Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cinque Terre walkabout - my latest Italian adventure

Come join in my walk by clicking on the image

Footnote: I bought a new camera 24 hours before the walk, a Sony NEX-7, point and shoot DSLR. I'm still getting used to it but apart from not having suitable filters at the time for my shots I'm pretty pleased with the results. Hope you also enjoy them
    Last edited by jim_mex; 10-29-2011, 11:27 AM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

For a very sad follow up to this thread take a look at my post

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/off-topic/41208.htm

and on a similar subject, although fortunately without any damage, whilst I was putting the finishing touches to this slide show at around 6:15 this morning I heard a large rumbling sound accompanied by a slight vibration, which I thought was a large truck driving past my apartment. Strange because there's no large road near me. It turned out to be a 4.2 magnitude earthquake with the epicenter just a few kilometers to the north of me. Now that's what I call an early morning wake-up call!
    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

A beautiful story and photos.
      !

John

Old Dust

Comment

What a story Jim, and those beautiful photos are just awesome bravo mini.gif, one question I have is.....do you take notes along the way, or write all this from memory?
        Thanks for the journey today..........loved it.
        So glad you were not harmed by the earthquake.
        Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

one question I have is.....do you take notes along the way, or write all this from memory?
          Hi Gloria - Luckily Alzheimer hasn't set in yet so its usually from memory which I fortunately have a good one for details. I sometimes check up on some facts from the internet just to make sure I don't slip up but on this occasion it wasn't necessary. Some of those images were just so impressive that they will be burnt into my grey matter for a good while to come.

Glad John and you enjoyed the trip
          Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for the tour,your talent is amazing.
            Tony

Comment

Jim, I was headed toward the scrollsaw when I found your post. Thanks for the side trip. I really enjoy seeing part of the world that I may never get to visit. Thanks for sharing all of your pictures & stories.
              Donna
              www.wix.com/tangowooddesign/home-page

Comment

Very nice tour. Thanks for allowing us to tag along. My legs did not even get tired...

I have a PS.
                The architecture, lifestyles and scenery are breathtaking. When you first described where you were going to trek my mind said-- I wonder if it would have been better to start at the uphill end of this trek. You proved my thought was correct.

I can not even comprehend having to work in those vineyards under those conditions. I would never be able to ride the coaster from hell. Thank you once a gain for a wonderful tour, well done.
                Last edited by wood-n-things; 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM.
                "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

belle foto. quanto tempo hai impiegato per smettere di usare le stampell

Comment

belle foto. quanto tempo hai impiegato per smettere di usare le stampell

Quasi una settimana intera amica!!!!

For those not versed in the romantic languages Jan asked me how long did it take me to get rid of the crutches!

The true answer is that I was hobbling for the best part of week! Monday was a killer to move anywhere around the factory, Tuesday and Wednesday my modus oparandi was to keep moving slowly and not stop for fear of locking up. By Thursday I was getting back to normal. All the time I was telling everyone on the factory what a great place it was and well worth the afterburns - by Friday I'd even convinced myself!!

Seriously though, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

To Mike - I will be going back to Cinque Terre. I'll send the address for you to post your legs. And no, I won't be riding that machine from hell either.
                    Last edited by jim_mex; 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM.
                    Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Great Story, well written, and wonderful photos. As good a travelog as I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing
                      Attached Files
                      Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                      Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                      Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

Jim, what a wonderful walk you had and very much for bringing it to us. I enjoyed every minute. I am all tired out now from your walk, will have to take a nap after that. Thanks again Jim.
                        Mick, - Delta P-20

A smile is a small curve that straightens everything out.

Comment

I agree with Mick, that walk really wore me out...who am I kidding, with my bad knee I would not even think of stating out on a walk like that. That's why we really enjoy your weekends as much as you do Jim...the wear and tear is on your body and not ours. Before long you won't have to worry about that waist line...which I didn't!! Thanks for taking us along with you.
                          Hawaiilad
                          Larry

Comment

Hi Jim. Glad you made the trip to Cinque Terra. It is a hard slog if you do the full length of the walk.You did well. Now you will just have to follow Gino to New Zealand to see some different natural beauty

Comment

Morning folks - glad you enjoyed the show. I really enjoy sharing my adventures with all you appreciative types. After seeing glimpses of the activities in other parts of the world of many forum members its a real pleasure to give something back.

Well today, if the weather brightens up I'm off on a short 25 km car trip to a village, San Zeno di Montagna, high up on a hill overlooking the east side of Lake Garda.

This weekend the village has a small festival where the locals will literally be going nuts! The 'Festa delle Castagne e del Maronne' has as it's centerpiece a wide variety of culinary delights on show based on castagne - chestnuts - and maronne - a similar local nut slightly larger and split down the middle rather like the two halves of a brain. This will no doubt be washed down with a tasty red wine from a village down below on the lake called Bardolino. As the small village will be thronged with folks and parking will be darn nigh impossible I'll drop the car off at another village a little lower down the hill and stretch my legs again - but this time not too far away eh!

PS - Although it's Sunday morning I was up again early at 5:30, not I might add by choice. My usually good memory forgot that here in Europe summertime ended yesterday and the clocks went back an hour last night. The good news is that I was bright and early for the opening of the self service laundry just around the corner. So as you see friends, despite all my adventures I'm still just a basic guy who always heeds his mum's advice from years back. Never leave home without clean underwear in case you are hit by a car and taken to hospital!!!

Have a good Sunday!

Update to David (Kiwi)
                              Glad you spotted this thread and thanks again for the tip. I was telling Gino on the last leg of the walk when I was feeling it a bit in my thighs that you had told me initially this walk was relatively easy going. His comment, 'When it comes to walking, Kiwi's are masters of understatement!!!

I'd love to visit New Zealand and who knows, one day it may happen. I certainly hope so. Cheers!
                              Last edited by jim_mex; 10-30-2011, 03:38 AM.
                              Jim in Mexico

- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X