Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian risotto alla Coca Cola - you gotta be kiddin'!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Italian risotto alla Coca Cola - you gotta be kiddin'!

After spending several months savoring the culinary and alcoholic delights of my temporary workplace here in Northern Italy my high esteem of Italian cuisine suffered a severe blow this week when I was introduced to an aberration of one of the most popular dishes here - the world famous risotto.

It turns out that Coca Cola operate their biggest manufacturing plant in the town of Nogara, Verona district, which is not too distant from areas of country where prime rice for dishes like risotto is grown.

With the commercial power of Coca Cola I guess it had to happen. At a local week long festival celebrating risotto in a multitiude of varieties the company has a new claim to fame to poison the locals with their sugar, conservatives and flavouring enriched world famous beverage. Its called Risotto alla Durello e Coca Cola.

Local restaurants are now offering this 'new' risotto which uses one of the better Veronese wines Durello, along with a can of Coke to produce risotto.

Adulterating good Veronese wine is bad enough but Risotto with Coke? I ask you, is this progress and if so, in which direction, forwards or backwards?

Ok - I occasionally take a coke and am not entirely immune to the fact that it is one of the most unhealthly drinks around, contributing to severe obesity, diabetes, teeth rot and God knows what other side effects in folks who drink it to excess, or as in the case of many poor countries I have worked in, in place of unavailable basic foodstuffs, but it just seems to me that enough is enough and its about time folks took a stance against this manipulative commercial giant and kicked it out of key aspects of our daily life.

Maybe my venting is a waste of time since its only a matter of time before some of these DNA experts discover a new pair of chromosomes on our double helix evolutionary stamp. I guess you know their names?

Coca and Cola!

Ciao!
    Last edited by jim_mex; 10-29-2011, 02:38 AM.
    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    - Albert Einstein

What's next - baked beans with ....
    Ivar ("treslakter" - read as "woodbutcher")

The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time. (Friedrich Nietzsche)

Comment

Now that sounds positively disgusting. I don't think I would serve it to my worst enemy for fear of being accused of using some new kind of torture.

george
      A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
      George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Come to the SE US and try some grits with red eye gravy.

Red-eye gravy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Instant heart attack.
        Scott
        Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Talk about a culinary abomination, I heard McDonalds has brought back the McRib.
          Homer : "Oh, and how is education supposed to make me feel smarter. Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain."

Comment

Coke in Risotto??????? A cultural and culinary travesty, I tell you!!!!!!!!

Jan

Comment

Bill I tried my first ever McRIB????? WTH? It will be my last ever McRIB!
              "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
              Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Hey Jim, if you get tired of the food over there you could always come to the Islands and have some poi (made from the Taro plant) and spam. This has the be the spam capital of the world...they even offer it at MacDonald for breakfast.
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Anybody ever try peanutbutter with cream cheese and red raspberry preserves....???
                  It's better than it sounds...

I remember when Micky D's put out their lobster roll. Hey I'm a native New Englander, and I know that you just can't. Have never tried it, and never intend to...That's just not something I want as fast food..<shudder>
                  Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
                  No task is too tedious for Art.
                  Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                  Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Hey, Didn't Lavern and Shirly drink Pepsi and orange juice..??

Forgot to add,..Funny story Jim...
                    Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                    Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Originally posted by jim_mex View Post
                      I occasionally take a coke and am not entirely immune to the fact that it is one of the most unhealthly drinks around, contributing to severe obesity, diabetes, teeth rot and God knows what other side effects in folks who drink it to excess
                      So, Jim, how does the risotto taste? I've watched some cooking shows and see what they put in some dishes. Some are a hit, while most are a miss.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned "drink it to excess". Just about everythine we take in whether it's supposedly healthy food and beverage will lead to obesity, diabetes, etc.

On a side note, I was at a Wendy's hamberger joint and got some mayonaise on my french fries. First time I ever tried it and it is pretty good. Now, when I think of it I have a side of mayo and ketchup to dip fries in. I know, fries are bad enough and I'm probably killing myself adding mayo, but it does taste good.
                      Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Lavern drank milk and pepsi

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by lwsjc View Post
                          Lavern drank milk and pepsi

Larry
                          Oh yea...Ok, your right..
                          ...Hey it's been a while...lol.
                          Jim

Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
                          Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                            by will8989
                            The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                            Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                          • will8989
                            Reply to Farmers market
                            by will8989
                            Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                            Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                          • tgiro01
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by tgiro01
                            Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                            Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                            Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                          • Linda In Phoenix
                            Reply to Plastic puzzle
                            by Linda In Phoenix
                            Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                            Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                          Working...
                          X