Earthquake today, hurricane Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake today, hurricane Sunday

5.9 was the quake centered in Virginia. Nothing like standing in your house and see it sway from side to side!! It actually moved!!! Stuff fell off the wall, vehicles out side bouncing around. Very frightening!! And Sunday Irene is expected to roar through. Last hurricane to roar through was Isabelle and that was no fun at all!! Looks to be an interesting week!!! The weather channel has a red box around Sunday when they give the 5 day forecast. Think they're trying to tell us something?
    Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Mother nature is really ticked about something. Glad you're ok.
    Janette
    www.square-designs.com

Comment

I just saw it on the news over here. Must have been very scary for everyone. Glad you're ok and lets hope Irene runs out of steam soon.
      Take care
      Mick
      I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. Winston Churchill

Comment

Didn't feel the quake and there's no use complaining about the weather, it won't listen. But glad everyone is all right.

george
        A day without sawdust is a day without sunshine.
        George

delta 650, hawk G426

Comment

Felt here in Wilmington, DE too (about 30 minutes south of Philadelphia).

I heard a truck pull up to the house next door. Looked out the window and seen it was the local fire company. So I watched what they are doing. They started to unscrew the caps off the fire hydrant. Then I watched one firemen open up the valve on the hydrant. So I determined they were flushing the hydrants in our neighborhood. As soon as the firemen open up the valve, thats when I started feeling the shaking. I was thinking what in the world are they doing to cause the house to shake.

After the shaking stopped every neighbor was outside asking if we felt something. Still thinking it was caused by the firemen opening up the fire hydrant valve. So the neighbors were talking to the firemen about it. Not to long after the shaking stopped I get a call from my wife. Both her and I asked each other "Did you feel something?" She said she felt the shaking to. I went back outside to tell everyone that my wife felt something 20 minutes away. The firemen (three of them at this time) were all on their phones trying to figure out what it was. Then we started hearing reports of the shaking being felt in Philadelphia and further north.

I felt a small quake before about 20 years ago. Felt like a truck shaking the ground. This one was the weird thing I have ever felt.
          Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

Well George & Bill, get prepared for Irene. She is shaping up to be a dandy of a storm. Last one was Isabelle that I could have totally done without. What trees didn't blow down during that storm, we took down afterwards that could crash into the house.
            Betty

"Congress needs to realize it is a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Not of the people, by the people and for Congress." - Dr. Benjamin Carson, Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Johns Hopkins Hospital

Comment

Hang in there Betty - A force 3 knocking on your doorstep is definitely something you don't answer the door to! Batten down for Irene and just wait for the lady to take her course and disappear and I hope you don't suffer any damage as a consequence of her passage.

As to the earthquake, I've felt a few mild ones on my travels that just caused some nervous questions and I hope I never have to feel anything stronger! I'm glad that you had a similar experience.

Take care!
              Jim in Mexico

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
              - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by will8989 View Post
                Well George & Bill, get prepared for Irene. She is shaping up to be a dandy of a storm. Last one was Isabelle that I could have totally done without. What trees didn't blow down during that storm, we took down afterwards that could crash into the house.
                Sure hope that you survive Irene as well as you did in the earthquake. On the bright side, down trees are a good source of inexpensive wood. Tune up the chain saw as you prepare for the big wind.
                Mtnman Jim

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it

Comment

Stay safe and hang on to your hat if Irene does not peter out or take a different course. Weather has been so unpredictable and vicious this year.
                  "Still Montana Mike"

"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
                  Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC

Comment

what...
                    we had 2 here in California, one last night at 11:36 pm and again this morning at 9:57. they both were 3.6 on the fault line that runs about a 1/4 mile from my house and the center of the quake was 17 miles north of me..

I'll take a earthquake over a tornado or hurricane anytime...

Trout
                    Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
                    Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Originally posted by Janette View Post
                      Mother nature is really ticked about something. Glad you're ok.

Comment

Hey, glad the shake wasn't bad. We haven't had anything since last Easter. It was a long one & shook the house pretty good. We were on our back patio(solid cement) & it felt like we were in a boat. That was sure a wierd feeling. I'll take that anytime over wind storms though. Hope you get through the 'cane without any problems. Good Luck.
                        PERK

Comment

This is shaping to be one awful hurricane. Hope everyone on the east coast is prepared. We live about 2 miles east of the Chesapeake Bay, and no matter what patterns they show it is a dead hit. You guys on the coast, batten down what you can and leave if you are told to.
                          Betty

Comment

My co-workers felt the quake here Long Island NY I was walking and did not feel it.
                            Regarding the Huricane, to be safe I pulled my boat out last night so I don't have to worry about it.
                            Rolf
                            RBI G4 26 Hawk, EX 16 with Pegas clamps, Nova 1624 DVR XP
                            Philosophy "I don't know that I can't, therefore I can"
                            Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
                            And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Comment

I keep watching the Weather Channel. Everytime they show the predicted storm path keeps getting closer to the shore line.

If it keeps to what they are saying. Looks like, even though we are inland up to 80 mph winds (maybe less) and very heavy rain.
                              Bill

Dewalt 788 Type 1

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X