Restoration of Workshop Electric Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration of Workshop Electric Supply

Approximately 3 months after losing the electricity supply to my workshop, today it was restored.

It's a long story, but the shortened version is that we had a fault on one of our household electricity circuits. So we called out an emergency electrician who failed to repair the problem properly (he spent most of his time on his cell phone talking to the head office, asking what he should be doing ) but decided he didn't like the look of the wiring to my workshop so he disconnected it. Yet the wiring had only been installed the previous year by a qualified electrician! Anyway, the emergency electrician then said he'd have to rewire it all at a cost of £1000 ($1900).

A couple of days afterwards, we found a poorly wired cable in one of the household's electric sockets, unplugged it, and the whole circuit then worked fine. The emergency electrician hadn't detected that fault. Even worse, the circuit is completely separate to the workshop circuit.

Since then we've been looking around for a reputable electrician to reconnect the workshop and today we found one. He said no re-wiring was neccessary and he reconnected us for a mere £30 ($57).

Tomorrow I'm going to re-introduce myself to some old friends who have been neglected for far too long; it's time to start making sawdust again .

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

That is awesome news Gill.
    Make a pile of sawdust for me too!
    CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
    "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
    Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Wow Gill , do I know how that goes. I am so glad you have solved your dillema. just wont you to know I am listening. your friend Evie

Comment

That is good news, Gill. It's always a good idea to get a 2nd opinion on anything. The difference between $1900 and $57 is immense. I'll be looking forward to seeing some of your work.
        Mike

Making sawdust with a Dremel 1680.
        www.picturetrail.com/naturephotos

Comment

Gill...sorry to hear of your expensive misfortune. I wish I could have been there. I've been an Electrician for over 40 years....and I'd have done it for two...no, make that three beers!!!
          If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

Gill:

I am totally unable to comprehend how you can still write a somewhat cheerful note to us after that experience with a crafts-person. Myself, I would be teething on 3/4 inch plywood because I would be so mad. Typing a note to this group?... forget it. In the USA, we refer to that as the English 'Stiff Upper Lip' syndrome or something. You have impressed me with your deep down cheerfulness.

Well anyway good for you.

Phil

Comment

Gill,
              We've only had "real" electricity (from the grid) for about 2 1/2 years - for the first 19 years here, we had solar and a generator.
              As a person who lives near the edges of "the grid", I empathize with you for your electrical woes. And what an arrogant crummy electrician. A pox on him!!!
              You must have been feeling terrible withdrawal all this time - luckily you have your new job to take up some of the slack.
              Welcome back (home) to the sawdust club.
              Sandy

Comment

That is good news! I can only imagine the projects you have lined up!

What's it going to be?
                Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Oh, the sweet smell of freshly sawn MDF!

(The batteries on my dust-shield visor need recharging, but I couldn't wait for that before making a few cuts. Now, let's be sensible and hunt out the old strap-on dust mask...)

I've started cutting a segmentation pattern someone sent me recently, but it isn't for publication yet. In the meantime, here's the last piece I put together:

I know it's a familiar pattern but the stained ash motif does work rather well on a plain ash background for a clock.

Gill
                  There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
                  (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Comment

Gill,

That is good news! I can't wait until you start posting pictures of all the work that will be flying out of your workshop now!

Regards

Gary
                    Gary

My saw - Axminster AWSF18

Comment

I like that Gill.
                      I recognize the pattern and my wife and I were wondering if you will be allowing others to use it?
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
                      "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
                      Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

Gill your clock is just beautiful, the wood grain kicks it off. God I love wood!

I too was wondering if your dance partners pattern was available I would love to make a clock using it also. My in-laws just retired after having their own dance studio for 20 years. Boy would I get brownie points for that

Gill, quit reading these post and go make some saw dust!
                        Bill

DeWalt 788

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

God gives us only what we can handle.. Apparently God thinks I am one tough cookie.....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X