Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a NO to Jewish-themed projects

Or, to put it in the words of the formal notification:

"I am writing to tell you that the product development team here opted to decline your proposal for a new product called Menorahs & More: Jewish-Themed Projects for the Scroll Saw.

Though we felt the projects were well-done and creative, as well as unique, we unfortunately have not seen satisfactory levels of interest in Jewish-themed scrolling projects. In our experience, projects in this area are not popular with our audience."

Thought you might like to see a sample what would have been in the booklet. I'm not sure where to go from here, and would welcome suggestions from those of you who have had experience with other publishers who might be more receptive to this concept, or who are more savvy about marketing than I am. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

I know how disappointing it is to get a rejection letter - I'm sorry it happened for you on this project.
    Will the magazine consider any individual projects?
    T
    Theresa

http://WoodNGoods.weebly.com

http://woodngoods.blogspot.com

Comment

Theresa, of course they are likely to do so, at the rate of one project per year for the holiday issue.
      Carole

Comment

Can you sell the patterns to another company or are you under contract with fox chapel? They are missing out on some good ideas. You did a nice job.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

Thanks, Keith.

As far as I remember from my last contract, Fox Chapel has the right of first refusal for the next book I propose. Since this proposal was presented formally, and I received a formal turn-down letter, they have no claim on whatever I choose to do with the book or its project plans.

And, as say, when a door is closed, a window opens . . .

And I just took a nice long walk, on a beautiful sunny day. Just need a cup of coffee and I'm ready to move on.
          Carole

Comment

I only have one question, WHY was it declined. Just because it is not popular. Art is art. I myself would love to see more Jewish themed scroll saw items and patterns.

www.pajarostudiowns.com
            Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
            One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

Sorry to read the news, but I know that will not stop you. I don't know much about publishing stuff, but could you publish a digital book yourself somehow, if you don't have another publisher. You go girl, you were meant to be in PRINT one way or another.
              Projects look awesome.......and sweeeeet too.
              Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

Well, if you publish it your own self I'd like to buy. I still love that collapsible menorah you have in the first set of pics. But, I love the whole set you posted. And, that said, the publisher has to consider it's profit level on the project. They were not rejecting your book they were simply saying they didn't think they could make any money off of you and your efforts. If you are not going to publish yourself rest assured there is someone out there waiting to back your book.

(After the next lottery I win - hopefully money this time instead of only dirt [but, I'm not complaining] - I'll publish your book).

John
                I've Got A Lot More To Learn
                About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
                "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Those are some sweet looking projects, I really like the menorah and the oval tray.
                  Carole you do some amazing work.
                  Instead of a book dedicated to a particular religion I would rather see these projects as chapter in a Holiday themed book.
                  At my craft fairs I do sell Jewish themed ornaments but it is a small percentage of my overall sales. But I do believe items like the menorah would probably sell very well.
                  Rolf
                  RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                  Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                  Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                  And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

While it's no fun to get rejection letters (I've gotten more than I can count, hehehehe) you can't fault a publisher for doing so. My own experience in fairs is that I've had very little success in selling Jewish themed items. My own guess is that is has to do with demographics. While Native American and Christian items (as examples) seem to appeal to a broad swath of society, both in finished form and as patterns, Jewish themed items are very limited in their appeal to only 1 particular segment of society. Now, if you could do a craft show in a Synagogue or similar, I'm sure these types of items would be very popular. I agree with the others, you may want to try offering these individually rather than in a book form. (JMO)
                    Kevin
                    Scrollsaw Patterns Online
                    Making holes in wood with an EX-30, Craftsman 16" VS, Dremel 1680 and 1671

Comment

Carole, I would purchase the patterns in the first set of pictures. If they are for sale. Don
                      Don

Comment

I think you got your answer. you are supposed to do somehting with them yourself. You have a couple of really good suggestions already. I agree with making them a sub category in a holiday themed pattern book with explanations as to what they are and how they are used for the uninformed among us.

You can also open a website promoting your other book(s) and sell your patterns there. of course you will need test cutters....<hint>
                        "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                        Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Thanks guys, for the suggestions and support.

Rolf and Kevin, you certainly are right about demographics being a factor. Being raised in NY does skew my perception just a bit.

I think a book of projects that includes many groups might be something that the publisher considers, down the line. We'll have to see about that. And for the present, I'll figure out something, I'm sure.

And Don, I offered the pivoting menorah plans for the asking a few weeks ago. Just email me at [email protected] and I'll send you instructions and a pattern. I just gave one of them to a dear friend. That's really what makes this stuff all worthwhile!

In the meantime, I'll just lay low, enjoy this gorgeous weather, and consider my options. Could be a lot worse.
                          Carole

Comment

If you are bored and need something to do you could always go down to the shop and harass the "good old boys"

Is there a release date for your next book yet?
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, not sure if I'd ever get that desperate.

Don't know the release date yet, but the book was finally cleared for printing about a week ago, which is the final hurdle. As soon as I know, I'll get the word out, with bells on. I suspect that FCP will have it way before Amazon, for reasons that elude me.

Wish it could have been out in time for your show in November (but I just might come, anyway!)
                              Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X