Accademia, Venice - superb restored craftsmanship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accademia, Venice - superb restored craftsmanship

Last Sunday on yet another escape from my work here in northern Italy I finally got to visit Venice and the Isle of Murano and on a 10 hour long walking tour of almost all of the city and the nearby island famous for its glass works I covered far more of the place than most one day tourists would and was still left with plenty to see.

I have a ruck of photos to sort through and to be honest they are not the best I've taken. The day was incredibly sunny with no clouds and the high contrasts caused by a perfectly clear wintry sky gave me some headaches when trying to capture shots of the dark narrow nooks and corners of the city which interested me the most. Whilst I sort these photos out the following shots taken of some restored religious craftwork will hopefully give a taste of the magnificent things I saw during the day.

These panels of Christ and the four apostles were on display at the famous Accademia gallery to show how restoration of original artworks is carried out and the results obtained. The display room included the original ceiling from which the panels were removed for restoration. Each panel of the apostles is about 30 " diam. The Jesus panel is about 33" height. In order to display the panels well the small darkish room was lit with diffuse spotlights on each of the pieces so all I needed to do was point and shoot to get these shots and just give them a slight colour saturation tweak afterwards.

The first two shots show the sumptuous gilded relief work of the ceiling and the wooden boarded backing which supported the panels.

What impressed me most about these pieces, particularly the apostles, was the really deep relief work in the carvings and of course the superb attention to detail and the fantastic colours.

This display was on show right at the end of the gallery tour and after spending an hour roaming through rooms full of paintings by most of the great Italian Renaissance masters and feeling a little numb at seeing so many magnificent pieces of art, some of awe inspiring size, these panels struck me as being so fresh and different, more akin to the type of carving and scrolling masterpieces we see on this forum, that they really were the highlight of my Accademia tour.

Whether you are turned on by religious art or not there can be no doubt that these works are craftsmanship at its very best.

Enjoy!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jim_mex; 11-16-2011, 03:04 PM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Absolutely stunning. I always enjoy looking at the architecture and decorative touches of other countries when I visit. Thanks for sharing.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Amazing carvings,preciate the post.You should be a tour guide designer.
      Tony

Comment

Thank you Jim, your pictures of such wonderful craftsmanship really made my evening. Wish I could have taken that gallery tour myself!
        Ivar ("treslakter" - read as "woodbutcher")

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Comment

Beautiful pics, Jim, Thank you for sharing. It is a treat to see.
          Rose

Comment

Great shots Jim...
            Definetly master craftsmen...!!!
            Yer makin me jealous...lol.
            Something I'd love to see, if you can get some shots of it, is the bracework on some of the old buildings there. A great deal of it was made by families with good old fret saws.... They would sit around cutting and talking...Something better than TV...
            Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
            No task is too tedious for Art.
            Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
            Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Something I'd love to see, if you can get some shots of it, is the bracework on some of the old buildings there.
              Hey Jim - Shots of bracework eh? Sounds like something I could cut my teeth on!

Since you guys across the pond have strange ways of describing things just clarify the terminology please. Do you mean the structural timbers which form part of the principal design of medieval homes - ie the ones which are usually exposed and have plaster or daub and wattle infills such as seen in the gable ends and arches of buildings?
              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Sorry, I should have been clearer...
                I'm talking about the fretwork that you'll see under the soffits of the buildings.
                You know, just under the roofs...
                I'm not too interested in the plaster ones. I mean the ones made of wood...of course....

I would really love to see some. I've heard such wonderful stories..
                Thanks in advance Jim......
                Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hey Jim - thanks for the clarification. I'll keep my eyes open for these details as I wander around.
                  Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks mate...
                    Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim - Thanks for sharing some wonderful artwork. I read your post yesterday, but my computer screen is on the fritz, so your pictures appeared very blury. Today when I booted up the laptop, the screen appeared normal & boy did that make a difference. The pictures are awesome. Now if I can just keep my computer working, so I can enjoy more of your trips. Thanks for sharing.
                      www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Outstanding photos as usual, thanks once again for taking us with you. Sweeeet craftsmanship to be sure.
                        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                          Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                          by NC Scroller
                          I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                          Today, 11:24 AM
                        • NC Scroller
                          Reply to Big week here
                          by NC Scroller
                          Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                          Today, 11:18 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                          by jim_mex
                          Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                          Today, 09:17 AM
                        • jim_mex
                          Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                          by jim_mex
                          Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                          Today, 08:42 AM
                        • Rolf
                          Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                          by Rolf
                          WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                          Today, 08:20 AM
                        Working...
                        X