digging fence post holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digging fence post holes

One of the pojects i have underway this summer is to put up a picket fence .

I used a shovel and at times an old drill rod to try and smash and dislodge some of the packed soil .

The other day I ran into a real tough hole . I thought how easy it would have been to get a machine with an auger to drill the holes .

I then realized my electric hand drill with a metal drill bit might do the same thing .
    Using a 5/8" x 6" drill bit I poked holes all around the perimeter and center area .

With the earth loose I shovel it out till the next tough area .

Water was suggested by my wife , but I thought I'd try this first .

Roger
    Attached Files

Living here on the Island of rock (lava rock) one of the first tools for the yard I bought was a nice smaller Jack Hammer. It has come in so handy around the place. My back will not allow me to use it any longer, but the young men I hire to dig holes for fence posts and flowers, really like using it...sure saves on the digging. I think I found it on Ebay with shipping for about $200...that was 7 years ago.
    Hawaiilad
    Larry

Comment

Has anyone ever tried one of those "as seen on TV" augers that you use to plant bulbs etc. It is used with a drill.
      https://www.awesomeaugers.com/?MID=1275174
      Last edited by Rolf; 08-27-2011, 12:26 PM.
      Rolf
      RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
      Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
      Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
      And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

Rolf, I think I bought one years ago and it ended up in the pile of other things I bought from TV.....If the ground was all top soil it would work....
        Hawaiilad
        Larry

Comment

Living here in glacial debris land any hole you try to dig ends up hitting a rock. Rented one of those power augers once and we both got thrown when it hit a rock and the top began to spin when the bit stopped spinning. Went back to the pincer type hole digger.

george
          A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
          George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• keystonecop
            Had to post this just for Rolf.
            by keystonecop
            117 puzzles have had their first bath in watco natural oil. My yearly order from the store that buys from me.
            No I do not eat that much mayo....
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Today, 05:32 PM
          • Rolf
            Excalibur 21 repair #2
            by Rolf
            I just finished rebuilding my friends 2nd EX 21, This one was in much better shape than the first. No rusty bearings this time but I re-greased them anyway.
            I adjusted the front back motion and and the blade is also at 90 degrees to the table when using the locating pin.

I used...
            Today, 02:44 PM
          • Bill Wilson
            Reply to Recommendations anyone?
            by Bill Wilson
            If it means the difference between cutting something and doing nothing, then go for it. It might not be the choice of most of us, but we aren't working under the same constraints as you. Hope it works out for you. Looking forward to a review, once you get a few miles on it.
            Yesterday, 02:42 PM
          • old fa_t
            Reply to Recommendations anyone?
            by old fa_t
            After totally over-thinking this, I have decided to go ahead with the Micro Mark Saw. It will enable me to do everything I can imagine in my limited space and budget.
            I thank everyone for offering advice, and I look forward to receiving more. As soon as I get it and set it up, I will post pictures...
            Yesterday, 07:37 AM
          • will8989
            Reply to Need any wood?
            by will8989
            Figured it out. The photos were Live and I had to edit them. As you can see, we were quite lucky they didn’t come crashing down in a storm. The last picture was a 2 trunk tree. My son already split a truck load today.

Next project, the roofer next week. Yippee....
            04-20-2021, 08:56 PM
          Working...
          X