Question for Neal and Toni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Neal and Toni?

What kind of glue do you guys use for your segmentation or intarsia projects ? I usually use aleens or a few other glues , but Ive been having problems with pieces staying glued together and to the backer board . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Thank you ,

Charlie,
    Charlie
    "Everything Happens for a Reason"
    Craftsman 18in. 21609

http://wolfmooncreations.weebly.com

Hi Little brother. I am not Neal or Tonie. but i use tite bond. it is fast tacking. or even probond, is cool too. just my 2 cnts. your big sis Evie

Comment

I'm not Neal or Toni eather

I use Super Glue or Loctite quick setting Epoxy adhesive, it's a 2 part mix...
      It comes in 5, 15, 30 and 60 minute set times...most of my projects use one tube but I have used differn't set times on one project...for the pieces I want glued right now I'll use the 5 minute and when I need to move things around for awhile I'll use the 60 minute..depending on where you get it, it runs about $2.99...

Trout
      Last edited by Trout; 08-06-2006, 06:19 PM.
      Hawk G-4 Jetcraft
      Fish are food, not friends!

Comment

Kewl thank you Evie and Trout Will give those a try
        This aleens wood glue just isnt staying glued together for very long ,not sure why ,but will give those a try :-)

Thank you

Charlie,
        Charlie
        Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Charlie, maybe your glue is old? I use the aleens quick dry tacky glue and it holds great for me.I use on everything from fretwork clocks to segmentation and even for attaching hangers on some of the thinner things where a screw or nail cant be used. Dale
          Dale w/ yella saws

Comment

I thought about that too , so I went out and bought a new bottle of it and it was doing the same thing . could it be that the segmentation pieces are to big or heavy for it ? they are like 3/4 thick and fairly good size pieces ,will try some more glues and see how they hold up as well

Thank you ,

Charlie

its either that or the only thing it wants to glue is ducks lol
            Charlie
            Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

little brother. have you got this magazine. or catalog. from Woodcraft. www.woodcraft.com page112 the glues are on 113 tons of impho. they will send you a free cataloge. hope this helps , it did me. it talks about alot of the glues out there. Evie your big sis just type in glues ok. Oh ya, you don't have to pay those big prices. when you get the cataloge, you will see. and you can get tite bond in you lockale hardware.
              Last edited by minowevie; 08-08-2006, 08:33 PM.

Comment

yup got that one ,thats probably where ill order it from lol Thank you Sis

Thank you Sis
                your lil brother
                Charlie,
                Charlie
                Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Hi Charlie,

Sorry I am late to answer you, I've been away from the computer for a couple days.

I use carpenters glue, old fashion wood glue, nothing more. I edge glue my work first and then glue it on a backer. I will rough sand the backer, which has recently been hardwood for the most part.

Hope that helps.

Take care
                  Toni

Comment

Hi Charlie..
                    one of the tidbits that I try to remember to always do is to rough up (coarse sand paper works great) the side of the backer that the pieces are glued to..I forgot to do that one and the project went thru some major slipage ..I use a 60 grit paper to rough up the backer board if that helps at all.. tite bond I, II, III all have different set up times etc, although totally great glue I discovered that I prefer the old fashioned, tried and true yellow carpenter's glue

looking forward to seeing what you're making

Sue Chrestensen

Comment

Thank you Sue and Toni

Will have to try roughing up the backer that might help me alot with it and that carpenters glue is what I used on this wolf project I did .

Thank you All

Charlie,

No worries Toni
                      Charlie
                      Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

My apologies

Charlie...I'm really sorry I missed this thread when when you posted it. I generally see them all but this one slipped by me. My sincere apologies. I use hot glue and sometimes good old Elmers carpenters wood glue to hold the segments together. I run a bead of hot glue along the kerf on the back side between the segments much like a fillet weld. It sets up quickly and holds the segments in relief. I use it for speed more than for structural integrity. I use silicon adhesive (clear caulk) to bond the completed piece to the frame backer. That provides additional structural integrity to the piece and it will NOT fall out of the frame. The only time I use wood glue is when I glue a segment that has no "interlocking lobes" to help hold it in. A lot of folks don't agree with the hot glue method so all I can tell you is to try it and decide for yourself. I've never had one fall apart and I don't have to worry about glue running through the kerf on to the face of my project. I don't suppose there's a right or wrong way to do it as long as it stays together and you're happy with the results.
                        If it don't fit, don't force it....get a bigger hammer!!

Comment

No apologies needed

no worries Neal
                          Ive seen in your posts a few times that you use the hot glue with your work and was curious how well it worked for you . Ive been using the elmers carpenters glue but was curious how well other ways worked with it . I will definetly have to try it and see how it does ,sounds like it could work better for me .Thank you Neal I really appreciate the help and info

Thank you,
                          Charlie
                          Craftsman 18in. 21609

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X