Apologies if I offended anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apologies if I offended anyone

Just to set the record straight, although I was disappointed in the turndown on my proposal for Jewish-themed projects, I fully understood that the decision was "business, not personal". I probably should have heeded my own good advice about waiting to cool down before going public, and been a bit lower key about it, but I didn't.

From my first submission to FCP, in 2007 (the bow box for the design contest), through the current submission, I have always been treated with respect and professionalism. Not everything I've submitted has been accepted, and there have been some rough spots and misunderstandings along the way, but that's to be expected in any relationship, and everything has always worked out.

I've worked with other publishers in the past (caregiving and eldercare books) and can honestly say that Fox Chapel ranks right up there with the best. I will continue to submit projects, as I have been doing, and to be responsive to readers when I can be of help.

That said, I also hope that the folks at Fox Chapel understand that I feel a sense of loyalty and obligation to my friends on the forum, whose input and interaction have made my books and projects far better than they would otherwise have been. Having created the expectation that a publication was possible, I felt an obligation to share the disappointing news. And yes, I probably was a bit too heavy handed, but subtlety was never my strong suit.

So again, my apologies if anyone misunderstood my disappointment as an attack or bad-mouthing of anyone at Fox Chapel. Those folks have always been there for me, and I hope to continue the good relationship we're enjoyed thus far.
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

Carole, don't sweat the small stuff, the folks at Fox Chapel are very professional and will not take your comments as negative feedback. They will take it as the norm for anyone with your talent being disappointed and somewhat upset. You have every right to react as any normal individual would do.You are highly respected on this site so hold your head up high and feel good about venting.

Mike

Comment

Yep I agree with Mike. You did nothing that required an apology. Kudos to you for offering it though.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

My recollection is that you did not name the publisher and it was someone else who actually mentioned Fox publishing. I thought your post was simply reflecting your disappointment; you were not ragging on the publisher for turning you down. Any NORMAL person would have been disappointed.

So, me thinks no offense given; no offense can be taken.

John
        I've Got A Lot More To Learn
        About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
        "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

As the late Chick Hearn used to say when calling the Laker games, 'No harm, no foul'.

You hate receiving rejections, and they really dislike writing them to their previously published authors. Back when you had a post about empty praise and constructive remarks, my words, not yours. Go read that thread and have some tea and quit fretting. Anyone who is offended has been taking too many classes in Victimology 101.
          Terry
          Got Moose?

Comment

Since you offered FC first-dibs on your project, have you considered an on-line offering? Someone in my scrolling club has a book of scroll designs on lulu.com. Lulu offers printed or download to the buyers. He only sells here and there, but doesn't promote it, either. Just a thought, Carole.

Paul
            www.flicker.com/photos/woodworks44224

Comment

Paul, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it as another option.

Terry, I had completely forgotten about the thread I had started about praise and criticism, and how complex that is. Many people had really interesting things to say about that, and it really affects us all, one way or another.

Just out of curiosity, I looked at some sales numbers on Amazon (unreliable though they are) for different types of woodworking books, and the folks at Fox Chapel appear to have made the right call on my proposal in terms of sales potential. So I have absolutely no issue with their decision, just disappointment that it didn't work out.
              Carole

Comment

Carol,, I know the rejection did disapoint you, as it should. But however you decide to go, I would also like to add my name to the list of those that wish to purchase the patterns you have made...not alot would sell where I live, but they are different and I would like to be able to offer them at least....please keep your mind working on those new ideas!!
                Hawaiilad
                Larry

Comment

Will do, Larry.

And just think what a nice display you could have, with Janet's muffins and the cupcake boxes, and a real braided bread and any of the "challah" projects.
                  Carole

Comment

First of all Carole, I reread the first post and saw nothing wrong with it. Just your disappointment in being turned down. Second of all, it really irks me when people don't complain directly to me, as if there would ever be anything to complain about , and either take it behind my back or over my head without ever giving me the chance to explain or offer apologies. I am only guessing that this is what happened. I honestly don't believe it was from Fox Chapel, as they would have been straight forward enough to say on the post to sorry, but ..... and whatever their reasons are. They are just that kind of straight forward people. That's why we all like them, right? And thirdly, we are so much alike it's scarey!!! When I hired my lawyer to sue my mother's 6 brothers & sisters or their heirs, to either sell the property she was part owner of with them or buy her out as I needed money for her care, after they turned their back on her I might add, I told him I shot from the hip first and asked questions later and that was the kind of lawyer I wanted. After my mom passed away, I continued with my suit, pissed off a judge when I wouldn't budge on the asking price for sell out and settled at 9p.m. the night before the trial for only $5,000 less than my asking price. That's a whole other post. Anyway, perserverance pays off and I have no doubt we will be seeing your wonderful patterns someplace else. Keep up the good work!
                    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Wow, Betty, you don't mess around! It's a shame when family acts like that--I'm glad you were able to get some satisfaction, although it was probably too little, too late.

I, too, re-read the initial post, and could not find anything other than disappointment expressed. However, just in case anyone read more into it than that, I figured it didn't hurt to be as clear as I could that I didn't take it personally.
                      Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Chuck Hans
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by Chuck Hans
                        Congrats on all accounts,
                        I have been retired for 21 years and have no regrets. Hope you and your family take full advantage of the well earned time
                        Today, 08:51 PM
                      • cwmagee
                        Reply to New PC keyboard has an error
                        by cwmagee
                        Jim,

Should you ever get bored, you may have found a new retirement/career "Key Board Repair Service"
                        Today, 03:36 PM
                      • Sandy Oaks
                        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                        by Sandy Oaks
                        So true about letting the blade do to cutting....
                        Today, 02:56 PM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Dog Puzzle - Aussie
                        by NC Scroller
                        I have made a number of those Harvey puzzles. They are a lot of fun. You really need to be patient and let the blade cut. Even the slightest pressure can ruin your puzzle piece fit. My go to is a Pegas #3 MGT....
                        Today, 11:24 AM
                      • NC Scroller
                        Reply to Big week here
                        by NC Scroller
                        Congrats on your pending retirement and gaining a new daughter. I have been retired close to 6 years now and I have no idea where the time went. Yes retirement will mean some adjustment but I can tell you it is the best job I have ever had. By the way. If you think retirement means unlimited shop...
                        Today, 11:18 AM
                      Working...
                      X