digging fence post holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digging fence post holes

One of the pojects i have underway this summer is to put up a picket fence .

I used a shovel and at times an old drill rod to try and smash and dislodge some of the packed soil .

The other day I ran into a real tough hole . I thought how easy it would have been to get a machine with an auger to drill the holes .

I then realized my electric hand drill with a metal drill bit might do the same thing .
    Using a 5/8" x 6" drill bit I poked holes all around the perimeter and center area .

With the earth loose I shovel it out till the next tough area .

Water was suggested by my wife , but I thought I'd try this first .

Roger
    Attached Files

Living here on the Island of rock (lava rock) one of the first tools for the yard I bought was a nice smaller Jack Hammer. It has come in so handy around the place. My back will not allow me to use it any longer, but the young men I hire to dig holes for fence posts and flowers, really like using it...sure saves on the digging. I think I found it on Ebay with shipping for about $200...that was 7 years ago.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

Has anyone ever tried one of those "as seen on TV" augers that you use to plant bulbs etc. It is used with a drill.
      https://www.awesomeaugers.com/?MID=1275174
      Last edited by Rolf; 08-27-2011, 01:26 PM.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, I think I bought one years ago and it ended up in the pile of other things I bought from TV.....If the ground was all top soil it would work....
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Living here in glacial debris land any hole you try to dig ends up hitting a rock. Rented one of those power augers once and we both got thrown when it hit a rock and the top began to spin when the bit stopped spinning. Went back to the pincer type hole digger.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• leehljp
            Reply to Work in Progress. What is with FOX publishing?
            by leehljp
            I haven't posted in a few months but I have been keeping up. I agree with what Mark is saying. To make everything for everyone would be very difficult. And I understand (from my wife's perspective) that computer apps are totally made for nerds - in her opinion. The breakdown is often between two of...
            Yesterday, 11:37 PM
          • will8989
            Reply to Old Tool - Reborn
            by will8989
            I really like that. Will have to show it to Bruce.
            Yesterday, 10:47 PM
          • evilbadger
            Reply to YoraHome Laser w/CNC Engraver/Router
            by evilbadger
            Yes I'm still using the one I built I did some upgrades to it though. I swapped out the pipes for linear motion rails and made the gantry out of aluminum. I guess if I were to upgrade now I would be looking for a full size machine that could do 4x8 sheets of plywood with an automatic tool changer but...
            Yesterday, 09:28 PM
          • vgraf
            Reply to Old Tool - Reborn
            by vgraf
            Looks great!
            Yesterday, 08:15 PM
          • tgiro01
            Old Tool - Reborn
            by tgiro01
            With all these new tool stories, I was working on and old one. About 9 years ago, I built a router table. Then, before it was finished, I had to start using it. And I have used it over the years. A couple of months ago, While I was contemplating cleaning, I looked at the machine and decided to finish...
            Yesterday, 03:24 PM
          Working...
          X