Made in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in the USA

This appeared this week in the Charlotte,NC paper. No offense to our international scrollers but it is about time we stop giving our work away. It is great to see movement and pride in making Made in the USA a household word again.

Reborn in the USA, fifth-generation furniture maker back in business | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
    Scott
    Creator of fine designer sawdust.

WOW, Scott, that is something ! Glad to hear something of a "made in the USA " story.
    I can't imagine the people of China wanting American Made Products? I try not to shop at Wal-Mart because so many of thier goods are from China & other Far East countries. I just want to be able to buy American Made products. Thanks for your link.
    PERK

Comment

G'day Scott,
      You will never give offence to me with those sentiments mate. I feel the same way about Oz.
      Good on him for giving it a go.

I get really wild when I see all the imported stuff here, when we are quite capable of making it ourselves. I believe it's nothing but pure greed that brings so many imports into our country and most being substandard.

Just a quick story then I'll get of my soap box.

A few years ago a Current Affairs Programme" did a story about a Leather Jacket. The figures I use may be wrong as my memory isn't what it was, but I think they are pretty accurate.

They bought a Jacket from a retailer, removed all the tags and then took it to a local leather manufacturer to get a quote on having a hundred of these jackets made. The quote came back at $120 each.
      They than contacted the Chinese Manufacturer of the original Jacket and asked them for a quote for 100 jackets. Price was $45 each.
      The kicker is the retailer was selling the imported jackets at $280 a piece, so obviously $160 wasn't a big enough profit for the greedy *******s.
      Regards
      John
      "The Golden Mile"John Wayne
      Some of my Stuff
      Retired Medically Unfit Police Officers ***.

Comment

Yes, a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by ubgoofy2003 View Post
        I try not to shop at Wal-Mart because so many of thier goods are from China & other Far East countries.
        I stopped off at Wally World a few weeks ago and picked up three items. I got home an look, and to my surprise, all three said "Made in the USA". That doesn't happen too often.
        Dan H

I would rather be friendly to a stranger than be a stranger to my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnB View Post
          G'day Scott,
          You will never give offence to me with those sentiments mate. I feel the same way about Oz.
          Good on him for giving it a go.

I get really wild when I see all the imported stuff here, when we are quite capable of making it ourselves. I believe it's nothing but pure greed that brings so many imports into our country and most being substandard.

Just a quick story then I'll get of my soap box.

A few years ago a Current Affairs Programme" did a story about a Leather Jacket. The figures I use may be wrong as my memory isn't what it was, but I think they are pretty accurate.

They bought a Jacket from a retailer, removed all the tags and then took it to a local leather manufacturer to get a quote on having a hundred of these jackets made. The quote came back at $120 each.
          They than contacted the Chinese Manufacturer of the original Jacket and asked them for a quote for 100 jackets. Price was $45 each.
          The kicker is the retailer was selling the imported jackets at $280 a piece, so obviously $160 wasn't a big enough profit for the greedy *******s.
          Yes John this is typical in the good ole USA too. Some retailers charge as much or more for a Chinese made item than it could be produced right here.

The excess profit made on some of these goods should be considered a criminal offence and to think this is being done by some of our most patriotic flag waving corporations.

Greedy? You bet! Patriotic? Not so much!
          Stoney aka Al

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!

Comment

i think the problem is greed, as John correctly said, the corporations have the buying power to get ridiculous prices and even if they could make a decent profit buying local, they will not do it.
            look at me here in Honduras, i tried to made simple letter puzzles for local kinder gardens, i price them cheap, really cheap, like 5 USD( the market here is like that) and what happened, a big store is importing the plywood ones made in China that sell for 2 USD. so you see, even here is the same, big companies are putting small shops out of business.

By the way NC, if by those chances in life, you ever see a scrollsaw bowl that says 'Hecho en Honduras' belive you me, i am not trying to take over that market, most likely was a friend on vacation that bought some of my craft to take over there.

take care.

Nayo

Comment

Originally posted by nayo View Post
              By the way NC, if by those chances in life, you ever see a scrollsaw bowl that says 'Hecho en Honduras' belive you me, i am not trying to take over that market, most likely was a friend on vacation that bought some of my craft to take over there.

take care.

Nayo
              If I find one I would probably try to buy it knowing one of my SS friends made it.
              Scott
              Creator of fine designer sawdust.

Comment

Everythying I make I put a little sticker on it that says "Made in the USA". I also have a custom brand that I burn on each item that I can.

Comment

jblock9907 that is a very great idea. I have a branding iron for my name. I may have to purchase another with the Made In The USA.
                  America needs to really get on the bandwagon with this and demand products made here.
                  I research as much as I can to purchase items made here.

Comment

The thing about government, at any level, is that when someone gets elected to an office to serve the best interests of the people who elected that person for that purpose, that person suddenly becomes an expert on everything!
                    Some time ago, a letter to the editor appeared in the Charlotte, NC paper, written by the owner of a small, recently formed, sock knitting company, located in the state of North Carolina. He berated the government officials for their decision making, specifically in regard to the awarding of contracts to furnish socks for the State Prison System.
                    He pointed out that the government of NC had helped him establish his business, which employed a number of individuals, by granting him tax breaks, Government insured loans, and grants. The Government had also helped him hire new employees, helped in the training of those employees, and in general, for the best interests of the people of the State of North Carolina, helped him in many ways to get his business established.
                    The government then solicited bids for the furnishing of socks, for the prison system. The contract was awarded to another North Carolina company, which had under bid his company by a few cents per pair. The government acted in the best interest of the people of North Carolina, right? If the bid had been awarded to the writer of the letter, the people's money would have gone to employees, suppliers, utilities, government tax coffers, etc., with the majority of that money remaining in the North Carolina economic community. Because the people's money went to the other company, the majority of it went to China, where that company purchased all it's merchandise from.
                    Sorry for the long story, but people in government, from the local dictatorial Homeowners Associations, to the Washington, DC crowd, irritate the living crap right out of me!
                    Manufacturer Of Heirloom Quality Sawdust

I wasn't born in the south, but I got here as fast as I could!

Dewalt DW788 Hegner Maximat 18

Comment

That's just about the whole story Sawman ! It's all over the world, I think. We could go on forever about the greed in big business & government. The one thing about Scrolling, is, we can stamp " MADE IN THE USA " or wherever it is made & it will be very difficult to change it too. When I go to a department store for clothing, etc. I pay real close attention to where it is made & I will always look for the USA label. Another thing to think about is this--- do we know that it was made where the package says it was???
                      Like I said, we could go on forever !!!!!
                      PERK

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Linda In Phoenix
                        Farmers market "survey"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Curiosity regarding farmers markets.
                        I have only looked into a few, and I know that each one has different requirements.
                        For those of you who do them, what are 'typical' requirements for yours?

The nearest one to me that might have potential, and allows crafters requires:...
                        Today, 11:14 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Truly a nice display. I'm happy for you! Our nearest 2 farmers markets are still food items only as county and city covid rules are still being applied. Our best nearby one is on county parks department property and they haven't lifted essential business and crowd restrictions yet. But the food...
                        Today, 11:00 AM
                      • Linda In Phoenix
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Linda In Phoenix
                        Sawstop instructions are some of the best I've ever worked with. Each part comes labeled with a letter to match instructions, hardware in color coded and labeled to match labels and colors in instructions. Full poster size instructions with pics in addition to manual instructions. Could only find one...
                        Today, 09:57 AM
                      • Rolf
                        Reply to I admit it... I splurged on a new "toy"
                        by Rolf
                        So glad they were supportive, it is a bit disappointing that they had to be. But like any tool manufacturer they have to out source many of the components like the motor. At least the motor is mounted externally for an easy change. How true was the blade to the miter slots etc.
                        I like the fact...
                        Today, 08:34 AM
                      • will8989
                        Reply to Farmers market
                        by will8989
                        Steve posted it about 2 weeks ago. I just put out a small sampling of items to see what people are interested in. Seems to be everything! I did notice I had more credit charges than last year. But the ones who paid cash were the ones who paid $7 for a gallon of milk and $10 for a loaf of sourdough bread....
                        Today, 08:17 AM
                      Working...
                      X