Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will be on your Thanksgiving table?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will be on your Thanksgiving table?

We will be gathering at my one of my husband's brothers and the gang will be there and we will be having: 31 pound turkey, stuffing, 9.7 pound ham that I will fix on the grill here, 10 pounds of potatoes, 5 pounds of sweet potatoes, 1 gallon fresh sauerkraut, large pots of fresh green beans & kale, 4 dozen rolls, 1 homemade pumpkin pie, 2 homemade cherry crumb pies, one home made cheesecake, homemade whipped cream, all for, ready this? 15 people!!!!! I think we're getting carried away, don't you? They don't know how to do anything small. At least we will have lots and lots of leftovers!!! What's on your table?
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

So Betty - when do the diets begin?

Not being from your neck of the woods I don't indulge in this type of foodfest but I'm open for invites if you need anyone to help clear the leftovers.

Hope your family and you have a great meal together and thoroughly enjoy the celebration.

PS - Don't forget the seltzer for the day after!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving all. Just remember to follow the simple cooking instructions on the turkey package.....Remove Feathers Before Roasting Turkey!

We have been gathering at our house for restuffing the day after Thanksgiving for 40 plus years. There are anywhere from 15-28 family and friends in attendance. This year we expect between 22 and 26.
      We begin at about 5 pm so that people can get home from work or shopping and start with 1-2 hours of drinks of all kinds, snacks which include, chips, pretzels, dip, salsa, cheese and crackers, deviled eggs, salami, pepperoni, veggies and dip, and good conversation to catch everyone up on the years events.
      The main event is more wine and soda, salad, 4-6 dozen rolls and butter, green bean casserole (with french fried onions of course), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, regular stuffing, corn bread and sausage stuffing, gravy by the quart, 2-20+ lb turkeys (one roasted on Wednesday, carved and the carcass turned into stock for gravy and other uses) the other roasted on Friday, coffee, tea, whipped cream and flourless chocolate cake, pumpkin pie (often made from butternut squash), gluten free chocolate chip brownies, and any other deserts anyone brings.

Many of the dishes are made and brought to the festivities by our friends and family so my wife and I don't actually have to make everything.

george
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

This year my husband and I moved back into a house after 8 years of being full-time RVers. We will celebrate Thanksgiving in our own home for the first time in as many years surrounded by good friends who, like us, have no family in the area. My husband and I are preparing a turkey along with the usual condiments, nibbles throughout the day and a pumpkin/rum/walnut cheesecake that I make every year. Our friends are bringing side dishes and other surprises they have chosen not to tell me about.

As for turkey preparation, it is, as previously mentioned, very important to remove the feathers. I also discovered it is just as important to take out all the paper bags full of turkey parts that are hidden in the body cavity. We will not discuss how I discovered this, but it was a lot of years ago and I've never forgotten that lesson.

From my house to yours, Happy Thanksgiving and Buon Appetito!

Jan

Comment

Darn! I'll have to call Rita to make sure she removes the feathers!! LOL This is actually smaller than years past when we would go to my mother's home she grew up in with all the aunts, uncles, cousins and at times we would top out at 45. Everyone have a happy and safe Gobble Gobble day wherever you are and whatever you do.
          Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

for sure, my elbows. Just the wife and I this year. I like the idea of tacos for thanksgiving.
            Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
            Desert Woodcrafters
            Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

snide comments, hurt feelings, over stepping the bounds of parenting someone else's child, pure gluttony and greed by some family members acting as if this is the last meal EVER, you know, the usual Thanksgiving meal.
              Keith

Comment

How about a nice peaceful dinner for two, roast turkey breast (rest frozen in parts for future use) with gravy, stuffing, butternut squash casserole with pecans, fresh cranberry sauce, and a good bottle of wine? And something yummy for dessert.

We're have the kids and their families over two weeks later, for brisket, chicken and Chinese spare ribs. We didn't want to put anyone in conflict over which family to visit on Thanksgiving, so this has worked out well for us. Starting traditions with blended families is interesting, and this, fortunately, has worked out well so far.

And my own family of origin? Well, that's another story, less said the better!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
                Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow, that was close. I could have really embarrassed myself. After reading the first paragraph of Carole's post I almost responded "sure, what time?" . Fortunately for me I read on and realized she wasn't inviting me but describing her and her sweetie's plans. whew, close.
                  Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
                  Desert Woodcrafters
                  Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Comment

Well due to a fight with inlaws(who are now outlaws) my wife and I well be eatting out. Tacos sounds good but I don't think the wife well go for that. Hope you'al have a good one.Lance

Comment

The wife has been working with a couple people for weeks getting everyone ready for this day. On Thanksgiving and Christmas (as well as a few other times during the year) she really puts on a spread. Since nearly all of our friends have family on the Mainland, we get together and just have fun. Everyone will bring their best dish, something hard to drink, a little smoke and always a great story to tell. I know for sure I am bar-b-qing two turkeys the day before.

I hope everyone has a great day with family and friends
                      Hawaiilad
                      Larry

Comment

Our blended family has the pleasure of Thanksgiving, followed by tree trimming, Hanukkah, Christmas, two birthdays and New Year's Eve. By Jan. 1, we don't want to look at food or drink for a month.

george
                        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Well, StephenD, there's always room for one more.

And fireglass, better a fight before, than during. (Don't ask me how I know, but it took a while to clean up the marshmallows that I threw at my sister.) Maybe you can order your tacos anyway.
                          Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Comment

When our gang gets done..........crumbs will be on our Thanksgiving table.
                            Have a great day everyone. thanksgiving 6.gif
                            Last edited by Wood Dog; 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM.
                            Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

WOW, Betty ! Where did you find a 31 lb. Turkey. I always have trouble finding one over 20 lb. here in Yuma. Guess they don't have any that big here, HA. I do try to get fresh & not frozen, maybe that's why.
                              HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone.
                              PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Big week here
                                by will8989
                                Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
                                Today, 09:09 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
                                ingers crossed
                                Today, 07:35 PM
                              • cwmagee
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by cwmagee
                                I think it might be a letter that one would need to use the left index finger. Perhaps you need a heavier hammer.
                                Today, 05:39 PM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New tools
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi Rolf - the unit I bought will also do Tig welding once you buy the optional accessories - torch, nozzles etc: - plus it will do conventional stick welding too. I doubt I'll be heading down the TIG route anytime soon, at least not for the projects I have in mind at the moment.

I did a...
                                Today, 05:26 PM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                Jim I bought a mig welder the last time I did a frame off restoration on my TVR. I had a few frame cracks. I bought one that used shielding gas. I never really mastered the power vs feed vs moving the torch. Using it only a couple of times a year did not help.
                                My dream was to buy a TIG so that...
                                Today, 04:32 PM
                              Working...
                              X