Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice and Good and Bad News

Good news: We finally settled down in Pike Creek, DE

Bad news: We are renting a townhouse and there is no place for me to make sawdust

Any advice?

I might take up wood burning for the time being.
    Zohar - probably the only one.

Living well is the best revenge

Visit my gallery

Book Reviews: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Can you find a local club? Great dust collection and use the shower stall.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

Im in the same sort of situation, but luckily the laundry down stairs is big enough to fit my saw, table and stool in.
      Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Comment

Do you have a garage at that townhouse?

www.pajarostudiowns.com
        Excalibur EX-21 fanatic
        One of the Chosen few

"The Rumors Of My Demise Have Been Greatly Exaggerated......I am retired!!!!!!!".

Comment

I was in a somewhat similar, but not exact, situation one time and I had to choose between getting 'scolded' by dear sweet Mrs. Geezer by setting up my saw indoors or not cutting at all. I figured it was worth the scolding. . . . . . You can still hear her muttering (sometimes) under her breath "I can't believe I had a scroll saw making sawdust IN MY HOUSE!" Nope, I didn't feel guilty one single bit.

John
          I've Got A Lot More To Learn
          About Leaving Battlegrounds Alone
          "~~ Molly Venter

Comment

Garage, storage room, balcony or terrace, patio, basement?

george
            A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
            George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Years ago I had my ham radio station set up in the closet of the spare bedroom of our apartment. We could close the door and nobody could see the equipment.

Maybe you can put your saw and other required toys/tools in a closet and put a shower curtain rod in the door (one of the expanding kind) to keep the sawdust from escaping into the other rooms. Then use a box fan filter to further control the fine particles...just an idea.
              "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"Make the project so you're happy with it. It makes no difference if someone else likes it or approves of it. If you're happy with how it turned out, then it's a masterpiece". - My Dad 2010

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfMartin View Post
                Years ago I had my ham radio station set up in the closet of the spare bedroom of our apartment. We could close the door and nobody could see the equipment.

Maybe you can put your saw and other required toys/tools in a closet and put a shower curtain rod in the door (one of the expanding kind) to keep the sawdust from escaping into the other rooms. Then use a box fan filter to further control the fine particles...just an idea.
                I hate to tell you this but you are not going to keep sawdust from getting into other areas with a shower curtain and a box fan with a furnace filter. I have been there and done that.

Now if you have a spare room with a window and a door you can keep the sawdust out of the other rooms by putting your fan in the window and keeping the door closed. If there is a cold air return in the room block it off to prevent sawdust from being drawn into it.
                Last edited by Stoney; 09-20-2011, 12:54 PM.
                Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

Perhaps it would be easier if you just moved....once again. What we do to keep our Hobby happy.
                  Hawaiilad
                  Larry

Comment

Hard times! - well i think quite a few folks know that I have my saw in a 20 x 20 bedsittingkitchen in one room one apartment at the bottom of the bed and next to a large outside window, As Stoney suggested I have a fan blowing across the saw to the open window. For lightweight scrolling - puzzles, fretwork and portraits it works because I raise little dust. For anything that needs excessive sanding I'm stuck.

I do have one big advantage in my situation which helps. I'm not part of a 'we'!!!

Hope you find some way out - rent a garage maybe?
                    Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                    - Albert Einstein

Comment

Don't have an answer for your space. I moved mine into my dinning room, just inside the patio door out of the way of everything. Only because my shop is too hot in the summer when the humidity gets high. I have a swamp-cooler, which uses water for cooling. It only works well when it is dry. I don't create a lot of dust, but, clean up as soon as I'm finished. My problem is all the other tools that I need to use, when making frames etc. Right now, I'm working on a Moose antler & can't carve on that in the house, so I have to wait for morning temps that are cooler, to work out in the shop. I wish you luck with your dilema. Take Care
                      PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by will8989
                        Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                        Today, 10:31 PM
                      • tgiro01
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by tgiro01
                        Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                        Today, 09:38 PM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                        Today, 06:47 PM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Plastic puzzle
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                        Today, 06:38 PM
                      • Jim Finn
                        Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                        by Jim Finn
                        The fees here in Lubbock Texas are $45 per year plus $15 per 10' x 10' space each Saturday that I show up. . Crafters are limited to number and type (to avoid duplication, competition) Any kind of set up allowed, meaning, tent or truck or trailer. No insurance requirements, just a sellers permit from...
                        Today, 04:48 PM
                      Working...
                      X