back. We wouldnt want to see your puzzles take a back seat. But then again, with your imaginative touch, I am sure you will make some amazing creations on the lathe.

Rolf, you too may find the iPod touch make take up more time than you might expect. Enjoy.
            Last edited by Lois from Mississauga; 12-27-2011, 11:37 AM.
            Lois

Comment

Shawn welcome to the dark side. Turning is a nice break from scrolling. Keep your tools sharp and watch a few U tube videos that teach you how to rub the bevel or better yet find an experienced turner to point the way.
              Rolf

Comment

Santa brought me a new hand held 3x21 belt sander, a new dremel, some new bits for the dremel, and some gift cards to lowes. Not too bad this year.
                Have a great day..Teddy

Comment

Santa did me well also : ) New Band Saw, Some Carolina work boots for the shop, A sweet popcorn maker like the big ones but smaller and some very needed new clothes. Between losing 197 lbs and everything else covered in stain and glue the wife was embarressed to go anywhere with me lolol. I also got amazing kudo's on all my wood projects a made and gave as gifts, I was very proud
                  Yea I walked through The Valley of Death and I kicked it's ***
                  Semper Fi

Comment

Wildcat, did you say you lost 197 lbs. How in the world did you loose that much weight? I am trying to shed 60 lbs. and have only lost 20 in the past couple months. That is allot of weight to just fall off...I'm sure it wasn't that easy
                    Hawaiilad
                    Larry

Comment

Originally posted by Hawaiilad View Post
                      Wildcat, did you say you lost 197 lbs. How in the world did you loose that much weight? I am trying to shed 60 lbs. and have only lost 20 in the past couple months. That is allot of weight to just fall off...I'm sure it wasn't that easy
                      Well a little boring history lol. I've had 5 heart attacks, a mild stroke and 2 open heart surgeries. I was 365lbs. taking 72 pills a day, 7 shots of insulin, oxygen 24/7. I was on a heart transplant list. After my last heart attack and heart surgery my Cardioligist told me to have gastric by pass surgery or I would be dead with in 2 years. Well I did and I was 168 this morning. I'm down to 12 pills a day including 2 vitamins, no insulin or Diabetic meds in a year, no oxygen and I feel as good as I did the day I retired from the Corps. I spend at least 8 to 10 hours a day in the wood shop, Hell I feel like I'm 30 again. Life is good.
                      Yea I walked through The Valley of Death and I kicked it's ***
                      Semper Fi

Comment

I would not say that story is boring at all. Thank goodness you listened to the Dr. and took their advice. I think that is a great story. So many of us do not get a second chance like you have had. Thanks for sharing with us.
                        Hawaiilad
                        Larry

Comment

Old wild cat, Now that is a Cristmas present!! What an accomplishment.
                          Rolf

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
                            Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                            by meflick
                            got mine in the mail today. Thanks.Cute and befitting. Now I need to know how it’s made/what it’s made from. (On everyone gets theirs of course.)...
                            Yesterday, 08:21 PM
                          • Jo Labre
                            Reply to Joining the new tool frenzy
                            by Jo Labre
                            At the time I thought "Ah, spit!" (or words like that) and just threw the blade in the garbage. It was the #5 size blade. I suspect it would cost more to have it done than the cost of a new blade. The owners manual is not very helpful, the wording is awkward, having been 'translated' into...
                            Yesterday, 11:13 AM
                          • hotshot
                            by hotshot
                            The brazing process doesn't look too bad. I have seen the welders built into the industrial bandsaws, so out of curiosity, I looked that up and that process is pretty cool to watch also, though trying that on something this small would probably light the whole thing up....
                            Yesterday, 10:14 AM
                          • Rolf
                            by Rolf
                            Jo, I did a bit of research on the web, and there are lots of videos of people silver soldering broken blades. In hindsight I remember I had made a jig eons ago to do just that, when I still had a small Craftsman bench top three wheeler....
                            Yesterday, 09:32 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to About ornament exchange and secret Santa exchange
                            by Rolf
                            I haven't even decided what to make!
                            Yesterday, 09:27 AM
                          Working...
                          X