What Pulls Them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Pulls Them!

These where requested by Mike. They are Photos of the front ends of my "Name Trains"
    It's amazing how when you take a close up photo you notice things you never did before.
    enjoy.
    Attached Files
    Regards
    John
    "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
    Some of my Stuff
    Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Those are awesome. of course, you made them. Thank you for taking the time to share those great pics. Love the "Love bug" and the truck with the smoke stack is to die for, and the engine looks like it could if only it thinks it can....<smile>

Side note, do you ever encounter folks who i refer to as fuss budgets who refuse to buy anything with a what they consider a flaw in them like a knot in the wood? I always try and reassure them that the knot just adds character to the piece and can not fall out but I always seem to have that one person who considers all my work inferior then because one piece is "flawed"...
    Last edited by wood-n-things; 08-31-2011, 09:07 AM.
    "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
    Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

John, those are wonderful! Your toys reek quality!

Mike, next time just tell them one's persons flaw is another persons unique-one-of-a-kind item!

Comment

John - those are tooooo cute!
        DeWalt 788

Comment

Lovely work John, as usual.
          Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Comment

John, those are Great ! You have the finish down to perfection. I didn't know "choo-choo's pulled cars & trucks, CHuckle !
            PERK

Comment

Thanks Mike, Sally, Mayo, Perk & Sappy.

Originally posted by wood-n-things View Post
              Side note, do you ever encounter folks who i refer to as fuss budgets who refuse to buy anything with a what they consider a flaw in them like a knot in the wood? I always try and reassure them that the knot just adds character to the piece and can not fall out but I always seem to have that one person who considers all my work inferior then because one piece is "flawed"...
              Originally posted by sappy View Post
              Mike, next time just tell them one's persons flaw is another persons unique-one-of-a-kind item!
              As for knots etc, I put an amazed look on my face when somebody comments about a flaw in the timber and say "What, That's natures art".

I used to cut out any imperfections, but as time has gone along I tend to like the look of knots etc. I think they add character. It just took me a long time to get over my training, where we'd only use clear timber for cabinets etc.

The funny thing is that here in Kal, I'd sell about twice the amount of trucks as compared to engines. Road Trains have a lot to do with that. I'm sure that in the city and South, engines would still be the biggest winner. As a whole I'd also say I'd sell two boys names to every VW (Girls)
              Regards
              John
              "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
              Some of my Stuff
              Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Hi John - you sure know how to put us mere mortals to shame. Getting one really good looking piece is an achievement but getting all the production you constantly churn out to look just as good is the sign of true skill and care and attention to detail.

As to anyone complaining about natures imperfections, you are too much of a gentleman in your replies but I imagine that under the hood what you are really thinking is that you should maybe tell the whiners to 'get knotted!'. That train is simply too full of character, knot and all!

Keep wowing us with your work mate. We love to see it and it pushes us to get better. Cheers
                Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
                - Albert Einstein

Comment

Great work, John,
                  Thanks for sharing and God Bless! Spirithorse

Comment

Great work as usual John. I would be sorely tempted to tell the whiners and perfection seekers that it is difficult to soar with the eagles when you are selling to buzzards. Not that buzzards don't have a place in society but...

george
                    A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
                    George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Some fine looking toys there,sure to be treasured by any boy or girl.
                      Tony

Comment

I almost forgot that You are the master!! thanks for the refresher. your painting skills are amazing.
                        Rolf
                        RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                        Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                        Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                        And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

John -- Lookin good -- the toys I mean. Thanks for showing us the leading edge of your name trains.
                          Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

I happen to like the knot. It gives the piece character. I often leave the knots in my projects and use them to great advantage. I alway tell people that what they are seeing is a unigue piece of art that can never be completly replicated. In this day of modernization, you would be surprised how many people value one of a kind art work.
                            Tammy

Pressure makes diamonds

Comment

Hi John

Uncluttered and stunning..

Just one thing that bothers me, and that's the hooks.

But maybe its just me

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market "survey"
                                by will8989
                                The one I do is under a pavilion on County Property, about 60 spaces. They run 4 “seasons”, spring 6 weeks, summer May - mid September, fall sept to Mid November, and holiday fare Mid November until end of year. Cost is $75 per season, per day as they are open Saturday and Sunday. If you are called...
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • will8989
                                Reply to Farmers market
                                by will8989
                                Ours are run by the state Ag Dept. They have very strict rules as to masks and distancing. The Ag Dept does come and visit to make sure rules are being followed. We stand behind the table and use the tailgate for packaging. I have people place their credit card in the reader on my phone and remove...
                                Yesterday, 10:31 PM
                              • tgiro01
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by tgiro01
                                Linda - Here is my gimmick for the Incra 1000SE on my SS CNS. I scratched a line 3/4-inch in from the blade end of the fence. I then use a ruler to set that line 1-inch from the side of a carbide tooth on the blade. Then I line the 1-inch mark on the fence ruler to the scratch line.

Now,...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                It was a tough choice on the miter gauges---based on recommendations here. I researched the Kreg and the Incra. They were pretty much tied. I let fate decide it. Went into my nearest 2 hardwood stores. #1 sold Kreg, but they were out of stock and didn't know when an order would come in that...
                                Yesterday, 06:47 PM
                              • Linda In Phoenix
                                Reply to Plastic puzzle
                                by Linda In Phoenix
                                Nice puzzle. Go for the gusto---scroll it next time!! Several of the quality brands of blades make blades just for acrylics. With a sharp blade and the right speed it's all good.
                                Yesterday, 06:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X