Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jowshu98
    replied
    Sorry to hear Carole, but I hope you move forward with this, they are all nice designs. I too think a book of religious themed items from a variety of religions would be something of interest to a publisher such as FCP. I'm not a publisher but I believe it would have a broader appeal to many demographics, including the ones you were targeting. I know it's not what you originally had been inspired by but sometimes one has to take a different route to end up in the same place or if lucky, in a better place than they thought they'd be. Good luck as you decide your path going forward.

Leave a comment:

• Kiwi
    replied
    Hi Carole.You do great work and it would be a pity if your designs and projects did not get to a wider audience. It is actually not all that hard to self publish if you wanted to. But the big problem would be the same as Fof Chapel see. would you actually make enough sales to make it worthwhile.
    Instead of limiting your book exclusively to Jewish items you could perhaps have a more general topic such as Religious icons and the Jewish items could just be its own separate section. There are plenty of Christian, Hindu, Islamic and other religious symbols that might give a wider appeal to a book. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Nevertheless keep up the good work

Leave a comment:

• Terry Jay
    replied
    Rejection is a bummer, but perseverance, well, remember Edison and the electric light.

Does it need to be a book? Is a website with electronic patterns an option? What about an electronic book for the Kindle or such? Re-positioning to Holiday with a lot of Jewish items and a strong smattering of other things? Put each pattern here in the Classifieds? Some are strictly scroll saw, but are not a lot of these patterns also suitable for pyrography, cross-stitch and glass?

A book from a publisher is just a traditional and familiar distribution and marketing method. Distribution is easy in the land of PDF and other formats, it is the marketing that is harder. As you market, is a Menora a Jewish symbol or a Holiday symbol or a bit of both? Look up Micheal Medved's site and send him a note asking for his thoughts. Network like crazy.

Just some thoughts from a demented old coot.
    Terry

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Jim, thanks for your generous comments.

Ironically, many of the projects I planned, like the challah themed items, would be appropriate for anyone, since bread is bread. Others that I didn't post could readily be adapted, using the same techniques but altering the decoration. I was determined to make each project interesting in its own right, since I find the few Jewish-themed holiday projects that are available are usually not as interesting or varied as the Christian-themed ones.

What's nice is that this gave me the chance to try new things. I flirted with intarsia (challah bread board and star on the menorah) and segmentation (bread box lid and bread basket), and used Jim Collins' excellent inlay instructions for the hamsa box. These were techniques that I really had not worked with, and wanted to add to my bag of tricks.

Betty, the hamsa box, whose shape is fairly standard, is really easy to make. If you check online, you'll find many ideas for decoration, and the box is the usual construction for scroll saw boxes, with a lid insert to keep the lid in place. I first learned it from Diana Thompson's box book, but I think a box with that type of construction is in the current SSW&C issue. If you sell in areas with a large Jewish population, people should be quite familiar with it, and everyone could benefit from some protection from the evil eye.

Leave a comment:

• will8989
    replied
    Well, Carole, I'm sure you will be flying through that window at warp speed! I would put them on a website for sale. I love the very first one you did, can't remember what it is but I did find the item on line and it seems to be a simple pattern to make. I also live in a very highly Jewish populated area so maybe that is why I have good success at selling them. Is that even a sentence? LOL

Leave a comment:

• Jim McDonald
    replied
    I expected to see great work when I opened this thread, but was more than surprised at the depth of work and not to mention the quality.

The oval bread platter would be a great addition to any table--Jew or Gentile! While there are cultural significances to the pieces shown, I still enjoy them, both for the craftsmanship and the beauty of the art.

You are truly a great sawer, but even more talented as a designer and product developer.

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Rolf, not sure if I'd ever get that desperate.

Don't know the release date yet, but the book was finally cleared for printing about a week ago, which is the final hurdle. As soon as I know, I'll get the word out, with bells on. I suspect that FCP will have it way before Amazon, for reasons that elude me.

Wish it could have been out in time for your show in November (but I just might come, anyway!)

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    If you are bored and need something to do you could always go down to the shop and harass the "good old boys"

Is there a release date for your next book yet?

Leave a comment:

• handibunny
    replied
    Thanks guys, for the suggestions and support.

Rolf and Kevin, you certainly are right about demographics being a factor. Being raised in NY does skew my perception just a bit.

I think a book of projects that includes many groups might be something that the publisher considers, down the line. We'll have to see about that. And for the present, I'll figure out something, I'm sure.

And Don, I offered the pivoting menorah plans for the asking a few weeks ago. Just email me at [email protected] and I'll send you instructions and a pattern. I just gave one of them to a dear friend. That's really what makes this stuff all worthwhile!

In the meantime, I'll just lay low, enjoy this gorgeous weather, and consider my options. Could be a lot worse.

Leave a comment:

• wood-n-things
    replied
    I think you got your answer. you are supposed to do somehting with them yourself. You have a couple of really good suggestions already. I agree with making them a sub category in a holiday themed pattern book with explanations as to what they are and how they are used for the uninformed among us.

You can also open a website promoting your other book(s) and sell your patterns there. of course you will need test cutters....<hint>

Leave a comment:

• tdub4ever
    replied
    Carole, I would purchase the patterns in the first set of pictures. If they are for sale. Don

Leave a comment:

• Jediscroller
    replied
    While it's no fun to get rejection letters (I've gotten more than I can count, hehehehe) you can't fault a publisher for doing so. My own experience in fairs is that I've had very little success in selling Jewish themed items. My own guess is that is has to do with demographics. While Native American and Christian items (as examples) seem to appeal to a broad swath of society, both in finished form and as patterns, Jewish themed items are very limited in their appeal to only 1 particular segment of society. Now, if you could do a craft show in a Synagogue or similar, I'm sure these types of items would be very popular. I agree with the others, you may want to try offering these individually rather than in a book form. (JMO)

Leave a comment:

• Rolf
    replied
    Those are some sweet looking projects, I really like the menorah and the oval tray.
    Carole you do some amazing work.
    Instead of a book dedicated to a particular religion I would rather see these projects as chapter in a Holiday themed book.
    At my craft fairs I do sell Jewish themed ornaments but it is a small percentage of my overall sales. But I do believe items like the menorah would probably sell very well.

Leave a comment:

• Powakee
    replied
    Well, if you publish it your own self I'd like to buy. I still love that collapsible menorah you have in the first set of pics. But, I love the whole set you posted. And, that said, the publisher has to consider it's profit level on the project. They were not rejecting your book they were simply saying they didn't think they could make any money off of you and your efforts. If you are not going to publish yourself rest assured there is someone out there waiting to back your book.

(After the next lottery I win - hopefully money this time instead of only dirt [but, I'm not complaining] - I'll publish your book).

John

Leave a comment:

• Wood Dog
    replied
    Sorry to read the news, but I know that will not stop you. I don't know much about publishing stuff, but could you publish a digital book yourself somehow, if you don't have another publisher. You go girl, you were meant to be in PRINT one way or another.
    Projects look awesome.......and sweeeeet too.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Quartz43
    Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
    by Quartz43
    Perhaps, we could hear from Fox. Maybe they could try some things and see if it makes things better. Or, they can just keep doing the things the same way.
    Yesterday, 09:54 PM
  • markdavd
    by markdavd
    This is a case were the publisher can't win.

I personally like the patterns to be printed at the artist's intended size if at all possible. Let me decide to reduce or enlarge. If I don't have the equipment to make a copy at 100%, that's my problem not the publishers. We all have our own...
    Yesterday, 06:13 PM
  • keystonecop
    by keystonecop
    The original pattern was 7 1/2 x 13 1/4.. The book has no mention of resizing on all but one page. My guess the magazine and the book side of fox has no one who scrolls.. the last books have shown that. enlarged I had to use a #1 blade for many cuts. If I had just copied the pattern in its silver...
    Yesterday, 12:09 PM
  • will8989
    by will8989
    I think he is talking about the size of the patterns lately and extra steps needed to copy and resize them. It took me an hour to copy the fish from the latest issue with all the folding, cutting to match, tape, repeat. If it had been letter or legal size, I could have copied and resize with less hassle....
    Yesterday, 11:55 AM
  • millwab
    Reply to Peanuts #1
    by millwab
    IDK? I remember that Ben sold Pegas blades, but the label on this package just says "Ben's Blades, Ultra Thin Puzzle Blade". When Denny started selling Pegas blades I asked him and he told me Pegas doesn't sell a specific "puzzle" blade. The 2/0 might be their answer....
    Yesterday, 11:29 AM
Working...
X