Market for Jewish-themed projects?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market for Jewish-themed projects?

As I've indicated in some of my posts, I've been involved in developing Jewish-themed projects, not necessarily holiday related, for a proposal for a small niche book for scrollers. The biggest hurdle to overcome will be to convince the "decision makers" that there is a market out there.

I know that there was interest in my menorah pattern, and some of you have expressed an interest in projects with Jewish themes, for crafts or holiday fairs, or other purposes. As far as I know, there is nothing out there by way of projects except for the occasional project in holiday issues--usually a puzzle or dreidel or Star of David wall hanging.

I'm attaching pictures of two of the projects I've been working on, as examples of what I'd like to include. One is an intarsia-cut breadboard, shaped like a challah, and the other is a pivot-lid box with a Star of David theme. The other projects are similar in that I believe they have merit on their own, apart from any religious connection

I know that stores that feature Judaica get a fortune for crafts items, and that there's a pretty lively on-line market for Jewish-themed items. I also know that there are bound to be regions where items of this type would sell better than in others. The planned projects are in my typical style of being different, colorful, but not difficult or time-consuming.

Any feedback you can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Carole

Follow me on my blog: www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com

When I was doing craft shows, Jewish themed Christmas ornaments (Star of David and mennorahs) were some of my best sellers.
    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

There are so few items available that when I make them, I sell those out first. They are always in my cut list to replenish. They sell almost as well during the summer shows as they are few and far between some of my customers have told me.
      "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
      Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Carole, you are so right about there not being many patterns. I will be the first to buy a copy of your book. I have made Star of David trivets, fridge magnets and coasters from basic patterns, as well as holiday ornaments and menorahs. I am getting some padauk to make your menorah. I have also made painted menorah puzzles for kids and a tray puzzle for little ones with labeled pasted on pictures of Judaica.

Like Fred and Mike said, what I make sells quickly.

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Thanks for your responses, and for being specific about what you've been selling. I'm trying for a wide price range, with some "higher end" items as well as those that are quick and easy to make, but not run-of-the-mill.

The hamsa box that I posted a little while ago, as well as my challah "suite" (two more challah-themed items plus the board) would be on the cultural-Jewish end, rather than holiday per se. I'm working on a different menorah (still haven't given up on getting the pivoting one published), that should be attractive and quick to make, and I've located a Hebrew-looking font that I plan to put to good use.

If you have any specific suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. We probably won't be pitching the proposal for another month, so there's ample time to try new projects.

But most important is to establish a need for a book of this type, and that's where your input is invaluable.

Thanks, as always, for you help.
          Carole

Comment

I don't know what they're called, but I know that Jewish people have a little dohicky, (Yea, I'm helpful...lol), that they put on the door frame of their house. It's usually put there and blessed by a Rabbi. It's got little Hebrew sybols on it.
            ...Something worth researching though...
            Just trying to be helpful....
            Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
            No task is too tedious for Art.
            Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
            Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Oh yea....
              The breadboard is just wonderful...!!!!
              I like the box too, but the breadboard really caught my eye...
              Jim

The limits of the imagination are imaginary.
              No task is too tedious for Art.
              Rock and Scroll

My Gallery

My Website
              Featherwood Woodcrafts

Comment

Jim, the "dohickey" is called a mezuzah, which is a sacred parchment inscribed by hand with two portions of Torah. It is stored in a protective case and hung on the doorposts of Jewish homes.

I considered trying to make one, but the case is not complete without the parchment, and there are different types of parchments at different price points, so unless someone were doing a holiday fair at a synagogue, or supplying a Judaica store, it wouldn't be practical. I want the book (if I can get the contract) to be as practical as possible.

Glad you like the breadboard. I did the first version as segmentation, then I got brave and tried the version posted, cutting out each half separately so I could get the grain oriented. I used rift sawn white oak, so the grain is very definite and the flecks show up nicely. However, getting the two halves to fit nicely was tough, since the wood was 1" thick and this was my first attempt at intarsia cutting. I glued the pieces together, but also used a 1/4" plywood backer to be sure it all held together.

Inlay, intarsia, all sorts of new techniques to play with! That's why I need another book--it gives me a reason to try new stuff.
                Carole

Comment

Sorry I can't be of any help, but thanks for the education here. Your posted project looks great, good luck with getting another book published, the more, the merrier.
                  This forum is such an awesome place to learn things, all kind of things associated with woodworking, or not. So glad to be a member.
                  Gloria ............... Two memorable things to say in life, "Hello" for the first time, and "Good-bye" for the last.

Comment

The "off topic" section is one of my favorite, Gloria. You never know what will pop up, and it's great when a topic just doesn't fit anywhere else. And I'm getting an education just from the research I'm doing for this proposal--don't know what I'd do without Google search and Wikipedia!
                    Carole

Comment

Ok, Shannon and Bobd, are you listening. There is a HUGE market for Jewish themed items and not many patterns for us to choose from. How about a book from Carole? Like, yesterday? Just kidding, but by next year's holidays would be great.
                      Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Thanks, Betty. I really appreciate your support, and your post made me smile.

If you have any suggestions for projects, please let me know and I'll see what I can come up with. And if the book idea doesn't fly, (no predicting people's thinking) I'll find some way to get patterns out. Promise!
                        Carole

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• NC Scroller
                          Reply to Shrink wrap systems
                          by NC Scroller
                          My process is a bit different. Since I am using heat shrink bags when you seal the open end you trap a lot of air in them. When you start to heat the bag to shrink it you create a large bubble. I continue to heat the bag until it does pop a hole. I have been doing this for years. The shrink wrap...
                          Today, 07:42 AM
                        • will8989
                          by will8989
                          None Linda. You need to find the right heat temp so it shrinks but doesn’t put a hole in the wrap but the tape doesn’t shrink or tear.
                          Today, 12:20 AM
                        • Linda In Phoenix
                          by Linda In Phoenix
                          What thickness of film seems to work the best for puzzles?
                          The bags seem easier on the surface.
                          But the film seems like it is more versatile on size variations.
                          Yesterday, 03:24 PM
                        • will8989
                          Reply to Bruce, the one on probation
                          by will8989
                          Regulations are 150 square feet, this will be 144 square feet so we are good. He’s making it that size Since the sheets are 4’ wide. And the Shelves need to be 4” above my head!! It will be very specific.
                          Yesterday, 10:32 AM
                        • Sandy Oaks
                          by Sandy Oaks
                          As a framer, we have a shrinker wrapper at ArtCrafters. Very simple. Film on a roller, sealer attached, just roll off enough film, seal the film, insert object, seal other end and shrink with a heat gum. We also use Uline as a source. Not sure where our unit can from as it was with the shop when...
                          Yesterday, 09:46 AM
                        Working...
                        X