Light hearted irreverence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light hearted irreverence

Note - Please do not take this post has anything but a little piece of dark humour - I mean no disrespect to individuals with strong religious beliefs.

Sometimes its only the humour which stops me from exploding in frustrating situations.

For the past month a miscommunication between my landlord and the agency renting his small one roomed apartment to me has resulted in neither of them paying the electricity bill which caused my 'smart' meter in the street to restrict my electrical consumption to a minimal power supply sufficient only to run my refrigerator, the TV and my laptop, the hot water pump and a couple of lamps, but nothing else - no cooking grill, no vacuum cleaner, no clothes iron and most importantly, no scroll saw.

After 4 weeks of battling severe bureaucratic nonsense to try get my power supply back up to its full potential I thought that yesterday my problems were finally solved. Imagine my surprise and frustration when last night, after a really long day at work, I arrived home to absolutely no power supply at all, no hot water and a very cold apartment with outdoor temperatures forecasted to drop to freezing point overnight!

My first thought after the obligatory swear words was to fire up a burner on the gas hob to give a little warmth to the apartment and then go buy some candles to supplement the LED light from my laptop which would only last a couple of hours at the best. Well the hob turned out to be no go since it works on electronic ignition and not being a smoker I had nothing to light it with. I guess as a ceramist I should carry a shard of flint around with me in my pocket and neaderthal-like strike a spark with it to fire the gas but enough of that. To add to the candles a BIC lighter seemed a better solution.

5 mins later at the small local supermarket, and the only open store around for miles at that time of night, I searched the shelves for candles. Now, you can tell when you are in a predominantly Catholic country when the only candles you can find are votive ones in nice red glass vases! I guess If I'd have wanted to invite someone home to warm my bed for the night I could have bought a 'red light' to place in my window but instead I begged the shop assistant to try to find me something a little more illuminating. Eventually she came back with a large votive candle in an opaque white glass emblazened with the image of Pope John Paul. Better that than nothing I bought it, and probably earned a plus point with the assistant for my devotion to a cause. Little did she know that the first thought that crossed my mind on seeing the image of the late pontiff bowed over his staff owed more to a Brit sense of black humour and a twinge of irreverance. Now honestly, in my situation would you have thought of anything different?

The upside to this situation is that finally this morning full power was returned to my apartment. Just one slight problem, now the hot water boiler won't fire up! Maybe I should call in at the church tonight and borrow a little holy water to sprinkle on it!

Life situations like this often remind me of a saying an elderly but wise co-worker said to me very many years ago....
    Lad... If things don't stay as they are, they'll probably change!
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

Wonder who would have been responsible for busted pipes, and the resulting clean up, by not paying the electric bill if your situation went on any further.
    Glad you got your electricity back. Guess all beautiful places has drawbacks.......people.
    Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

If you're going to live in Italy, you've the problem of dealing with Italians. It may be that the votive candle dominance in the markets is trying to tell you something. I think prayer may be your only hope of surviving the trials and tribulations of living in such a beautiful place.

Jan

Comment

Jim,
        Remember, Father Lucas Trevant....Muhahaha
        Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
        No task is too tedious for Art.
        Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
        Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim, I am so glad you saw the light.
          Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

A candle lit dinner sounds OK ...

Rhys

Comment

You guys are so bad...Poor Jim setting there in the dark and cold all night long Hey Jim, we loose our power here on the Island from time to time and we keep battery lights close by.
              Hawaiilad
              Larry

Comment

Hehehe! - Love you folks!

Well, the good news is that I sorted out the gas boiler this evening - the power outage caused an air lock in the system along with zero water pressure and the 'smart' boiler won't kick in if no pressure is detected. Also, after cooking a pizza in my electric grill oven without the power going off it seems the electrical problems have now been resolved. I left the votive candle burning all through a very cold night to ward off any evil spirits and just maybe those rays of light radiating outwards from the late pontiff's image may have helped a little. Who knows?

Back to almost normal I'm now hunched over my laptop trying to sort out some decent photos from a ruck I took on yet another long Sunday out when I hoofed it around Venice and Murano for 12 hours - a glorious day with simply beautiful weather, in fact so glorious that most of my shots are crappy high contrast scenes! I think I may have to forgo posting any of these and go back again next weekend to take some better ones. Geez, what it is to suffer - LOL!
                Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

G'day Jim,
                  All I will say, for the sake of those more sensitive members, is Glad you got it sorted
                  Glad you've seen the light
                  Last edited by JohnB; 11-15-2011, 10:07 PM.
                  Regards
                  John
                  "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
                  Some of my Stuff
                  Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Murano??????? Now I'm really jealous! I could spend weeks in the Murano glass studios.
                    Venice is OK too, especially if you brought your Wellies.

We want pictures!

Jan

Comment

Murano??????? Now I'm really jealous! I could spend weeks in the Murano glass studios.
                      Me too Jan - in fact if the nice looking young lady in charge of the glass studio tour had have asked me if I would have liked a 'blow job' on the island I'd have snapped up the offer!

Wipe that smirk off of your face you shameful woman, I was thinking only of glass blowing!

Btw - I'm not sure what this guy was intending to produce but at this stage it had a couple of young girls next too me giggling quite a bit!

Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

i can see why they were gigling...............lol
                        not doing much
                        and busy doing it

having fun making sawdust.

http://www.customcutz4you.webs.com/

Comment

At that stage, wouldn't it jus courderize....yeouch
                          Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                          No task is too tedious for Art.
                          Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                            Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                            by NC Scroller
                            I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                            Today, 11:24 AM
                          • NC Scroller
                            Reply to Big week here
                            by NC Scroller
                            Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                            Today, 11:18 AM
                          • jim_mex
                            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                            by jim_mex
                            Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Norma and I are still growing into our 'new' home but are really happy that we got this work done and everyone who has seen the transformation have been wowed.

From my side I'm really pleased with how my kitchen extension idea worked out....
                            Today, 09:17 AM
                          • jim_mex
                            Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                            by jim_mex
                            Hi guys - it seems like I am back in business. The offending 'F' key seemed to lack sufficient travel to push down on the main board so I stuck a thin sliver of plastic under it with super glue and that seems to have solved the problem.

The only downside is I now have no excuses for my...
                            Today, 08:42 AM
                          • Rolf
                            Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
                            by Rolf
                            WOW! I really like your taste in doors etc. I have have always leaned towards contemporary / modern. But our house is a small cape and that style would not suit it. Since we are both Geminis we have 4 people and our house is very eclectic. Each room has a bit of different style.
                            Today, 08:20 AM
                          Working...
                          X