It's Not Cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Not Cricket

I wonder how many people on this forum will understand the title of this thread. Basically, it's a euphemism for saying that something underhand has taken place; cricket is a game played by gentlemen who behave like gentlemen. Usually.

Today there are all sorts of items that journalists could be concentrating on; the situation in Iraq, the Israeli/Lebanese conflict, war in Afghanistan, Al Quaida terrorist threats... the list goes on. But what's dominating the press on this side of the Pond tonight? Unseemly behavior in a cricket match.

I'm trying desperately hard not to say something vulgar about 'ball tampering' and just about managing it .

When the standard of sportsmanship falls below an acceptable level in a cricket Test Match, the English sit up and take notice. The rest of the world can go to Hell in a handcart but while cricket remains unsullied, nothing is irredeemable. Sometimes I wonder just how we ever managed to build an empire.

There have recently been some threads on how Canadians were viewed by foreigners. I deliberately didn't participate in that debate because I feared I'd be exposing my country to lampooning of a culture that can be totally bizarre, wholly indefensible, yet peculiarly endearing. Sometimes I think the English truly are a race apart from the rest of humanity...

Gill
    There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.
    (Schopenhauer, Die Kunst Recht zu Behalten)

Gill;
    We have lots of crickets here in Canada. They rub their back legs together at night and make a heck of a *cricking* noise like . . crick crick . . . crick crick . . (hard to explain) and keep us awake.

Sorry . . . couldn't resist.

W.Y.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/willyswoodcrafting

The task ahead of us is never as great as the power behind us

Delta P-20 Scroll Saw, 14" x 43" Craftex Wood Lathe and Jet 10" Mini Lathe .

Comment

hi Gill..thank you for this endearing account of our cultural differences..I went to read the article about the cricket match and was immediately made aware of how little I know about the game..actually I know nothing about the game! LOL..that the problems encountered at the game would be a national focus made me smile! We are no different with scandals from our sports, and the lunacy that sometimes over takes otherwise quietly sane people..

ahhh, if we didn't have some of these moments life would be a bit less interesting
      Last edited by Sue Chrestensen; 08-20-2006, 08:45 PM.

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

I have lived on both sides of the pond and although I am proud to be Canadian I will never forget my roots.
        I will not profess to know the ins and outs of cricket
        BUt I will attest to the rules of gentlemen.
        In a country where a handshake is as strong a bond as a written document, the thought of underhanded goings on at a cricket match is intolerable.
        If the Americans are known as the most patriotic people in the world then I would have to say the English are a nation who keep their word. Ethics and morals are uncomprimising.

As for a bizarre culture. It is all relative. Even different sides of the same country have different cultures.
        McDonalds in Newfoundland for example has Mc Lobster.
        The Prairies and the west coast have McRib.
        and I still indulge in the odd CHIP BUTTY.
        CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ
        "proud member of the best scroll sawing forum on the net."
        Ryobi SC180VS scroll saw EX21

Comment

No big words for ya, but........................ Gill... ain't no Pakistani ever gonna tamper with my balls!!!
          I never saw a cricket match, but I can hear them and frogs croaking and singing outside! Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I have had hours of good-natured arguments with two British co-workers about the merits of cricket and baseball. I never player cricket - but I maintain that any game that allows you to take a break for tea is not a sport!
            Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

The best definition of sport that I ever heard was a physical recreation for which you must change your shoes. So by that token, cricket and ice dancing are sports whereas billiards and darts are games.

Perhaps this definition should be amended to incorporate a requirement for performance enhancing drugs to be administered? Or would that be too cynical?

Gill
              There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is readily adopted.

Comment

Any one who cheats the sport and themselves by using performance-enhancing drugs is not a real athlete in my book, but I agree with your cynical inclination - as this is becoming so prevalent.

As far as the sport vs. game argument, much stronger drinks than tea are usually mixed with billiards and darts! I don't know if that's allowed in cricket.
                Dan

-Just do'in the best I can every day

Comment

The mere reference to stopping for tea only refortifies this as being a gentleman's sport. There is something refined about sitting down for a cup of tea from a fine china cup. It does put things in perspective.

No one would say alcohol and rifles are a good combination but shooting is a sport. I am not sure how we would fair at hunting if the animals were given performance enhancing drugs though.

Hmmm crickets on steroids, what next?
                  CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianScroller
                    The mere reference to stopping for tea only refortifies this as being a gentleman's sport. There is something refined about sitting down for a cup of tea from a fine china cup. It does put things in perspective.

No one would say alcohol and rifles are a good combination but shooting is a sport. I am not sure how we would fair at hunting if the animals were given performance enhancing drugs though.

Hmmm crickets on steroids, what next?
                    Personally, I think that the animals should be given rifles - now that would be a sport!!!!!!

Gary
                    Gary

My saw - Axminster AWSF18

Comment

I did once read that many Americans say "We have the right to arm bears" or something like that

Last edited by CanadianScroller; 08-21-2006, 09:13 AM.
                      CAЯL HIRD-RUTTEЯ

Comment

He's been here five minutes...

Here, Gary, borrow my tin hat . I think you might need it.

Gill

Comment

I can't help it - I'm Welsh - it's what we do best!!!!

Now - where's taht tin helmet?......

Gary
                          Gary

My saw - Axminster AWSF18

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X