Take a moment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take a moment

I would like to take a moment to remember the family and friends and of course the victims of 911.

-Bill
    -Bill

My saw is a DeWalt788 Measure twice; cut once; count fingers after cut

GOD be with each family member, friends help to relive their pain and suffering today as this country remembers the acts of terrorism forced upon it 5 yrs ago today
    Daryl S. Walters Psycotic scroller with a DeWalt 788

Comment

I have been watching it on TV, it seems like it was yesterday when it happened.
      I will never forget!

Bob
      Delta P-20 & Q-3

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger. Then it hit me!

Comment

9/11, A day I will never forget. A day that changed our lives forever.
        Marsha
        LIFE'S SHORT, USE IT WELL

Comment

Do you remember where you were when the planes hit?

I was covering the court beat for a small town newspaper; there was a sentencing in a high-profile (for the area) case in the morning; I usually worked evenings.

i was leaving the courthouse, and because I was a news junkie at the time, I had NPR on in my car. They were talking about the first plane hitting when the second plan hit.

I just drove in to the newspaper (6 hours early) to get started on the articles. I didn't even think about anything until I'd been there a couple hours...then I started worrying about my wife. I was scared to death because I didn't know what was happening. I didn't even know if I'd see my wife again...

Bob
          www.GrobetUSA.com

Comment

Being somewhat removed from the event, through distance and a border the impact was not the same for me.The day started out normal like it did for everyone. I remember hearing of the events as they took place. I walk with a radio and earphones every day. The news was shocking!

The thing for me, that made everything sink in, was looking up in the sky for days and seeing no air traffic.
            When a plane finally flew over head people were running outside their houses and looking up.

It was surrealistic, something like a B grade science fiction.
            That is when things sank in and I knew the world would never be the same again.

So now I need a passport to travel from Canada to the US. This isn't a bad thing I think it should be the same for all countries.

New guidelines when being a passenger on a plane.

Will all the new precautions stop terrorism? No.

But there was a time in my small town when I could go to bed with the door unlocked and leave possessions on my patio.

Those freedoms have gone too.
            The way we look at freedoms will never be the same.
            Last edited by CanadianScroller; 09-11-2006, 03:07 PM.
            CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
            "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
            Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

At the time, we were living directly under the #6 runway at the Atlanta airport, about a mile from the control tower, as the crow flies. It was noisy to say the least. Those few days without any air traffic was really strange. It kind of reminded me of that movie The Day After about the A-bomb attack. It was almost like the world was about to end. Very freaky feeling.

I was getting ready for work when the report came on about the first attack, I was watching the TV when the second jet hit. I think I was at work for about an hour before they closed the office for the day.
              Kelly
              "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Comment

I was working on patterns on the living room table (whick I can't do anymore) with the TV on but the sound down It was CNN. I saw a film of the first plane hit the tower and I thought "Man, the special effects they are doing now are fantastic, wonder what movie they are talking about?". I turned the sound up and found that it was not a movie and it was no longer fantastic
                Chuck D

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
                Jean De La Bruyere...

l
                Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw

Comment

for me I was cutting something out on my saw. with the radio on. I don't always have the radio on. but this day i did. and when i do have it on. i don't always listen to it. just the chiter chater of my saw. but i heard it, and went into deniel. I thought some one was making some really bad joke. maybe a , attack, pratice thing. so I just sawed on. then it just kept going on about it. so i stoped , and went in the house , turned the tv on. and wow. still in denile, I kept watching. and then started sobbing. got on the phone right away, trying to volentier, to go help out. with no sucsess. I felt helpless.
                  my husbond and i was planing a trip to vegus. and while there. we went to hover dam. there was lots of secutity. couldn't hardly get across the dam in are truck. we stoped , and walked down to go where the engins was. we was policed down. and to tell you the truth i was so scared. knowing , the dam was a target, so they told us. not a good place to be in another attack. but it all was ok. but to this day. living buy 3 of the bigiest bases. I still listen for plains. sometimes I forget how lucky I am to live in a country, that is there to keep me safe and free, and when i get into my little boo hoos. I try to remmember those who gave their lives to clean up the big mess this ack of terrorisom cosed. I still have my flag , hanging out . on my front fence. to show my support. and take it down every night. roll it up very gentaly. and put it in a safe place in my house. I only oner, and respect what are flag meens, but I do more. I try to obey the laws, and support my country. and adore my God. I guess i am kinda a woos around people. but tell anyone this. when it comes to my country, or even my neiboring countrys freedome, and rights. I can be a real *****. and watch out. becouse I will not lay down, or bend over,or hide under my bed, or shiver in feer. for any one. I may not always fight for me. but you can bet i will fight for, my kids, and friends, and you. love ya Evie
                  Last edited by minowevie; 09-12-2006, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I was at work and one of my employees was listening to one of the Chicago "Shock Jocks" talking about it. He told me what was going on and I said "Yeah right!" thinking it was another "War of The Worlds" broadcasts. I went to the front office and was asked if I had heard about it. I then went to the shipping office and had them turn on the tv and saw the second plane hit. I left for a few minutes and came back in time to watch the buildings collapse. The only thing I could say was "Bin Laden". I don't know why his name came to mind and the guys in that office still can't believe I said it. My sister was teaching at the University of Maine that year, but had gone to a convention in Las Vegas with my brother-in-law for that weekend. She flew back to Maine on Sunday and he was supposed to come back to Chicago on Monday. He was stuck there all week. When I got home from work, I put up a flag (which has been replaced a number of times, but hasn't been taken down since).
                    The next day at work, I scrambled to find a large flag to fly above the plant. W.W. Grainger had 3 in Michigan and that was all they had left. I ordered one and had my maintenance men put up a pole on the highest point of the plant with dusk to dawn lights on it. Again, it has been replaced a number of times, but will fly there as long as I work there.
                    My plant is in one of the approach areas to Chicago Midway Airport and we usually see planes all day long. That week with no planes was eerie. Every so often I'd see a vapor trail in the sky and knew that those were military planes, usually going East toward New York.
                    I didn't know anyone who was lost on any of the planes, but I took the losses personally and still do. Ever time I watch a show on the History Channel, I get depressed, thinking about the stupidity of the terrorists' actions and the loss of lives they caused. I can understand living and dying for a cause or one's beliefs, but to kill innocent people for no reason?
                    Five years later, I still can't understand the reasoning behind killing people in the name of religion. But I guess that's what the Crusades and the Inquisition were about.
                    I'm proud to be an American and if I were younger, I'd join the military to help defend this great country. All I can do now is thank those that do and offer prayers for those who were lost.
                    Finally, if you see a soldier in uniform, thank them for serving and defending our country. That's something they don't get enough of. Don't forget the veteran's too.
                    Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

I know I'm a few days late on replying to this one, but I was out doing work ups and sea trials coming out of an overhaul with the shipyard. When I read this thread I was really touched when I read what you had to say and how you felt about what happened that day. Like some of you I didn't want to believe it was real either, but reality set in quickly and it affected me and my family in a big way 2 months later.

I was stationed onboard the aircraft carrier USS John C. Stennis and we were operating in the coastal reagion off southern California doing training exercises and preparing for an upcoming WestPac deployment. I work up that morning like it was just another day at sea, and we were getting ready to return home the next day. After getting dressed I passed a TV with the news on showing the first tower after it was hit. My first thought was it had to be some sort of freak accident (and I think that's just what the news was saying) A few minutes later I went back to that TV to watch and see what was really happening, and that was when the second plane hit. There was about 3 dozen or so sailors (enlisted and officers) watching this one TV when it happened and nobody said a word. We were all shocked to see this happening live on TV, and on our own soil. That was when we knew this was no accident. After morning quarters we were all right in front of that TV again, watching, waiting, praying. When CNN reported the Pentagon was hit and there was another plane possibly heading towards the capital we knew what was coming for us and we were ready.

Within hours we had received our orders for the next couple weeks. Every ship in the Navy that was capable of going to sea left their home port. The ships that were not capable were being put back together as fast as they could and sent out as soon as possible. Every sailor, marine, soldier, and airman was recalled to their unit and put on high alert. Every military installation in the world was immediately shut down to anybody without an active duty military ID card, and once you were on the base, you didn't leave. Our orders were to protect our homeland in any way we can.

What the sailors and marines stationed onboard USS John C. Stennis did was remain on station off the coast of southern California in support of Operation Nobel Eagle. A small portion of our airwing was flown out to us to patrol the skys over LAX, San Diego Lindburgh field, and all surrounding municipal airports with orders to protect them and the surrounding cities, and shoot down any unauthorized aircraft in the area. While these orders were very hard to follow out knowing we could possibly be killing innocent civilians, we knew what the alternative possibility was and we were ready to carry out these orders to their fullest extent if necessary.

After 2 weeks of operating off the coast we had to pull in. The Stennis Battle Group had received new orders for the next month and a half and we had things to finish up. We were put on shore leave for a couple weeks not to leave the San Diego area, and when we reported back we had another few weeks at sea to finish up our required exercises to be considered deployable. It was hard work with many long days, but in the end we were ready to go.

Monday November 12, 2001. Veterans Day. Literally hundereds of media people crowded outside the gates of the base trying to get in with hundereds more already inside and lined up at the pier. Thousands of people, sailors, marines, and family members were crowded around the gates at the pier with tears in their eyes and love in their hearts saying their final goodbyes. On the other side of that gate was 97,000 tons of steel with about 80 aircraft sitting on her flight deck and inside the hangar bays. Our weapons magazines were completely full with more bombs and missiles sitting on the flight deck. While the ship was an impressive site, all attention was directed towards the people crossing the brow, waving to their family and friends one last time, not knowing when they will ever see them again. We deployed 2 months early, and we were ready.

During our 7 month deployment we never knew when we were to return home, never knew what countries we may visit, if any, and never knew what was going to happen next. We spent about 5 months in the Arabian sea flying sorties over Afghanistan. During our 112 consecutive days at sea we participated in Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Anaconda, droping countless number of bombs, firing missiles, and doing everything we could to protect the real heros who were losing their comrades and friends on the gound. We sailed and fought with Australians, Canadians, French, British and many other nations by our side. And our one liberty port we were able hit while we were in the Arabian sea was Bahrain. After 112 days straight at sea we were still able to find ways to relax and have a little fun, even if we were visiting a Muslim country in the Middle East where Americans were not very welcome to begin with.

Monday, May 25th, 2002. Memorial Day. We returned home to a hero's welcome with over 15,000 friends and family waiting for us on the pier. It was a long and hard journey with few chances to relax, and we were happy to be back on our own soil again.

I don't think I will ever fully understand how the friends and families of those who gave their lives will ever feel, but there is not a day that goes by that I don't see a yellow ribbon/magnet on somebodies car saying 'Support Our Troops,' or an American flag waving on the front of somebody's house of over a business, and I think to myself 'We really do live in a country full of wonderful and caring people, and I'm happy to be a part of it.'
                      Attached Files
                      Jim
                      DeWalt DW788 & Dremel 1680

Comment

Jim thank you so much for sharing that with us. and thank you so much for protecting us. Huray,,,,, Huray.,,,,,Huray. your friend, and neibor Evie

Comment

sorry I'm late responding to this thread

I remember walking into the living room and turning on the TV just as they showed the second plane going into the tower. I had know idea what was going on but learned real quick what happened. My heart goes out to the families of the those taken away from us. As an ex serviceman, it chills me to think that there are such people ? living that would do such a thing to people who have nothing to do with them.
                          If you enjoy what you do, you will never work a day in your life....

Dick Tallman

Comment

Sorry for the late reply - been on vacation-

I live and work in New Jersey - I used to commute to NY through the World Trade Center every day. If I worked there when it happened- I most likely would have been going through the courtyard between the two buildings when the first plane hit. I know two people who were injured by debris falling from the wreckage and two people from my town were killed in the towers and one was on one of the flights (don't remember if was the one that hit the Pentagon or the one that went down in PA).

My wife called me and asked if I had heard the news around 9:55. I looked out my office window towards the city and saw the smoke. I turned on the radio and shortly after heard that a second plane had hit. I knew something had happened because I saw more smoke.

I was scheduled to attend a meeting in a different location at 10:00 and went up the Parkway to Newark. From Newark you could get a pretty close view of the towers. I was appalled at the amount of smoke that was coming out of them and I had a feeling of numbness throughout my mind and body.

When the news came that the towers collapsed I was appalled. For those of you who were never up close to those buildings - you cannot grasp how large they were. Where I grew up 40 miles away from there, you could see the top two thirds of the buildings on a clear day from a mountain ridge. And don't forget, when the towers fell, they destroyed five other buildings that made up the world trade center and serveral in the blocks that surrounded the complex.

As some of you know, I monitor the raptor migration during the fall. A freind of mine was manning a hawk watch site about 35 miles from NYC on the east side of a ridge that had a good view of the towers. He did not have a radio but could clearly see the smoke. About ten seconds after he saw a second billow of smoke ( the second plane) a fighter jet came from the west low and directly over his head towards NYC. A couple of seconds later he was knocked off of his feet from the sonic boom. I am sure that orders had been given to stop the plane but it was too late.

I went home shortly there after. My wife and I cried while holding onto each other. We got our kids out of school and broke the news to them. We needed to be around each other for the next couple of days.

I normally go to church each Sunday. I was amazed at how crowed it was that weekend! This lasted for a while but sadly is back to normal.

I will never forget! Not only did this happen to my country, it happened in my backyard. The world has changed and for the worse. This has been happening to other countries, Israel and Great Brittan, to name a few for some time. It has actually been happening to the US for over twenty years, but the military has been the target, not civilians. Beruit, Saudi Arabia, the Cole. I am sorry it took this event for us to finally wake up. I am afraid many of us are going back to sleep. They should replay the footage of those planes hitting the towers every week.
                            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• jim_mex
                              New PC keyboard has an error
                              by jim_mex
                              Partly because I have trouble seeing small letters with my one remaining eye and also because my existing wireless keyboard gave up the ghost a couple of days back I went out this morning and bought a new wired keyboard from our local Oice Depot.

I chose one with really big blue illuminated...
                              Today, 03:47 PM
                            • jim_mex
                              Reply to Big week here
                              by jim_mex
                              Hi Jim - A nice story regarding your son biting the bullet. Congrats to all!

Re your upcoming retirement. I wasn't really looking forward to mine but to be honest, apart from being home based due to this darn virus, I've gotten accustomed to getting up in the morning and deciding what I...
                              Today, 03:32 PM
                            • Quartz43
                              Reply to New tools
                              by Quartz43
                              You have found out about retirement. Busy, busy and busy. And you need more tools!
                              Today, 03:29 PM
                            • wjbclocks1
                              Reply to Big week here
                              by wjbclocks1
                              Enjoy life, Congrat....
                              Today, 01:30 PM
                            • Jim McDonald
                              Reply to New tools
                              by Jim McDonald
                              Good luck getting ANY of that garden space!
                              Today, 01:24 PM
                            Working...
                            X