respratory protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• respratory protection

I have been using what I think is a really good dust mask. It is a neoprene mask with changeable filters.
    Lately, I have been having breathing difficulty after cutting, sanding and just cleaning the shop, even when I wear the mask.
    It could be the plywood I have been using. If the chemical dust released from the glue is the problem, the mask wouldn't filter that out.
    Do any of you use a dust mask that takes canister filters? I retired from a chemical factory about 4 years ago and really didn't want to go back to those contraptions again but may have to if I am to keep woodworking.
    So....whacha using that may help me?
    Pacifism is great, as long as everyone is participating.

StephenD

The Southern Arizona Woodturners Association
    Desert Woodcrafters
    Grandpa for the 7 most amazing children.

Hi Stephen - if your local municipal has a health and safety office it would probably pay you to speak to them for some advice on dust masks for your application.
    If you can't find a suitable traditional dust mask because maybe you are supersensitive to any of the dusts or solvents you are using, or you simply find them uncomfortable to wear the only real alternative would be a positive pressure half or full face mask. There are some comfortable lightweight ones around these days that hook up to filtered air blowers that keep any external dust from entering your respiratory system and although you may need to change the way you work a little its possible to move around a small working area whilst wearing one without too much inconvenience.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yup Jim. I wore full face respirators with supplied air in my former occupation. Often all day. I guess the half face with canisters is the way I need to go. You can get the canisters to filter out lots of levels of "crap". Thanks for the reply.

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

I, like others, have tried many of the so called dust masks and I bought the Dust Bee Gone and wear it nearly all day long, wash it out at night and start all over the next day. It seems to have helped and is not heavy on my head. At least on dust in the shop it helps.
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

You may also want to consider an Air Filtration System for your shop. Anything and everything that will help remove sawdust is a plus in my opinion. I've read that some people do not consider the scroll saw as a big sawdust maker.........I whole heartedly disagree, that fine dust will get into every nook and cranny of your lungs. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
          Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

I am looking for a used furnace to put in the loft of my shop. I figure they are made to move air thru the filters and should be just the ticket. Maybe.

StephenD

Desert Woodcrafters

Comment

Hi again Stephen - just to add to Larry's comment. I've tried many types of masks for removing nuisance dust both for work and play and without a doubt the DustBeGone is the only one I can comfortably wear all day without problems. Anything else I've tried usually gets pulled off and dumped within a few minutes of use. I very much doubt that this will filter out the very fine particles and certainly won't help with solvents but for general shop dust it gets my vote. I also like that it can be worn wet when the temperature gets really high which is kinda refreshing.

Good luck with your search for something more appropriate.
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Who washes their Dustbegone on a regular basis? How do you do it. Just warm sudsy water in the sink and let it air dry over night? I usually blow mine out with my compressor everyday before i put it on. have not tried washing it.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

I just checked out the Dustbegone site. Kind of pricey! But, I have heard good reviews about it. Really thinking about it. Mike, on the site, left-hand column, there is dust mask care tab. The mask is washable, mild detergent, let dry.

Paul
                  www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

I wash mine when I leave the shop for the day, just take it to the bathroom sink, let the water run through it, soap it up and rinse. Lay it on a towel to dry over night. One thing I like to do in the summer when it's a tad hot in the shop, is get it wet and put it on my face while still wet........oh it feels so cool, and it still works just fine.
                    Hey Mike, you do wash the undies don't ya?.......
                    Last edited by Wood Dog; 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM.
                    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Hey Mike, you do wash the undies don't ya?.......
                      Well you have to turn em at least once first right? <smile> I hope you know I'm kidding.
                      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Yep, I wash it in the sink with soap, rinse and hang on the back of the door. All ready the next day along with my clean undies
                        Hawaiilad
                        Larry

Comment

I just checked out the Dustbegone site. Kind of pricey!
                          Hi Paul - the price probably does scare some folks off but i know of at least one forum member who put me on to these masks who told me that despite almost daily use, with care and regular washing his mask has lasted 4 years plus which makes it excellent value compared to the usual throwaway alternatives.

@Mike (wood n' things) or Larry - having just spent from 7:30 - 8:30 on a Sunday morning at the village self service laundrette, any chance I can send one of you my dirty undies to wash, pals? I'll make sure they are fumigated first?

Ref washing my DustBeGone - I simply swill it around in a bucket of warm soapy water for a few mins and then do the same in cold water to rinse it, hang it up to dry and its ready for use the next morning. Best not to rub it so as to not destroy the fibre weave of the fabric.
                          Last edited by jim_mex; 11-20-2011, 04:44 AM.
                          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry Jim, you will have to wash your own undies....seems like I am always hanging mine on the line to dry from the washer....perhaps Mike will take them
                            Hawaiilad
                            Larry

Comment

As you know from my previous posts I am a real fussy about dust collecting in my shop. BUT, I still wear the Dust be gone and wash it maybe once a month. I have had it for about 5 or 6 years. The undies a lot longer. You know you wear them out if you wash them to often, don't you?
                              Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                              Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                              Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by jim_mex
                                Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                                Today, 09:17 AM
                              • jim_mex
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by jim_mex
                                Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                                Today, 08:42 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                                by Rolf
                                WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                                Today, 08:20 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New tools
                                by Rolf
                                You tube is a real blessing when it comes to learning new stuff. I have watched one that compared the flux core and gas mig weld. If I remember correctly polarity comes into play. The flux core weld was really nice. Have fun.
                                I was told by the cardiologist that I am not allowed to weld because...
                                Today, 08:14 AM
                              • Rolf
                                Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                                by Rolf
                                The contacts on the keyboard main board are a screen printed silver metal the keys have small membrane switches under them, the probability of repair is slim. spilled coffee takes out the contacts almost instantly, the voice of experience,
                                Today, 08:06 AM
                              Working...
                              X