making a stool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a stool

I may be over extending my skill as a new woodworker but I have decided I would like to make a stool. I was going to buy a stool so I would not have to stand while at my scroll saw but then realized how dumb it would be to buy a stool when I have a scroll saw and a band saw. I am looking for some easy instruction for a beginner. If any one has any information or a website with the information it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Pat

Some ideas for very basic stools...

How about cutting identical slots 3/4" thick halfway down the length of two 3/4" panels, slotting them together, then scrolling another piece of board into a disc which you could use as the seat. If you cut some shapes out of the 'legs', the stool would look much less chunky.

If you've got a drill press, you could cut 4 pieces of 1" square timber to length for legs and join them with lengths of dowel. Then just cut the seat to whatever shape you want and screw it on top, preferably countersinking the screws.

If you don't have a drill press, you could use square cut timber for the 'spells', joining them to the legs with sliding dovetails.

Oh, the possibilities are endless.

And I bet you end up doing something completely different to any of these nutty suggestions!

Gill (who'll also have a look to see if she's got some 'proper' stool plans somewhere)
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KarlB
      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
      by KarlB
      Very nice Jim. You have a very contemporary look now! Since I do cabinet, Entertainment centers, etc. for my work I see a lot of the same looks being done here in Naples. (i.e. large porcelain tiles, lighted dropped ceiling)

I do like your use of the space in the door way for additional...
      Today, 09:41 PM
    • KarlB
      Reply to Craft Knife blade holder
      by KarlB
      Well judging from the photos, it looks like it could be a scroll or band saw. (The photos, although a bit blurred, show a few burrs at the cut.) It also appears the set screw may go into the other side of the cut as the hole on the blade would allow the pass through. Maybe, however it is just a pressure...
      Today, 09:31 PM
    • will8989
      Reply to Home remodeling completed !!!
      by will8989
      Beautiful!...
      Today, 09:19 PM
    • will8989
      Reply to Big week here
      by will8989
      Bruce said he felt like he needed to look for a job when he first retired. That lasted for about a month and he hasn’t looked back since. I had a friend whose company gave him a 50th party. At the party he told them he was retiring in 2 weeks! Trust us, you will love being retired.
      Today, 09:09 PM
    • jim_mex
      Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
      by jim_mex
      Hi ibber - LOL!

I took the keyboard back to the store a while back and they hadn't got a replacement in stock. Since I like the look o it I think I am going to play attack it later this evening and try to sort out the problem.
      ingers crossed
      Today, 07:35 PM
    Working...
    X