Report from the big ditch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report from the big ditch

I just returned topside from another wonderful fishing trip. We had some muddy water for the first part of the trip, but the water cleared and there was no flooding this time.

I thought I'd share a few pics with you. On the second day, we encountered a bighorn sheep that was coming down close to camp. By the time I got my camera out, he was well up the slope from the initial 20 yards away. If you see the bighorn in this photo, your eyes are better than mine, but I'm sure he is there.

bighorn.jpg

Saw a cute beetle.

Colorful beetle.jpg

Even in October, there are flowers in bloom. The yellow one is broom snakeweed. The other one is not in my Plants of the Grand Canyon book.

Broom snakeweed.jpg Lavender flower.jpg

There are many varieties of cacti. One of my favorites is a tiny (approx 1.5" in diameter) Mammalaria (AKA Graham's fishhook) that is next to the trail. I caught the crew taking pictures of a clump of barrel cacti.

mamalaria.jpg trail through rocks.jpg photographing a barrel cactus.jpg

The river & canyon always provides some good photo opportunities. I love the traqvertine dams that terrace the river.

mud flat with reflection.jpg travertine dams.jpg

We always eat well in the big ditch. Here is breakfast one morning. Pound cake with strawberries & whipped cream make a tasty dessert.

Breakfast.jpg dessert.jpg
    Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

great pictures, i love when you show them. they would also make great puzzles. thanks for sharing
    Tricia

Comment

Hi Jim - good to see you posting another of your tales of the big ditch.
      Surprisingly I did spot the bighorn without needing a magnifying glass!
      Don't even ask me about the names of flowers, I wouldn't have a clue.
      As to those last two shots. You certainly know how to make me drool!
      Good to see that you are putting your Coleman to excellent use!!

Keep having fun pal!
      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing. I never was good at those seek and find pictures. I swear there is no fox in any of my books and now you say there is a bighorn in the picture posted above. Yeah right. Maybe I need new glasses.....
        Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

What a beautiful area!
          DeWalt 788

Comment

Welcome back, Jim. Great photos. I think I'm going to need a magnifying glass to see the Bighorn.

Jan

Comment

Jim, those are some fantastic shots you brought back for us. Thanks a bunch ! What kind of breakfast has strawberry's & whipped cream for dessert. I envy you. HA Glad you had a good time & thanks again for the great show. Love that Big Ditch !
              PERK

Comment

Thanks for the pics.
                Tony

Comment

Thanks for sharing your pictures with us.

Bob
                  Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

Always glad to share some pics. I love my home away from home.

Tricia (& others) if you want to use any of my pics for a puzzle, I'd be happy to share the full-size/resolution images with you.
                    Mtnman Jim

Comment

Sweeeeet pics Jim thanks for sharing......just a suggestion here, but you may want to add the name of the place you call big ditch for future readers. It's also nice to go back on old post sometimes, and memory will fade as to just where your big ditch really is.
                      Your photos are stunning and if someone wants to make a puzzle they would be able to call it where it is.
                      Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

The only thing I can see that could be a Big horn is its horn over a big rock, but I would not swear to it. Great pictures and thanks for sharing... Now I am going to get some cake.
                        Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                        Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                        Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

I always look forward to your latest adventure in the ditch. You have not disappointed this time. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
                          "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                          Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

WD -- Thanks for the reminder that many folks might not know where what I call the "big ditch" is located. For those who don't know, it is just outside of the Grand Canyon National Park in a side canyon that flows into the Colorado River. We frequently walk to the Colorado River (and the National Park) where we frequently encounter raft trips.
                            Mtnman Jim

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                              Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                              by Linda In Phoenix
                              What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                              The bags seem easier on the surface.
                              But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                              Today, 03:24 PM
                            • will8989
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by will8989
                              Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                              Today, 10:32 AM
                            • Sandy Oaks
                              by Sandy Oaks
                              As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                              Today, 09:46 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                              by NC Scroller
                              I would make the shed 1" less than the size permits are required for. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH SPACE....
                              Today, 07:42 AM
                            • NC Scroller
                              by NC Scroller
                              I shrink wrap all my puzzles. It is the best method I have found. I do not use a cardboard backer as some do. I use shrink wrap bags that I get from Amazon or Ebay. 8" x 12" will fit 95% of the puzzles I make.

To use the bags you will need a sealer. I have one very similar...
                              Today, 07:39 AM
                            Working...
                            X