Google Chrome question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Chrome question

I have installed the new Google Chrome and so far I really like it. Seems to make my computer run much faster. Don't know if that is supposed to happen, but it has. The question I have of you that are using it, is, how do I copy something I want. I was trying to print something from a post (words) and I highlite the area I wish to print, click on the little wrench in the top right hand corner, and click on print and up pops a page that says it can not show a print preview when the built-in PDF viewer is disabled. I went to the plugin page and clicked on enable on the PDF viewer, but it still does not work. Anyone have any help regarding this?

Thanks
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Larry I have Chrome and have never done what you suggested.
    I tried it and it wanted to print the whole web page/site.
    If I want too print some text I high light it and then paste it into Note Pad or some similar word processor document.

Hope that is of help or not LOL.

***Merlin***
    Try not! Do,
    or do not
    There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Comment

Hi Larry - I switched to Google Chrome a few months back after having some Java plugin problems with Firefox and I definitely find its faster than most of the other browsers. It does take a little bit of getting used to though since the interface is lean and not all of the options are easy to find.

For your specific problem, if you want to copy for example a block of text simply highlight it with your cursor and right button click and a copy option will appear. You can then paste whatever you copied into any suitable application.

If your text isn't real text but is an image you click just off of it at for example the top left corner and drag across to the bottom right until you have it highlighted and then a right button click will give you a copy option. I usually then past into Word where I can then edit the copied image if necessary by cropping. Alternatively treat it like copying a normal image by simply right button clicking it and then select the option 'Save image as...'

If you want to print the whole of a webpage a right button click off of the page into the background borders will give you a print page option.

Highlighting item areas to copy can sometimes be a bit tricky. Its just something you get used to doing but when everthing else fails or starts getting complicated, for example when I want to copy a large section of the page which includes images and text I use a screen capture software - in my case Techsmith Snag It and just select and capture the area I need

Once you get used to Chrome I'm pretty sure that you will like it. It has a few quirks but is generally a much more comfortable browser to use.

Regarding the quirks, one I and many thousands of users hate is the fact that on slow internet connections the time out to load a page is very short and you can't configure the option to give more time so occasionally you may find yourself faced with a error message page saying the server you are trying to reach is unobtainable..... Other than this problem though I like generally this browser

Good luck!
      Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
      - Albert Einstein

Comment

Jim, you are so correct on the error message. The first time it came up, I thought, here I really like the speed of this thing but now I'm not sure...but I reloaded the site and it worked just fine. I will try to copy based on what you have written. I do not use a screen capture software...hell, I am doing good to know how to turn the darn thing on....so I will have to play with it awhile. I just don;t understand when they come out with something new like this, they change it so much from other browsers. Guess it just makes you think more. If someone is setting here and showing me how to run the darn thing, I understand, but for me to learn myself, it sometimes does not happen. I do not have Word on this computer, so I will try Merlins idea of placing it in Notepad...I think I have that. How are you doing over there with your scrolling Jim? Getting much time to do any?

Thanks guys.
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Hi again Larry - Merlin raised a good alternative copying into Notepad but I suggest that if you are running Windows that instead of using Notepad you copy into Wordpad.

You can usually find this program in the Start menu Accessories listing. Wordpad has a big advantage over Notepad in that as it's name suggests its a very light version of Word and not only can you selectively format parts of text but you can also copy images from web pages into this program.

Btw - if you want a much more professional but free version of am Office suite that is compatible with Microsoft Office you can download the open source suite called OpenOffice which is pretty darn good. But for simple letter writing or just to produce reference documents Wordpad is an easy and capable program.

As to scrolling time. I aim to switch on the saw tomorrow and produce something for the first time in three weeks. Since the factory cranked back into production at the begiining of the month life has been 14 hr hot and sticky days followed by a meal and crashing out so not too much leisure time although last Sunday morning I did manage a trip out to a town close by that I wanted to visit. Just when i got back home in early afternoon to try some scrolling I received a phone call and had to call in to work for a couple of hours. Nothing too out of the ordinary for the work I do but a little frustrating when your leisure plans are spoiled! As they say 'you takes the money, you pays the price!'

Have fun!
          Last edited by jim_mex; 09-17-2011, 03:03 AM.
          Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
          - Albert Einstein

Comment

Yes Jim, I do know about and use Wordpad....I will try it out tomorrow....time for bed here in Hawaii
            Hawaiilad
            Larry

Comment

No need to do all that Larry. Highlight what you want to print then do a CTRL P and use the advanced link at the bottom if you are using Win7 and select selection if it's XP just select selection in both cases just the highlighted text will print. Hope this helps.

DW
              Life is hard. It is even harder when you are being stupid.
              John Wayne

Comment

Instead of the click and drag method of copying your text, you could click anywhere on the page, then hit "control" and "A" which will select the entire page, then hit "control" and "C" which will copy it. Then when you get to Notepad or Word, hit "control" and "V", which will paste it. "Control" plus "P" should simply print whatever you've selected in any of the applications, but I've never tried Chrome, so maybe not.

Comment

When I print a portion of a page, after I highlight the selection I simply press print to get the printer dialog box. In the lower left of that box is a "Page Range" area. Within there is a radio button "Print Selection" Choose that and press ok. Done.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X