X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gill
    Fallen Angel
    Registered User - Level 2
    • Mar 2005

Well, I have to confess I adore blood (black) pudding! It's rare that I eat it though, because it's so fattening . Nowadays we're not allowed to use real blood for black pudding because the European Union is worried about it posing a health risk . Nevertheless, whatever the commercial producers use as a substitute is just as tasty . I've got a feeling there may still be some individual butchers who stick to the old ways, but they're very few and far between.

Here's the bacon recipe I use. There are so many good bacon producers in North America, though, that I suspect there are better recipes easily available.
    BASIC CURING MIX

8lb salt
    2oz saltpetre
    2lb sugar (use whatever you fancy, different sugar, different taste).
    Mix this all together well.

Use 1½oz of the cure to each pound of meat. As far as curing time, use the inch theory: 7 days for each inch thickness of meat i.e. 21 days for 3 inches of meat. Might need longer, might be shorter, a matter of experience and taste.

Get together the appropriate weight of cure, use half for the first part of the process, rub in well. Put the meat into a good quality plastic bag. Put a layer of mix in the bottom of the bag then place the meat on top of this, tie the bag up tightly, making sure all the air is excluded. Keep the curing temperature around 40/42F (I put mine in the fridge).

After about four days a lot of body fluids will have leached out, so undo the bag(s), drain the fluid off, remove and re-salt the meat. DO NOT overdo this, just a light covering, return to the bag and retie.

When the meat has finished it’s curing time, remove it from the bag, wash thoroughly in clean water, put string through one end and hang it up to dry. The temperature should be around 50F, there should be a through current and not in direct sunlight. This should take about one week to dry off and equalise. However, this summer I just left my bacon uncovered in the fridge after washing it, and it seemed to dry out fine.
    I found that the bacon was much easier to slice with an electric slicer if you leave the rind on throughout the curing process.

I love bacon when it's cut into very small pieces, fried until crispy, and mixed with pesto sauce. Then I add some cooked and quartered brussels sprouts and mix it all with freshly cooked pasta. It may sound like an unlikely combination, but it tastes gorgeous and it's a great way to get people who hate sprouts to eat them.

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

• PeteB
      Member - Level 2
      • May 2006

Solid gold, Gill! What I like about it is that any cut of pork can be used, right? It would be a break from the regular stripey American bacon (which can be very good, but expensive, too).

I'd like to try home-made corned beef, too, using tongue, the round, or a sirloin tip instead of the customary brisket.

Thanks!

Pete

Comment

• Woodbutcher68
        • Aug 2005

Sharon,
        There's a bar just West of Chicago that has a Turkey Testicle Festival every Fall. I've never been there and have no plans to, but I'm sure you'd love it!
        And I agree on the use of Pork fat. Like Emeril says: "Pork Fat Rules!"
        Fred

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!

Comment

• Gill
          Fallen Angel
          Registered User - Level 2
          • Mar 2005

Hi Pete

If you should have difficulty getting hold of saltpeter, it's worth checking out a certain online auction .

As you say, you can use that cure on any cut of pork. I've cured 3" thick loin quite successfully.

I've never made corned beef. Over here we can buy canned corned beef but it's not the same as what you're describing. I've used brisket before to make a pickled beef which is very tasty - unfortunately, I don't have the recipe on my computer.

Gill
          There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
          (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

• SharonW0111
            Banned
            • Jul 2005

Gill - that is the recipe we used too. try cooking with bacon in your green beans ,peas ( except english or sweet ) any bean -- heavenaly- we also used the same recipe with out the sugar to make saly pork or fat back as some call it- great for seasoning too.
            Fred try the fries - if you don't think about what you are eating you will like it. then it won't bother you after that and you'll be a fan of them also. by the way --you can send me a order or two anytime
            Sharon

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• meflick
              Reply to Well it is done.
              by meflick
              Scott, glad to see one surgery behind you. Prayers for both of you as you try to work with only one hand....
              Yesterday, 08:58 PM
            • Dan A
              Reply to Wood Sources
              by Dan A
              I have been looking around and like i said in another post. Someone I only know in passing brought me several boards of Oak in different thicknesses. I really want to use them for making collapsible baskets and boxes. I'm still trying to find the right angle and blade to use.

My cutting...
              Yesterday, 05:57 PM
            • Dan A
              by Dan A
              Take it from me, go easy. I'm still waiting for my right shoulder to quit hurting and that surgery was back in September. I hope everything goes well and you heal quickly.

Dan
              Yesterday, 05:33 PM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              Thanks Denny....
              Yesterday, 05:11 PM
            • NC Scroller
              by NC Scroller
              Fibber, it is a degenerative joint problem. Actually on both hands. If all goes well with this one I will have the right done in the fall....
              Yesterday, 05:11 PM
            Working...